52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Trump: Golf is Not Dead

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I found this article following an endless trail of Trump clickbait on Facebook. The guy is just pure gold for entertainment.

Anyway, I didn't know golf was dead or even dying.  According to Fortune more courses have closed than opened in each of the last ten years.  Not sure that proves anything.

One piece of Trump craziness is that feels golf is not right for the young, but then calls Tiger the best thing to happen to golf ever. Isn't one reason he was good because he started at age three?

Anyway, between lots of other crap, Trump on golf:

http://fortune.com/2015/07/01/donald-trump-golf-rich-elite/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Trump: Golf is Not Dead

riverc0il
Who cares about Trump, what is this Footgolf thing? That looks amazing!

I gave golf up... I suck at stick and ball games and it was going to take too much money in lessons and practice to approach acceptable play. Interestingly enough, unlike most bad golfers, my short game was amazing. But I had such a bad slice, I was forced to tee off with a 6 iron and it was still bad news 50% of the time. F that sport. I fully appreciate the appeal and I still wish I didn't suck so I could play without coming home angrier than I left... it would be nice if you could be "acceptably bad" with occasional play (once a week or so).
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
This may sound weird and I am not sure I agree with what I am about to say but the Donald may be a viable candidate. Yes, we all love to hate him but he can't be bought and he knows bull shit when he sees and smells it. We have had a lot less intelligent presidents and there are quite a few dummies running.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
PeeTex wrote
This may sound weird and I am not sure I agree with what I am about to say but the Donald may be a viable candidate. Yes, we all love to hate him but he can't be bought and he knows bull shit when he sees and smells it. We have had a lot less intelligent presidents and there are quite a few dummies running.
He is not even remotely in the realm of a viable candidate. He has never been elected to anything and he is the worst kind of lucky sperm club member, a guy who pretends he did it himself. After his tax return filing extensions run out in about 90 days he will quit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I kinda agree with PeeTex. Yes I said it out loud. Trump actually talks about the inconvient truths most people are either afraid to say out loud or for some even think about. The USA needs somebody that's going to put the country first instead of special interest groups and political deals. IMHO we need a business approach ,even if it stings,to get us in the right direction. Is Trump the answer,I don't know,but he is entertaining.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
PeeTex wrote
He is not even remotely in the realm of a viable candidate. He has never been elected to anything and he is the worst kind of lucky sperm club member, a guy who pretends he did it himself. After his tax return filing extensions run out in about 90 days he will quit.
Grant and Eisenhower were never elected to office before becoming president (and neither was Washington). Wilson didn't even complete a full term as Gov of NJ - he was a college professor/president. Having been elected is not necessarily a good thing. I am a firm believer that if the nation is facing a particular problem, the best person to solve that problem is from the community that caused it. History is full of examples.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by x10003q
He's actually polling quite well. He does have the catchiest campaign slogan:

Trump 2016 - "Who's Doing the Raping?"
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
While I don't entirely disagree with this ^^, I could never actually vote for Donald Trump because A) I've never voted for a Republican presidential candidate in my life and B) (more importantly) I just can't take the guy seriously and will never get past the clown image.  And that's his real problem, the Republican Party and the American voting public will be too afraid to vote for the guy because he's just too ridiculous.  Who wants the rest of the world snickering at our President (whoops, OK, maybe they already do...)?
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Adk Jeff wrote
Who wants the rest of the world snickering at our President (whoops, OK, maybe they already do...)?
Yea. I was going to roast PeeTex for suggesting Trump is a viable candidate. But we've had some real idiots for Presidents throughout history including recently. And we almost had Palin as a VP (good grief). Though I'd rather have 8 more years of W than 4 years of Trump.

Calling it how you see it without a filter and not being a career politician are certainly appealing. But when you alienate a significant portion of the country with nonsensical verbal abuse and you don't know how to approach a topic diplomatically, that isn't a good thing for anyone to do, let alone a politician or leader of the country.

Or a businessman, for that matter. Some suggest the country needs a businessman for president. Well, how about a good businessman? Does a good businessman say racist remarks that cost him extensively in business deals? By the time Trump concludes his run, he will have lost a significant amount of business deals. Many big name companies have already or are in the process of dropping him. His public remarks are not those of a savvy businessman but rather someone so rich and in love with sharing his out of touch opinions that he doesn't even care if he offends his business partners, let alone the citizens he wants to preside over.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think he loses about $100 million in strategic partnerships every time he speaks:

NBC/Comcast
Univision
Televisa
Macy's
Farouk
Serta

Who else has dumped him since he announced?

The PGA doesn't have the stones to dump him.

All of that doesn't matter because he has a secret plan to defeat ISIS.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
Adk Jeff wrote
Who wants the rest of the world snickering at our President (whoops, OK, maybe they already do...)?
Yea. I was going to roast PeeTex for suggesting Trump is a viable candidate. But we've had some real idiots for Presidents throughout history including recently. And we almost had Palin as a VP (good grief). Though I'd rather have 8 more years of W than 4 years of Trump.
I was hoping for a good roasting. Would have been fun reading.

I don't think Trump is really running, I think he wants to trigger some real debate on issues he is concerned about. He has said similar things about immigration before. I am sure most would agree that many of the people flowing over from the porous Mexican boarder are not the "best and the brightest" and we all know that this is where the major drug trafficking routes are and many of those people are not the best society has to offer. The way he said it and the tone he used was very poor, kind of like saying "I am not a racist, many of my friends are black".  Unfortunately he did not spark an immigration debate, he sparked a Donald debate - which he does most of the time. Admit it though - wouldn't you really like to see AF1 with "Trump" painted on it's side right behind the Presidential seal. I just can't wait for the new DC based TV show called "Washington Apprentice" where the Donald fires government officials for incompetence every week.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The idea of firing lousy govt employees has some appeal.  Trump is an jerk and has no chance at getting elected.  I think he knows that and won't waste his own money trying.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Trump represents everything that is wrong with this country!  What the hell is wrong with you people!!  Greed is not good, greed kills.  It causes poverty, civil unrest and ultimately war.

Maybe people won't try and sneak across the border if American companies (like trump's mens suits company) paid a living wage....)

But then if they did the Trump's couldn't mask their lameness with all the boats and gaudy outfits and stupid material things that losers like him idolize!

Theodore Roosevelt would of punched out Trump!

The people that say we need a business person to fix this country are truly the most uninformed people on the planet.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
SJ. Don't hold back , tell us how you really feel

i do agree Trump,is a Turd with ears and and bad  "Do ."    a

And frankly a perfect symbol for excess gone wrong . Every time the guy opens his mouth ,his ignorance is on display
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Agreed Trump is a chump

We don't need business leaders we need leaders that can lead period! and say have more experience leading than the current community organizer.  To be President you need executive branch experience not congressional where all they do is debate and waste time and money.  I like Jindal and Christie for thier experience as Govs.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Congress is nothing but a debating society and for the past several decades  they have been a very POOR one at that .

Executive Leadership ability is both earned and learned by performing at high levels , not debating .

One who has been in the heat of decisionmaking , making budget ,and payroll, administering programs , services or producing tangible products and,  Who evaluates organizational  effectiveness in a skilled and competent way is always superior to any so called Legislator be they from Congress or the lower levels of  debating societies we euphemistically call state legislatures.

governorships are a reasonable training grounds as are individuals who has lead a COMPLEX organization , that has a complex mission and set of objectives and employs a highly skilled professionally independent staff that functions at a high level .

SO ::: WHO IS THAT. Today ????

Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
The corollary to my rant is that this country is STARVING for  Principled Leadership and has been for many years .  

Ok , im done , i will go quietly to my room now
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
If Warp were running for president I'd vote for him

the man makes sense.......seems all we've gotten lately is a bunch of nonsense

I'd also vote for Ted Nugent if he was running
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by warp daddy
I'm going to disagree with the idea that leadership is an important quality in a President.

A President in this country is just a figurehead that represents whatever political party he is affiliated with. You're voting for the party, not the person, as Presidents rarely go against the party line (Obama's TPP support being an exception). Obama gives great, inspiring speeches, but if Hillary won instead of him in 2008, does anyone seriously think that the country would be THAT much different?

The only instance of Obama's presidency that I can think of that would have gone differently with Hillary is that we'd probably be in another dumb Middle East war (with Syria) right now. She probably would have done the same stimulus, same healthcare plan, and same executive orders. The things outside of her control (gay marriage, BP, etc.) would have unfolded pretty much along the same timelines.

"Leadership" is a loaded word anyway. Did Obama show "leadership" by staying out of Syria? Or would Hillary have showed "leadership" by going into Syria? Usually, when people say that Obama (or Bush, or whoever) isn't a good leader, they mean that he's not leading in their preferred direction.

Not that that matters anyway because most people don't give a shit about politics, know nothing about how government functions, and couldn't name the current Secretary of State.

And even THAT doesn't matter because the entire government is corrupted by money anyway, so the only policies that are ever enacted are those that benefit big business and other monied interests.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Also, the reason that Trump is getting traction is because his positions are mainstream Republican positions (screw those "illegals", shovel more money to rich people and businesses, fuck the poor, etc.). Limbaugh and Ann Coulter have been saying the same shit for years (look at Coulter's latest book if you're wondering where Trump's racist rants were coming from).

Out of the declared, "serious" Republican Presidential candidates, Ted Cruz, Huckabee, Jindal and Ben Carson say the same stupid shit as Trump (but don't have the national name recognition). If Trump's positions were slightly more sane (like Kasich or Pataki), he'd be polling at around 2-3%. The reason he's polling well is because he's such a fucking nut.

Won't matter anyway. Establishment support is coalescing around Jeb (after a brief flirtation with Walker, which never could have lasted because he never graduated college and he's kind of an idiot). And if there's one constant in American Politics since the electoral drubbing of 1964, it's this: Republicans always nominate the establishment Candidate.