1 ... 9101112
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Whiskey/Bourbon/Rye/Scotch Thread

JTG4eva!
Brownski wrote
JTG4eva! wrote

Scotch aged in bourbon casks.........as long as it isn’t too peat-y.
Actually You might really like Glenrothes. Similar to Glenlivet in some ways but more robust and muscular and not peaty at all. With some exceptions, you're safe from peat in the Highlands
....and Speyside is a small corner of the Highlands.  

Ding...ding...ding...we have a winner!  Picked up a bottle of the Glenrothes Bourbon Cask Reserve single malt and I really like it.  Favorite scotch for me so far, by a lot.  
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
You’re a real scotch drinker now. Congratulations  and welcome
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Brownski wrote
You’re a real scotch drinker now
Aww, shucks!

I do thank you for the knowledge shared, but I can’t fancy myself a real scotch drinker.  Look at how much work it took for me to find ONE bottle I really like.  A real scotch drinker would probably relish the hunt more than I have....so far.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Hey JTG
I’ve got a guy who wants to unload a bottle of Yamazaki 18 yr for $500.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Too rich for my blood.  I’ll never have Pappy, either.

I’ve spent $500 of other people’s money on booze that I’ve drunk and pissed out....but never mine own!  While I appreciate liquor, I’ve never been able to justify spending that kind of money on it.

Do you try to sell clients much on the high dollar stuff?  What’s the pitch?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
Too rich for my blood.  I’ll never have Pappy, either.

I’ve spent $500 of other people’s money on booze that I’ve drunk and pissed out....but never mine own!  While I appreciate liquor, I’ve never been able to justify spending that kind of money on it.

Do you try to sell clients much on the high dollar stuff?  What’s the pitch?
I agree with your value assessment. The pitch on the really high end stuff varies. For stuff like Van Winkle, Yamazaki or expensive Super Tuscans it’s easy. “I got this stuff in that people have been pestering you for but you can only have 1 case. It’ll be gone tomorrow.” If the retailer has those kinds of customers they order and the whiskey runs out before the demand is fulfilled. Less well known expensive whiskies are harder but whiskey drinkers like to try new things so it’s usually more about trying to identify the right customer. Same for tequila. Cognac and rum are harder.
Years ago I had to sell a vodka that was $20 more $20 expensive then anything on the shelf in most stores. My pitch was “how many times did somebody come in and ask for the best vodka in the store yo give as a gift? If your most expensive is only $30, that’s the most you can make off of that guy.”  It worked pretty good.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Brownski wrote
You’re a real scotch drinker now
Aww, shucks!

I do thank you for the knowledge shared, but I can’t fancy myself a real scotch drinker.  Look at how much work it took for me to find ONE bottle I really like.  A real scotch drinker would probably relish the hunt more than I have....so far.
I must not have my adult taste. I like Chimes and I think scotch tastes like Kerosene. I just can't do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
campgottagopee wrote
I think scotch tastes like Kerosene.
Ha!  That’s the description my boys use!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Brownski
Watched a couple of reviews on the 18 and it sounds really good.....and at retail it’s probably an $800 bottle.....but 5 bills is a lot of scratch for a bottle of booze.

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
Watched a couple of reviews on the 18 and it sounds really good.....and at retail it’s probably an $800 bottle.....but 5 bills is a lot of scratch for a bottle of booze.
Right
If you’re somebody willing to pay the going rate (I’m not) 500 is a deal. If you’re a sensible person who isn’t willing to pay 500 for a bottle of booze.... The one thing I can say is that it makes more sense To me then spending that much on a bottle of Champagne, which needs to be drunk more or less immediately upon opening. A bottle of stupidly expensive whiskey can at least be nursed for a month or so or just brought out for special cccasions.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Just fixed myself a bourbon and tonic with lime.  Better than a gin and tonic!

Once I get a few drinks in me I may start asking if your guy is the negotiating type....
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Not beholden to “traditional” mixers....I’ll enjoy a bourbon and root beer now and again.  Jack and Coke?  Pffffft!  Well, tonight’s dessert was a bourbon root beer float.  Pretty good!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
Not beholden to “traditional” mixers....I’ll enjoy a bourbon and root beer now and again.  Jack and Coke?  Pffffft!  Well, tonight’s dessert was a bourbon root beer float.  Pretty good!
Nice
Several companies have taken a run at doing premium root beer liqueurs over the years. I sold a few but they were all introductory closeouts.  I can’t remember the names right now.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You guys need to hit up Trax in the summer. Every Wednesday is Burgers and Bourbon night

1 ... 9101112