Threat of Short-term Rentals to mountain towns

173 messages Options
1234 ... 18
Z Z
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Threat of Short-term Rentals to mountain towns

https://www.outsideonline.com/2198726/did-airbnb-kill-mountain-town

This is becoming an issue around here LP, Jay, Wilmington all have seen a huge jump in these Short term rentals.
"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
Benny Profane Benny Profane
Reply |

Re: Threat of STR to mountain towns

Yup, big deal in Colorado. Messing up an already expensive long term market. But this is an issue world wide in any tourist destination. I recently saw a report about Iceland, which has a very hot tourist market at the moment, and young people are moving out of the country because housing has gone through the roof. I'm sort of conflicted, because I'm starting to use AirB&B in my retirement travels. There are some awesome deals out there, especially if you stay longer than a month, when serious long term discounts kick in. I'm about to pull the trigger on one in northern Italy for the month of November, and that with points on my card for the flight s going to be a very affordable trip. I was at a gathering last year with a bunch of Boomers, and all had used Air for recent Euro trips. But, I'll bet I'm making it just a little harder for even a middle class Italian to find an apartment in that city.
funny like a clown
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

That's horrible.  The guy in the article is being forced out of his home so it can become a STR.  IMO that's basically eminent domain being used for private gain.

This also happens in large cities and other tourist destinations.  Areas that were once tight nit, thriving communities are being turned into Stratton style homogenized resort villages.  I will never use airbnb or VRBO after reading this.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

snoloco wrote
That's horrible.  The guy in the article is being forced out of his home so it can become a STR.  IMO that's basically eminent domain being used for private gain.

This also happens in large cities and other tourist destinations.  Areas that were once tight nit, thriving communities are being turned into Stratton style homogenized resort villages.  I will never use airbnb or VRBO after reading this.
It's not his home, he rents it. It's a sad story but it's the way things go. He would be better served to contact the owner and convince him that his property would be in better shape if he let him stay, offer to be more than a tenant. Get facts to show that the STR route will not be as advantageous for them. Become a partner with the landlord.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

PeeTex wrote
snoloco wrote

It's not his home, he rents it. It's a sad story but it's the way things go. He would be better served to contact the owner and convince him that his property would be in better shape if he let him stay, offer to be more than a tenant. Get facts to show that the STR route will not be as advantageous for them. Become a partner with the landlord.
From a practical point of view that is his best strategy. On the bigger level, I wonder why the millennial/hipster crowd is so enamoured of this trend. I understand saving money but it seems like the same folks who want to raise the minimum wage and mandate every benefit in the book for hotel workers have no problem undercutting the whole system. The Uber/Lyft business model raises the same issue. It's called a "ride sharing" app because it was originally presented as a way for somebody who is, for instance, going to the airport, to pick up another person going in that direction and get a little cash for his/her troubles. The STR/AirBnB was supposed to be similar. You have an apartment or home in a cool spot and you're gonna be out of town so you get to monetize your real estate while you're not using it. Both have morphed (or we're always meant to be) into something else. They benefit from being more lightly regulated then traditional businesses in the same field. Liberals should object to this based on exploitation or undercutting of low paid workers and conservatives should object based on a desire for a level playing field.
Regarding the lack of affordable housing in mountain towns, it seems like that's an old story. Of course the STR trend will make it worse.
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

The millennials like Matt don't care about whether or not their actions cause harm to others, they like to think they have a purpose but at the same time the want it all, the want it now and they want it for free. I like to think of them as a bunch of cats, the Me-now generation.
evantful evantful
Reply |

PeeTex wrote
The millennials like Matt don't care about whether or not their actions cause harm to others, they like to think they have a purpose but at the same time the want it all, the want it now and they want it for free.
Thats pretty rich coming from the generations preceding, who have since the 1980's cut taxes to the lowest levels since the great depression but left spending at levels that have caused us to run deficits since then. So if you want to talk about "want it all, but for free", take a good look in the mirror because you have been living it.

Anyways, back to the AIRBNB issue.

This is just another example of an impending housing issue the country faces in the years to come. Affordable home ownership was the backbone of the rise of the middle-class in the late 40's- 1960's. If you consider the build out of suburbia and how that dynamically changed the cost of living it was virtually unparalleled in modern history. As build out of land has occurred, home prices have increased and with it rental prices increase. AirBNB is just another layer of investment realestate that removes homes from the market.

Eventually its going to need to be regulated, near me a few towns already have 30 day per year limits for AirBNB type rentals.
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

evantful wrote
PeeTex wrote
The millennials like Matt don't care about whether or not their actions cause harm to others, they like to think they have a purpose but at the same time the want it all, the want it now and they want it for free.
Thats pretty rich coming from the generations preceding, who have since the 1980's cut taxes to the lowest levels since the great depression but left spending at levels that have caused us to run deficits since then. So if you want to talk about "want it all, but for free", take a good look in the mirror because you have been living it.
Actually the federal revenue as a percent of GDP had been relatively flat.

The issue is that spending has been increasing.

(Source: usgovernmentspending.com)
That's not my fault, I didn't vote for the welfare state the Matt wants.

AirBnB needs to be on the same accommodation tax plan as hotels for short rentals and be considered as a lease for longer term rentals. Otherwise it's just tax avoidance.
Peter Minde Peter Minde
Reply |

In reply to this post by Brownski
@ Brownski +1
Z Z
Reply |

My take is that these STR need to be aggressively policed for paying state and county lodging taxes so that they don't unfairly compete with local legit hotels and inns.  They're also should be either a max of less than 30 days they should be allowed to STR per year or better yet set the min rental period to be 30 days to prevent this altogether.

"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
1234 ... 18