91 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The next best mountain towns to live in

campgottagopee
Benny Profane wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Si. If you can't get along with people that disagree with you then you might be an asshole.

That being said, if you move to a rural Mormon community you might have a hard time being accepted because of the politics

Yeah, that's like the triple whammy. Mormons, politics, and rural. The first alone keeps me from considering SLC. That, and, well, the godawful air and the ugliness of that city.
That and you can't get a hot and a beer there, or have more than 3 beers without eating or something like that. How on earth do people do that?!?
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Si. If you can't get along with people that disagree with you then you might be an asshole.

That being said, if you move to a rural Mormon community you might have a hard time being accepted because of the politics

Yeah, that's like the triple whammy. Mormons, politics, and rural. The first alone keeps me from considering SLC. That, and, well, the godawful air and the ugliness of that city.

It's hot as balls in the summer there too. Yeah, not my pic either really but I could see weighing the positives heavier than the negatives for some people.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
SLC is great.  It's easy to drive around and the cleanest city I've seen.

http://kutv.com/news/local/salt-lake-city-named-10-best-place-to-live-in-the-usa
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The air quality in SLC can be really bad for good chunks of the year when certain weather patterns set up traping the pollution from the oil refineries in the valley floors. I would not consider living there.  Odgen is better but is not that nice of a place.  I do like Eden up in the high valley between Snowbasin and PowMo.

The liquor laws Campy have changed considerably but are still the tightest in the country.  You get used to drinking 3.2% I guess.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Z wrote
The air quality in SLC can be really bad for good chunks of the year when certain weather patterns set up traping the pollution from the oil refineries in the valley floors. I would not consider living there.  Odgen is better but is not that nice of a place.  I do like Eden up in the high valley between Snowbasin and PowMo.

The liquor laws Campy have changed considerably but are still the tightest in the country.  You get used to drinking 3.2% I guess.
Last time I was up at Alta I was drinking Epic Brainless which is brewed in SLC at ABV 8.9%, I don't think you have to drink 3.2 in Utah.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I think he deal is they only sell the high test stuff in the state liquor stores not in the grocery store.  Restaurants and bars of course have it.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Z wrote
I think he deal is they only sell the high test stuff in the state liquor stores not in the grocery store.  Restaurants and bars of course have it.
So then it's not an issue, I recall there are liquor stores in most of the strip malls, and there are a ton of strip malls in SLC. That in itself is a good reason not to live there.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
There really is not that many considering the size of the city and it's a college town.  Every time I've been in one it's a 10 min wait to check out and the prices are very high.

https://abc.utah.gov/stores/

I agree greater SLC feels like it's strip mall hell.  Another reason I would not want to live in SLC
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Z wrote
There really is not that many considering the size of the city and it's a college town.  Every time I've been in one it's a 10 min wait to check out and the prices are very high.https://abc.utah.gov/stores/I agree greater SLC feels like it's strip mall hell.  Another reason I would not want to live in SLC
IMO SLC is a shit hole. Bad air, they scared the surrounding mountains with strip mines, dry, dusty. If you like green and lush it is not the place to be in the summer. That's my issue with most of the west - I lived out there and always missed the green. I would rather be a commuter, live here in the summer and in a western mountain town in the winter. However I have never gotten my head around owning property which requires a plane ride to get to. I might rethink that when the grand kids finish college
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
In the same general category/region as Sandpoint, Coeur d'Alene ID is a cute lakeside town that's decently located for skiing: an hour or less to Schweitzer, Mount Spokane, Silver, and Lookout Pass, a little more to 49 Degrees North, and 3+ to southern British Columbia.

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
 Epic Brainless.........

I ride with Crazy Horse!