classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
376 messages Options
1 ... 9101112131415 ... 19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Threat of STR to mountain towns

witch hobble
In the “Lakes Region” of NH, I’m seeing fewer of the college age foreigners working in the tourist hotspots than I was 10 years ago. There seemed to be a large amount of eastern europeans then.....not as many now.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
My mom lives in a desirable location and there are a couple of short term rentals that have become nuisances a few weeks a year.

Typical shit: eight cars and multiple boat trailers at a two bedroom rental cabin, stray after midnight fireworks, drunken hollering, large unpermitted bonfires.

One year round neighbor has their house on the market now, partially because they abut one of the nuisance places. It’s gonna be interesting to see what happens. Another STR could really negatively affect the neighborhood ecosystem.

I remind her that it is amongst the whitest of white person problems. And that she is lucky to live where she lives.  She reminds me that if you lose the neighbors you like and there is nothing but headaches from the new neighbors, the community’s quality of life is degraded.

NH is the land of Live Free Or Die, and loathe to adopt any regulations like this. We need those Massholes and their $.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Z is dangerously close to calling for higher property taxes and higher minimum wages.
I think LP should share thier bounty better with the rest of Essex County

You can make min wage higher and it would make no difference if there are not places for workers to rent

My 15 yr old is making about $15 an hour in his first job.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Z wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Z is dangerously close to calling for higher property taxes and higher minimum wages.

You can make min wage higher and it would make no difference if there are not places for workers to rent

The thinking is, if there were enough people who made money, people would build houses & apartments and people making $15 an hour could afford a place to live. I made $5.45 an hour at my first job in 1996.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by witch hobble
NY should build a wall to keep out those I’ll mannered people from NJ & Mass or anybody south of Newburg
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Z wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote

The thinking is, if there were enough people who made money, people would build houses & apartments and people making $15 an hour could afford a place to live. I made $5.45 an hour at my first job in 1996.
Dude in the Daks you just can’t build anywhere like you downstaters are used to.  Of course you don’t understand Econ given your procilivities that I won’t mention here but if the govt artificially constrains supply supply by the Apa limiting building then add in a supply shock of ST rentals taking housing stock for buy or renting out of the market you create a pending economic disaster.  If this continues in 5-10 years they could pay a $25 min wage and it wouldn’t matter.

Since we can’t build more homes or apartment buildings in the Daks we need to stop the ST rentals.  It’s really pretty simple that these things are a major threat to the area.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Z wrote
Dude in the Daks you just can’t build anywhere like you downstaters are used to.  Of course you don’t understand Econ given your procilivities that I won’t mention here but if the govt artificially constrains supply supply by the Apa limiting building
Let's not go crazy here. Yeah, the APA has limits. No, there is not really a huge problem with lack of affordable housing in the ADKs. Like camp said, there are plenty of cheap houses in Saranac Lake (or ETown, or wherever). And if you want to go even cheaper, houses in Tupper Lake are like $45,000.

I can't believe you are complaining so much about this. What a fragile snowflake you are.

"Waahhhhh, I live in a highly desirable area and my neighbors are making money off of that fact. Poor me"
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
I fully plan on Air B&Bing my place out this winter.
I refuse to rent my house out longer than a few days.  I don't want to get caught up in bad renters that are all over the catskills..  My girlfriend covers her rent in NYC the weekends she's up here.   I'd love to cover my mortgage and I think I can....
There are people against it but shorter rentals are bringing people up here to stay the night and spend $$..
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Ewok friendly?
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
So a short term renter went out a tore up a couple MT Bike trails in the quaker and hardy pods this week on a ATV doing considerable damage.  They followed the tracks back to the rental and caught the guy.  It would be interesting to see if the rental advertises its close to trails and specifies that ATV's are not allowed.  The owner of the rental should be responsible for this  as well.  These things have got to be regulated post haste.

Total dirt bags both the owner and the renter.

Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Z wrote
So a short term renter went out a tore up a couple MT Bike trails in the quaker and hardy pods this week on a ATV doing considerable damage.  They followed the tracks back to the rental and caught the guy.  It would be interesting to see if the rental advertises its close to trails and specifies that ATV's are not allowed.  The owner of the rental should be responsible for this  as well.  These things have got to be regulated post haste.

So any time a tenant commits a crime the landlord should be responsible?

Do you even read what you write?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Ewok friendly?
Are you an Ewok?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by x10003q
If the owner of the rental advertised atv trails nearby he is at blame as well.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Are there ATV trails nearby?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Nope
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote

Read about this on FB.  Apparently the ATV guys tore up 2 different sets of MB trails.

Incidentally here was an article about then perils of AirBnB in a recent Adirondack Life.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
PMD is ATV isn't it?  
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Lets not forget Air B&B is a good problem to have.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by tjf1967
No.

Pmd is Snowmobile but not ATV.  Even snowmobilers dont want atv on their trails because of impacts up here. Atv rutt the trail up then it takes more snow to cover....
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

PFunk_Spock
In reply to this post by tjf1967
Dude, get a grip.

You expect the owner to put up a list of all laws and regulations in the land?

Here is Jackson STR's have basically eliminated any long term housing for local employees. I tend to be a little more tolerant of individual property rights, and don't believe people should feel entitled to live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. It is not your god given right to live in paradise.

That being said, there is going to be a tipping point where businesses will be hamstrung. The average property value in Jackson is something like 1.2 or 1.6 million. The majority of these are second homes. There is only so much increased wages will do when you cannot physically build more things.

Also, I wouldnt take Jackson's STR regulations, they haven't done a damn thing. Everyone just adjusted their contract language, buried on page 187, section 12, line 9 "rental is for one month". No one reads this, rents the place for a day or week or whatever on Airbnb or through a rental agency, and nothing changes. They are none the wiser.

1 ... 9101112131415 ... 19