Wax once for the life of a ski? New idea from DPS

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wax once for the life of a ski? New idea from DPS

campgottagopee
If you are doing pads and rotors all the way around for $250 then you aren't using OEM parts. Those aftermarket brake parts are junk and don't last.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
If you are doing pads and rotors all the way around for $250 then you aren't using OEM parts. Those aftermarket brake parts are junk and don't last.
Correct, not OEM.

And you know darn well not all aftermarket parts are created equal. It's easy to buy good quality aftermarket parts that - in my experience - work as well or better than the OEM parts. Sometimes they are almost exactly the same part in fact, and in some cases could be made by the same company that sources the OEM parts.

But you work at a car dealership right?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Hey, if you like squeaky brakes then go for it
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
I can just rub a little brake grease on the rotors then, right?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
billyymc wrote
campgottagopee wrote
You can. But I'd first make sure you've checked your ashtray O-ring as well as rotated the summer air out of your tires. It always amazes me that people don't know they need winter air in their tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Just got my car inspected 66k miles and still no brake job.  My Ford was through two round trip deals by now. Pretty impressed!! The dealer has been good to me.  
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Dammit I forgot to get the winter air put in.  I better call to schedule an appointment!!
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
billyymc wrote
campgottagopee wrote
You can. But I'd first make sure you've checked your ashtray O-ring as well as rotated the summer air out of your tires. It always amazes me that people don't know they need winter air in their tires.
I went to the dealer and they told me they could  put a mix of almost 8 parts nitrogen to 2 parts oxygen in my tires, and top them off with just a tiny bit of argon and carbon dioxide. It only cost $150.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
You'd better hurry --- gonna B snowing up your way soon!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by billyymc
That's crap --- nobody ever uses argon --- price seems fair tho
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
Dealer told me the Queen of England uses the same amount of argon in her tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
billyymc wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Dealer told me the Queen of England uses the same amount of argon in her tires.
BRAVO

And the Emperor wears no clothes
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Better check that blinker fluid while you at it!It always amazes me me how many vehicles are leaking blinker fluid around 11:15 in our row...
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/11/02/new-base-treatment-eliminates-the-need-to-ever-wax-your-skis-again/

P.S.: When you get a Fox shock/fork rebuilt by PUSH, they actually fill them up with Nitrogen, which apparently does work better than "regular air".

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Marcski wrote
http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/11/02/new-base-treatment-eliminates-the-need-to-ever-wax-your-skis-again/

P.S.: When you get a Fox shock/fork rebuilt by PUSH, they actually fill them up with Nitrogen, which apparently does work better than "regular air".
That's freakin hilarious. Do they charge extra for that? So what do they claim is the benefit of 100% nitrogen over the 78% found in "regular air?"

Silly.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
billyymc wrote
Marcski wrote

That's freakin hilarious. Do they charge extra for that? So what do they claim is the benefit of 100% nitrogen over the 78% found in "regular air?"

Silly.
I kid you not.  Scroll down about 1/2 way...it's listed under the "factory rebuild".

https://www.pushindustries.com/pages/mtb-rear-shock-tuning
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Gas filled shock absorbers and those struts that hold your car's hood up are filled with nitrogen because it's more inert and drier than ordinary air.  Those things are designed to work 5 or even 10 years, and you don't want any oxidation or corrosion going on, even at a slow rate.  Your tires are gonna be re-inflated every month or so, and the rubber in your tires is stable enough that you don't need to worry about the oxygen.  I've heard that they use nitrogen in F1 cars because they don't want water vapor in the wheels, but even that sounds sketchy to me. Maybe they use magnesium wheels that react with water.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Marcski wrote

Silly.
The shocks on my sled are all nitrogen filled. No water and better performance due to nitrogen being able to handle the heat therefore not boiling the oil in the shocks. Or something like that  
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
Marcski wrote
Gas filled shock absorbers and those struts that hold your car's hood up are filled with nitrogen because it's more inert and drier than ordinary air.  Those things are designed to work 5 or even 10 years, and you don't want any oxidation or corrosion going on, even at a slow rate.  Your tires are gonna be re-inflated every month or so, and the rubber in your tires is stable enough that you don't need to worry about the oxygen.  I've heard that they use nitrogen in F1 cars because they don't want water vapor in the wheels, but even that sounds sketchy to me. Maybe they use magnesium wheels that react with water.

mm
Ok, but with a bike shock you pump more air into it as needed. You don't do that with most normal car shocks. Unless that Fox bike shock was meant to be charged with air and never adjusted by the user, then filling it with nitrogen is just silly marketing.

The amount of water vapor in air is pretty low on average, but I can imagine there are applications where you want as little as possible.

If I fill my bike tires with helium I'll climb faster right?