Verizon Cell Phone Good With Weak Signal

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Verizon Cell Phone Good With Weak Signal

Spongeworthy
Can anyone recommend a basic Verizon cell phone (not fancy or "smart" or text or data, etc.) that will work well at the base at Gore? I see other Verizon customers who can use their phone sitting at the Tannery. My old Razr used to work outside at the base, but is now absolutely useless.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Verizon Cell Phone Good With Weak Signal

Michaeltokyo
My VZ BB seemed to work on the lower mtn o.k. today until mid-late PM.  I think there's a capacity issue at certain hours.  Certainly the end of the day would be high demand on the tower.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Can you hear me now?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
I can't make my phone work reliably for voice.

Txt/SMS works with just one bar. To me its the easiest way to communicate on the mountain.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
a bit off topic, but has anyone noticed that right around Stokes on the gondola and the bottom of the Straightbrook glades you'll have a few bars of service but can't send a call or text? Weird stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Don't know if it will help in the future but new Verizon Tower is being planned to be built in the exit 19 area. Too far away?
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Snowballs wrote
Don't know if it will help in the future but new Verizon Tower is being planned to be built in the exit 19 area. Too far away?
Wouldn't help at all. There's a closer tower on Panther Mt. in Chestertown, and it does us no good. Mountains in the way obstruct the signal.

I hear that smaller building-mounted towers have been approved and (supposedly) are going up in North Creek, Wevertown and Minerva. That would be great, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Here  is the cell towers map. There is one marked with star * right above "WARREN", it's in Wevertown (see P2010-0229), approved but not yet operational.

When complete, should improve service all around Wevertown / North Creek
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
I have one of those Verizon pre-paid phones ($99 a year) and it works great in the base lodge and up on the mountain. It gets spotty service in the locker rooms, so I usually go upstairs to make a call.  I also heard from an AT&T rep that towers will be going up in the area by 2012 for AT&T service.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Just an update. I bought the LG VX8300 (2 of them) for me and my wife. It's a basic verizon flip phone that verizon doesn't sell anymore (got it from The Blue Dot). I can actually get a signal at my cabin, which no other phone can do, and it holds a charge for a week.

Once the cell tower in North Creek becomes operational in the fall, this (hopefully) will be an academic discussion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Spongeworthy ... where will the tower be located?  If I can get a signal at our place, it could save me some real cash.

On top of Gore would be ideal for us, but I'm doubting that would be the case as it probably wouldn't be much good in town.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
This was on page 2 of this past weekend's News Enterprise:

http://www.denpubs.com/Scribd.Item-8639.114134-News-Enterprise.html

From what I've heard, the North Creek tower (Verizon) will be somewhere near Gore Electric, where the speed limit goes from 45 back to 55.  That will work for me, but if there is a mountain in your line of sight, it won't work for you.  Check your topo map.  

I don't see the towers in Wevertown or The Glen being much help because (1) there are mountains in the way and (2) I think they'll be AT&T towers.  The only thing going up on the Gore tower in the near future is an improvement for State Police radio.  

There's also a permit application pending for Minerva, where Morse Memorial Highway meets 28N, but Moxham Mountain might block you.

I'll believe it when I can get a strong signal inside my cabin.  Right now I can get an OK signal at the southern edge of my rear patio.  If I walk five feet away, I lose it.

At least they're making progress.  No business can hope to make a go of it these days without some kind of reliable broadband access.

Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
FWIW, texting is sometimes hit or miss.  Occasionally my husband and I will send each other texts on the mountain that do not get delivered.  This once led to a tense marital moment that was finally relieved when the text came through later that evening.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Denis' map makes it look like there is one approved for the top of Gore...

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Can you hear me now?
Reply | Threaded
|

taroldleme010
Banned User
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Do not want to be tracked by the audoi recorder at all and it will disturb and given out people's privacy and then a lot of trouble will comes. And now it seems that using the wireless jammer at http://www.jammerfromchina.com is the best choice.
Reply | Threaded
|

StanNoftsger13
Banned User
If do not want the students listen to the radios instead of pay more attention to their studies and what their teachers are teaching then using the audio jammer is a helpful method.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
It's odd how this thread popped back up, so I'll update and perhaps end it.

The cell tower in North Creek (near Basil & Wicks) is AT&T, not Verizon. Because of that, I switched to AT&T in the summer of 2012. Reception in town and at the mountain is great. I have a signal booster at my cabin that gives me 3G on AT&T, but cannot find the Verizon signal at all. For whatever reason, Verizon service in the area has gotten worse over the years.