Wasatch Conditions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wasatch Conditions

jjp24
We finally got some love last weekend here in the Wasatch. Up to 2 feet of the really light stuff.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wasatch Conditions

jjp24
Well it has been a fun two weeks. About 10 more inches last Thursday-Friday. Great conditions over the weekend, though not quite as deep as last weekend. I'm beginning to understand why this place is so special. Looks like we might get the high pressure treatment for a little while again... Maybe time to start going back down to the desert.

Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by jjp24
Nice pics - made my day!  I'm headed out there on 2/6...keeping my fingers crossed for some more snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Nice pics!  Glad Utah has finally started getting good.  Yes, the ridge is back.  The GFS has the ridge breaking down around the 4th or 5th.  It’s a ways to go, but a glimmer of hope.  I’ll be out there on the 10th and 11th.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
I hope we get more snow soon! Unfortunately it seems rather unlikely considering the open snow forecast I read this morning.  Apparently little to no chance for snow in the next two weeks :(
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Also side note: the slope in my second to last picture (the one with multiple ski tracks and a skin track) slid this weekend. We still have a nasty persistent slab problem with our snowpack and it is unlikely to go away anytime soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Starting to think it might be worth a couple hundred dollars in penalties to move/cancel my trip Feb 9-11.  Going elsewhere I can probably cut the cost of lift tickets and other things to offset those penalties/change fees a bit.....
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Unless something drastic happens, i would agree with you on this..The ridge out west is budging at all...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Kicking myself for locking in to a fixed date and location.  Usually wait until last minute and then go where there is snow.  Staying in PC but probably will be driving over to BCC as Brighton and Solitude are almost 100% and with one good storm should be great.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
I’d recommend making the drive to Alta over Brighton. They are the only two places I’ve ridden lifts so far this year. At Brighton on Sunday I felt like I skied all the available terrain in two hours while at Alta in a whole day of skiing I only scratched the surface. Alta seemed to have significantly more snow too. Either way get there really early, the traffic going into either canyon can be heinous on the weekends.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Could see 6-12 between now and Tuesday morning.  GFS is an outlier, but recent runs are hinting at a possibly more potent storm the end of next week through the weekend.......
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
JTG I think you are in luck... I have to work next weekend which surely means that we will get dumped on!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Ha!

I’ll hold off on moving anything for a few more days....
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
the gfs is bone dry..the nam has a light event this weekend..but the snow levels are pretty high..after that as of now Nada
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Well, I’ve pushed out my Goldminer’s Daughter reservation to March, preserving my deposit.  

Thinking that Colorado might be the call this weekend.  Breck and A Basin are close to 100% open, with a foot or so possible in the 5 day, and more forecasts hinting at a storm Sat into Sunday.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
seems like a good move
I'm going to Breck first week in March for a couple days..looks ok there
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Yeah I think things will be pretty grim for the next week or two at least... On the other hand, still lots of fun to be had in these mountains.

Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
A small storm Saturday delivered quite a bit more than expected, putting the backcountry in great shape. Almost everything we skied hadn't been touched since before Monday's 6-7 inches as well. Some of the best conditions all year, not so sure you made the right decision JTG!

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Perhaps!  Would have been easier/cheaper had I stuck with SLC.  However, if the reports are correct, a lot of the areas at Alta I’d want to ski aren’t open.  Glad the conditions in the backcountry are good.

For the record.....I did say ten days or so ago there was a storm coming into the picture for Sat, which nobody seemed to buy!  I did ok with CO...
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Great photos!

jjp24 wrote
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp