Uphill

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Uphill

Peter Minde
Shoot, why would anyone want to ski down Whiteface when they can ski up the toll road.

http://fasterskier.com/blog/article/win-3-for-duncan-douglas-hannah-rieders-top-woman-at-wide-open-climb-to-the-castle/

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Uphill

Harvey
Administrator
Peter Minde wrote

Peter some will never understand the beauty of the uphill.

Congrats bro!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
@ Harv.  BTW overall men's winner Robert Duncan Douglas, 50 years old, two time former Olympian in biathlon, his main comp was like 20 or so years younger.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
Man that's fast.  I went up there twice on my bike and both attempts were over 1hr and 10min.  

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Just like in MTB ...The satisfaction is in the climb...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
you obvi have not ridden All In on Hardy Road!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
All In and Good Luck two of my favorite trails!
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
IMHO, the ONLY rational for riding uphill is the downhill.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by BigK75
BigK75 wrote
Man that's fast.  I went up there twice on my bike and both attempts were over 1hr and 10min.  

Claude
Been up many times on my bike. I think my best time was about 1hr 15min from the cross roads at Wilmington.. When I use to do the uphill race in the late spring there were people doing it on unicycles and tandems. I can't imagine that - but I have seen it with my own eyes.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Has anyone done the Whiteface Sky race?  It's a running race from the base of the gondi up to the summit via Cloudspin.  Scheduled July 8 this yr.  I'm toying with the idea of running it & looking for tips.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JohnIrvingwrestles wrote
  I'm toying with the idea of running it & looking for tips.
Run like someone is chasing you!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Bring and use TICK repellent . Up here the incidence of tick bites has been rapidly increased this year. Seen several articles ! even here in. STLawrence county . Might want to wear longer compression style  socks
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
warp daddy wrote
Bring and use TICK repellent . Up here the incidence of tick bites has been rapidly increased this year. Seen several articles ! even here in. STLawrence county . Might want to wear longer compression style  socks
Thanks for the warning----> might nix this plan as I never wear socks while running & am paranoid about getting Lyme (i"m allergic to the primary cure- Doxycycline) Boo
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Yeah might be wise since this is worsening  We have a friend who has been BITTEN THREE TIMES working in her garden. In Morristown along the river . Its pretty nasty this yr , clinics are starting to see patients whereas in the past it was RARE indeed  
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Insofar as the Sky Race.  You haven't described your fitness level.  All I can say is, try to save something for the last half mile or mile.  You're not gonna win in the first half  mile, and if you blow up, there's no place to recover. Try to program a hill workout in once a week.  The bigger the better.

Ticks.  They're the worst.
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
Peter Minde wrote
Insofar as the Sky Race.  You haven't described your fitness level.  All I can say is, try to save something for the last half mile or mile.  You're not gonna win in the first half  mile, and if you blow up, there's no place to recover. Try to program a hill workout in once a week.  The bigger the better.

Ticks.  They're the worst.
I've busted 3 hr in a marathon & Still run under 20 min 5k's. I run the hills of Inwood (north Manhattan) , not exactly the 'dacks but surprisingly hilly running. I've run a bunch of little ski hills -Val Bialis, Sterling Forest, Mt. Peter. Nothing compared to Whiteface of course but I'm really intrigued by the idea.