234 messages Options
1 ... 89101112
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Whiskey/Bourbon/Rye/Scotch Thread

Brownski
This post was updated on .
When people find out what my job is they’re always like “ooh, do you have any extra samples around?”
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
The Russell’s didn’t last very long. I found 1/2 bottle of Fighting Cock Bourbon too but I think I’ll need to go inside for some ice cubes for that
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I emptied a bunch of wine samples too. The recycling guys must think I have a real problem
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
How did you use the Lillet?  I picked up a bottle years ago so I could get my Bond, James Bond,  on once in a while (Vesper Martinis), but I haven’t used it for much else.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
How did you use the Lillet?  I picked up a bottle years ago so I could get my Bond, James Bond,  on once in a while (Vesper Martinis), but I haven’t used it for much else.
Just to sample customers, didn’t have much appeal beyond hat.  I poured probably 90% into the lawn. Had to go inside for ice cubes a while ago. A certain person might be on to me me.  Will report back.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
At the start of the stay-at-home order i cracked a bottle of glenlivet 12 that had been gifted to me and hanging around a bit, finished it last week. This morning wifey went for a booze run for cinco de mayo and asked if i wanted anything and i passed, that went down too smooth and fast... i did have some wacky dreams though!

Will have to try some of these others
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
gorgonzola wrote
At the start of the stay-at-home order i cracked a bottle of glenlivet 12 that had been gifted to me and hanging around a bit, finished it last week.
Glenlivet sells 12 year in a double magnum?
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
At the start of the stay-at-home order i cracked a bottle of glenlivet 12 that had been gifted to me and hanging around a bit, finished it last week. This morning wifey went for a booze run for cinco de mayo and asked if i wanted anything and i passed, that went down too smooth and fast... i did have some wacky dreams though! Will have to try some of these others
I’m a big glenlivet fan. Always have a bottle lying around. But it’s a bit pricey to drink all the time. I found a good single malt blend called monkey shoulder. Easy to drink and only mid $30’s per 750.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Brownski mentioned Monkey Shoulder a few pages back, I think I’ll try that next.  Need to make a trip to the liquor store soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Sheep dip is another vatted malt  whisky worth trying. There is a pleated version though so you have to be careful which one you pick up.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
Brownski wrote
Sheep dip is another vatted malt  whisky worth trying. There is a pleated version though so you have to be careful which one you pick up.
  I have had some high end scotch heavy on the peat. I find them almost undrinkable.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Picked up the Monkey Shoulder.  It’s ok.  It’s probably better than ok....but I just don’t think I’ll ever like Scotch the same way I like bourbon and rye.  

Is it sacrilege to defile a decent Scotch by using it in a cocktail?  I’ve enjoyed making an old fashioned with some of the Japanese whiskies I’ve had, thinking I’ll try one with the Monkey Shoulder?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by sig
sig wrote
I have had some high end scotch heavy on the peat. I find them almost undrinkable.
I mentioned it earlier in this thread, and Talisker Storm isn’t particularly high end.....but, man, that one was rough drinking for me.  The briny-ness on top of the heavy peat.  Just not my kind of flavors.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Picked up the Monkey Shoulder.  It’s ok.  It’s probably better than ok....but I just don’t think I’ll ever like Scotch the same way I like bourbon and rye.  

Is it sacrilege to defile a decent Scotch by using it in a cocktail?  I’ve enjoyed making an old fashioned with some of the Japanese whiskies I’ve had, thinking I’ll try one with the Monkey Shoulder?
Mix away. All the whisky ambassadors, master distillers, master blenders always say the same thing: “the best way to drink my whisky is the way you like it.” One of them told me that the most popular drink in Spain at the time (10 years ago maybe?) was Balvenie & Coke.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
<quote author="Brownski">
JTG4eva! wrote
Mix away. All the whisky ambassadors, master distillers, master blenders always say the same thing: “the best way to drink my whisky is the way you like it.” One of them told me that the most popular drink in Spain at the time (10 years ago maybe?) was Balvenie & Coke.
had "redemption rye" the other night . i am not much of a rye drinker but its one of the better ones i have had. made an old fashion then poured a couple more over the used ice. if your not a scotch drinker then you are wasting your time with monkeys shoulder. when i tended bar i was a bit of a snob. if you ordered goose and cranberry i made fun of you. then it occurred to me if you want to drop that kind of cash who am i to turn my nose up. scotch purest make fun of me because of all the ice in my glass. but brownski is right on. "drink it the way you like it"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I like the spicy-ness rye brings, for a change of pace.  Royal Crown Northern Harvest Rye is pretty good, and not very expensive.  WhistlePig makes some great rye but it’s a little beyond my price point.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
I like the spicy-ness rye brings, for a change of pace.  Royal Crown Northern Harvest Rye is pretty good, and not very expensive.  WhistlePig makes some great rye but it’s a little beyond my price point.
You know what the best rye on the market is? I’ll bet you can guess
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Wild Turkey!  Do they make that in a 101?

Best best, or best value?  I’ll have to give it a go.  You really think it’s better than WhistlePig?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
Wild Turkey!  Do they make that in a 101?

Best best, or best value?  I’ll have to give it a go.  You really think it’s better than WhistlePig?
Yes Wild Turkey rye 101. I admit it’s a tongue in cheek answer. If you like low- rye ryes (like less then 70% I guess) then you’ll like it. If you’re into the 100% rye rye whiskies, it won’t be enough rye for you. I don’t actually like most ryes generally so the ones I like tend to be the ones that are more bourbon-like.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
i don't like the stronger alcohols. liquor over 80 proof and beer over 7. it changes the flavor. i bought a buddy a nice bourbon for his 60 bday. i did not realize it was 126 proof. just what you need after 2 martinis and some wine. it is undrinkable.  
1 ... 89101112