The guy who invented the Internet dislikes trolls

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The guy who invented the Internet dislikes trolls

Sick Bird Rider
Sir Tim Berners-Lee is credited with inventing the Internet, so you can imagine that he pays attention to how it is used. He recently spoke out about his disgust for trolls and hateful people on-line:

“I think it is human nature, we have always had a wonderful side -- and a dark side -- and the Web is fairly accessible to those who wish to exploit it,” he said. Berners-Lee explained that he still has hope, in part because of the opportunities that exist to “keep people on the path of collaborating rather than fighting.”

Here is one of several articles about his statement:

http://www.ibtimes.com/gamergate-trolls-cyberbullies-trouble-web-founder-tim-berners-lee-1712770

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The guy who invented the Internet dislikes trolls

pro2860
Wow! I thought Al Gore invented the internet long before he invented Global Warming..
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Gore introduced a bill in 1991 that expanded funded for ARPANET because he claims he saw its value to the general citizenry. It was commonly called "The Gore Bill". Arpanet had been around since the 1950s in various forms and used by labs like Stanford and UCLA as intra-nets. The first remote login from a client computer to host computer took place in the 1960s or 70s. This is all to say that Gore in some ways has been unfairly bashed but also the the WWW was inevitable also. The genius in the HTTP standards is how much more open and decentralized it is compared to how it could have been if the US Government and military took control of it, although it is doubtful that they would have been able to prevent other forms of use forever. (See HTTP, 1990/91, or TOR servers starting in 2002.)
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
ml242 wrote
Gore introduced a bill in 1991 that expanded funded for ARPANET because he claims he saw its value to the general citizenry. It was commonly called "The Gore Bill". Arpanet had been around since the 1950s in various forms and used by labs like Stanford and UCLA as intra-nets. The first remote login from a client computer to host computer took place in the 1960s or 70s. This is all to say that Gore in some ways has been unfairly bashed but also the the WWW was inevitable also. The genius in the HTTP standards is how much more open and decentralized it is compared to how it could have been if the US Government and military took control of it, although it is doubtful that they would have been able to prevent other forms of use forever. (See HTTP, 1990/91, or TOR servers starting in 2002.)
Uh, absolutely. It probably would have been more accurate for me to say that Sir Tim invented the "Internet as we know it," since he was the lead programmer responsible creating "HTML (hypertext markup language) used to create web pages, HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol) and URLs (Universal Resource Locators). All of those developments took place between 1989 and 1991."

Since we are drifting already, here is a reconstruction of the very first web site:

http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html

And just for fun, here is the end:
http://www.1112.net/lastpage.html
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
ML - I think your time line is about 10 years off.

I was kicking around NASA and JPL at that time, was a heady time if you weren't smoke'n weed or dodging Vietnam.
I look back at were we were and were we are and it's amazing. What we could do in 1K worth of tight assembly code and an 8008 versus where we are now with a Multicore Core I7 and a Terabyte.

It is fuck'n amazing what is possible today. Hold on to your wangers, The Internet of things and the Industrial Internet will change things all over again.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
without trolls I would have very little interest in the internets.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Anything in that article about self-righteous, hyper-sensitive, middle-aged Nancy-men?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
see that's ^^^^ funny!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee