They don't make 'em like they used to

31 messages Options
Jon951 Jon951
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

They don't make 'em like they used to

Ok, so now that I turned the big 6-0 last week, here's may latest rant:

"They don't make 'em like they used to"

I'm speaking in terms of human beings, mainly young folks.
Know this will open a can of whoop ass for some, but have experienced lots lately with unmotivated
peeps in this category.
To be fair, I have come across a paltry "sprinkling" of motivated peeps, however they seem to be few and far between.
Seems the older folks are the ones pounding it out while many 1/3 their age want it all, but don't want to do shit to get there. Hats off to the "sprinklings" making it happen. Guess I sound like grumpy old fart, lol.

Hoping ur kids are productive and you'll support this rant. Curious what the future holds for the workforce.
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

Re: They don't make 'em like they used to

Old people have been complaining about the work ethic of young people ever since Socrates complained about the younger generation that included Plato:
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
Worry about your own life. The kids are alright.

Jon951 Jon951
Reply |

MC2 5678F589 wrote
Worry about your own life. The kids are alright.
Sounds like a Who song...The kids are alright..nice
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by Jon951
"They don't make 'em like they used to"

I agree that this has alway been true.  I am way different than my parents too.  Every year the world changes and someone born 20 years after you is going to have different experience.

My partner is taking a course on working with millennials.  We both have a hard time understanding and communicating with our youngest employees.

We hired a young man at 22 with two years of college.  We paid him what we thought was a good salary and gave him two raises that almost doubled his salary in two years.  He worked hard and we had two decent years and gave him what we considered to be good bonuses (not in any way assured in our company) each year. Last year his bonus was the highest in the company.

He got another job offer with a salary that was a lot higher.  We had been planning to move him up anyway so we offered to change his job description, essentially creating a new position. We offered an addition week of vacation and matched the salary offer he had. Also as I have said before we have a solid health insurance benefit.

He went to the other company because he felt there was no real path forward at our company. He also said that he thought we would just hold onto him long enough to find a replacement and then fire him.  He's now commuting an hour instead of 10 minutes and he is probably wearing a suit.

I don't understand his thinking, I'm sure he doesn't understand mine either.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Jon951 Jon951
Reply |

Harvey wrote
He's now commuting an hour instead of 10 minutes and he is probably wearing a suit.

I don't understand his thinking, I'm sure he doesn't understand mine either.
Next thing you know he'll come limping back to you begging for the job he jumped ship from. The wearing a suit part is bad enough, let alone the one hour commute which I imagine sucks.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

I am confident we won't see him again.
Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |

Man, don't know if I want to get into this and I'm not a millennial, but am friends with many who are and strongly identify as such.

A lot of them feel like they got the shaft from the baby boomer's era of excess and greed and now they have to suffer.  This creates a lot of animosity between them and that generation.

I really don't have an opinion either way.
ScottyJack ScottyJack
Reply |

My opinion is there simply are too many people on this planet
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
We try to treat our employees well.  I guess it is hard to tell whether or not I am greedy and have hurt the younger generation. It certainly wasn't my intent.

I also wasn't saying I don't like anyone, just don't always understand.

Scotty... to Mars?
Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |

In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
My opinion is there simply are too many people on this planet
This is my opinion as well.

But I also have the opinion that we should just legalize weed and maybe everyone will get stoned and STFU.