campgottagopee
LOL ^^^
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The next best mountain towns to live in

marznc
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
For those who have never considered skiing in the Canaan Valley near Davis, WV, the skiing can be good fun.  Driving on 2-lane WV roads during or after a snowstorm . . . not so good.  Very different from driving a day after a snowstorm in upstate NY.  There are a lot few snowplows in WV.  Never mind the drivers who have no experience driving in snow and no common sense.

DCSki Firsthand Report: White Grass Touring Center (Dec. 29) - 2003
http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=382

SkiSoutheast article Jan 2016
http://www.skisoutheast.com/catching-the-dream/

SkiSoutheast TR: Canaan Valley, Timberline, Whitegrass Feb.1-3 2015
http://www.skisoutheast.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=636107

The SkiSE article and trip report is by someone I know in NC near me who also loves to fly out to Denver and pay as little as possible for lift tickets.  He's done a fair amount of hike-to-ski in Colorado over the years.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
No desperation. Just routine. Skiing is what I do in winter for outdoor fun.  My location won't change that behavior.  

My grandma probably never sinned in her life, yet she went to church twice a week every week of her life.  Similar mentality.

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
raisingarizona wrote
White grass over in WV looks like fun.
It is fun. Canaan Valley, WV is a cheap place to live, too.

I think there's something to be said for taking an old, beat up town in the middle of nowhere (like those WV towns, Tupper Lake, NY, Rumford, Maine, Rangeley, ME, Speculator, NY) and living there cheaply while skiing the local hill (need skins for Tupper, I guess).

Some places are more popular in Summer than winter (WV, Maine, ADKs, Northern ID). Seems like it would be possible to have a summer house wherever you want and rent a place cheap for the winter in some of these towns.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by witch hobble
I guess I would see a move like that as a really cool opportunity to change my routine since the level of skiing (on some sort of comparable scale) would be much less then the other available activities. And to be completely honest I can't ski an 800 vertical foot manmade ice strip for more than 15 minutes before I'm completely bored.

I'm stoked you can have fun with that, even a little envious.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Well thank you for that backhanded compliment! I'm stoked that you can get stoked from your perception of my stoke-level regarding midAtlantic WROD!

I spent the winter of 97-98 in WV. Paddled 100 days, skied maybe 20.  It's not ideal for a skier, but it could be much worse.  As with almost all eastern skiing and creek boating, you have to be ready to drop everything and jump on the good days.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
My suggestions, East and West (I think I made the same argument in an earlier version of this thread) are:

Magog, Quebec: A cute town at the top of a Finger Lakes-esque body of water and right in the middle of the atmospheric Eastern Townships. Has a handful of decent mountains within half an hour (Orford, Owl's Head, Sutton, Bromont), an hour to Jay, 90 minutes to Burke, Stowe, and Smuggs. Excellent mountain biking and x-c skiing.

Santa Fe, NM: Has a surprisingly fun local mountain with nice desert views all the way south to the Sandias. Nearby are Pajarito and Sipapu, within 1:45 are Angel Fire, Red River and Taos. Yeah, Taos is the only one of the group with legitimate expert terrain so some here might get bored, but for my skill level I could spend a season or two based out of Santa Fe and then move on to the next best mountain town to live in. Mountain biking is great, excellent restaurants, etc. Far from the cheapest place but not close to Jackson Hole-level.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Silverton is a bit weird but I really like it. I'm not sure about living there full time though. Silverton needs a better in town, working mans skiing option.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Everyone shut up about Sandpoint. That's my spot.
Bro, you posted that here the same day it was on uniofficalnetworks five undiscovered best mtn towns....  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Dude I don't think he would like it there.. They won't allow his silver spoon.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Everyone shut up about Sandpoint. That's my spot.
Bro, you posted that here the same day it was on uniofficalnetworks five undiscovered best mtn towns....  
I was mostly joking but, Link?

Also, funny that you guys think I just shout out liberal talking points when interacting with people in day to day life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
Harvey wrote
Dude you are my hero.
Mine too I think. Based on your latest video in the other thread I think your credibility on this issue is through the roof. Are you available as a life coach, nepa?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
Yet coach can somehow live a happy, peaceful existence in the reliably blue, high tax liberal wasteland of NYS!

States' political personalities are not monolithic. All states have all kinds of people.
I live in the very Red (adding neck so Harv won't tell me to move to OT) Daks.  Only one non red Congress person in the last 150 years.  

I disagree with Harv all the time as to what topic belongs where.  It's his show so he certainly has the last word but given this topic is choosing where to live political fit has to come into the equation somewhat.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Just don't talk politics. Walk around with the same attitude that you have when you're using an Internet forum that shuts anybody down that brings it up. Should work. I try not to talk politics off the internet, anyway. Can present some awkward moments.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by Z
That was the point I was making. You shouldn't choose not to move to some town or area that you like based on the political reputation of the state that your chosen location is in.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Si. If you can't get along with people that disagree with you then you might be an asshole.

That being said, if you move to a rural Mormon community you might have a hard time being accepted because of the politics
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Now that we have tied in religion with localized politics I gotta say that I'm looking forward to the new version of the Bible.

Sunday Sunday Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
From down in the flatlands, I'd love to relocate to Wilmington, Jay, Peru.....
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Peru is a great spot, Peter. I've spent a lot of time camping at Ausanle point. I love that area
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
raisingarizona wrote
Si. If you can't get along with people that disagree with you then you might be an asshole.

That being said, if you move to a rural Mormon community you might have a hard time being accepted because of the politics

Yeah, that's like the triple whammy. Mormons, politics, and rural. The first alone keeps me from considering SLC. That, and, well, the godawful air and the ugliness of that city.
funny like a clown