Trump: Golf is Not Dead

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trump: Golf is Not Dead

riverc0il
I don't like the first definition as almost all of those words are tied up with morality and more specifically an individual's opinion on another person's morality. Good grief, right now we have southerns putting confederate generals (that specifically caused, by way of succession, and fought the war to defend slavery) up on a pedestal as being high minded and noble Americans for having a passion for states' rights.

History is a harsh judge (except when people try to re-write history, such as holocaust deniers) but everyone in the moment always believes they are on the right side of history. People almost always think highly of their opinions and think they are right and moral, justified and righteous.

"acting in accordance with morality and showing recognition of right and wrong" ? Who's morality? Who's version of right and wrong? Bush and his staff probably thought very much that they had the moral high ground, that they were right. They were defending the entire country, this nation that they felt so passionately about that they felt we were threatened (from ghosts it turns out). History can judge their actions. But in the moment, they felt morally right.

Personally, I think that definition sucks. But then again, I subscribe to nihilism so anytime a word suggests objective matter of fact "right and wrong" I call BS. Can't believe I'm sticking up for Bush and his Presidency! But I don't think it can be denied that he thought he was moral and right and justified.

I think of being "principled" suggests that you have a strong value and ethical system and you strive to always hold to those values and that system and to be consistent and disciplined in your actions. Definition 2 is actually pretty on the nose for that understanding given that you evaluate "a given set of rules" as self created/imposed.

Harvey wrote
Quite the thread.

riverc0il wrote
Bush was a principled leader...
I was thinking about this and wondered if maybe I didn't understand the definition of "principled."  Google gave me two definitions:

prin·ci·pled
adjective

1.acting in accordance with morality and showing recognition of right and wrong.
"a principled politician"
synonyms: moral, ethical, virtuous, righteous, upright, upstanding, high-minded, honorable, honest, incorruptible
"she is clearly the most principled among the candidates"

2.based on a given set of rules.
"a coherent and principled approach"

Not sure that helps me. Unless maybe you are referring to definition #2.

I remember feeling that GWB broke (what is to me) the cardinal rule of the presidency.  ANY president can go on TV and say "look, I have information that I can't share, but we are in grave danger.  You have to trust me, we have to go to war."

Most people accept that there is intelligence that can't be shared publicly, and are forced to trust the president in that situation.  No one wants to tie the president's hand when we are in danger of a nuclear attack.  Politics is politics, but IMO you can't bs about that. If we can't trust the prez on that kind of thing, we're screwed. I'm not a historian for sure, but I don't remember any president on either side of the aisle playing that card to get what he wanted.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
fading away ? some pretty telling numbers.http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/the-death-of-golf-20150625
Number one by far is most places it just takes too long to play golf.  I play 18 holes walking in 3 hours or less consistenly.  It's just more fun at that speed.  In Scottland and Ireland 3 hours is also the standard time mostly because they play match play.

Coaches rules to playing fast

1 and most important play the right set of tees.  I see plenty of guys I'm playing thru that are 20+ players trying to play a 6600 yard course that they have no hope of playing well on - play it forward.

2 one practise swing per shot

3 no marking and remarking on the greens you are not on the PGA tour - biggest time waster there is.  

4 play ready golf

5 use usga hcp control and pick the ball up if you are not on the green in 2 less the your max per hole.  Better yet play match play and PIck up when you are out of the hole.

6 if you are drinking you need to let the sober golfers play thru
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
Coach Z wrote
6 if you are drinking you need to let the sober golfers play thru
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Agree with coach on 1-4. But my number 5 is use a cart and you will always be done in 3 hrs or less for 18 .

Walked until i had open heart surgery exactly SIX yrs ago Today ,

After that scare which happened while playing golf , i. was too chicken to walk since i now  want to be able to get off the course FAST and get help if it ever happens again .Hopefully this never happens but be prepared is my motto.
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I think I confused Camp.  It's actually not  in the rules of golf that you need to drink a beer a hole .  I have no idea how anyone could play well when they are drinking.  

I disagree with a Warp as well walking is many times faster than having two guys in a cart as long as the holes don't have huge distances between them.  Plus you walk 5 to 7 miles depending on the course and get a workout in.  It's much easier a for me to keep in a nice rhythm when walking so I shoot lower scores.  I play so fast that in a cart unless the course is empty I'll end up doing nothing but playing thru groups if I ride.  A couple of years ago I played 18 in a cart on an empty course in an hour and 25 mins.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Coach Z wrote
I think I confused Camp.  It's actually nit in the rules of golf that you need to drink a beer a hole .  I have no idea how anyone could play well when they are drinking.  
You need to meet Racer......the man plays on par with Pro (he'll attest to this as well) and drinks like a fish. Just to give you some idea of his golfing abilities, he's won the Club Championship at his course 18 of the past 20 yrs, and something like 15 or 16 yrs in a row. Some of our best local golfers play there too so it ain't no chump club.  It's actually the club Pro grew up playing at.

You fuddy duddy lunch packin types need to get the fuck out of the way
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
If I drink one beer my short game goes to hell

Don't know how you guys do it
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
One is not enough. You need a six pack to reach critical mass
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Thacheronix wrote
One is not enough. You need a six pack to reach critical mass
And that's for the front 9
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
just this morning I helped my friend unload his veggies for the local farmers market.  We are CSA members with his farm Fledging Crow.  A fine example of a healthy non greedy approach to life.

don't be a snowSheep - open your eyes and be part of the solution bro!
What about when you poach the slides, then do your damndest to get back up there and consume it before anyone else?

I think you should post some maps to your favorite BC spots and not be so greedy
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I like myself because I look back on these older threads and I'm still happy with the arguments that I presented. I did predict a Jeb victory earlier in this thread (which, amazingly, still might happen), but I really just predicted an establishment victory. If Kasich started getting establishment support, I'd be okay with that.

But Trump is in a good position. Him and Cruz are the only ones left in the anti-establishment race. Still have Bush, Christie, Kasich and Rubio left vying for the establishment vote.