Where to go first week in April

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where to go first week in April

billyymc
Due to a recent major life change I am considering taking a solo trip out west, but can't go until about April 3.

Most of my previous trips out west have been Utah and CO, with the usual CO trip being a Winter Park / Steamboat combo.

While I love the WP/SB trip I doubt first week in April will be the best time to head to the boat, so am leaning toward Utah but could be swayed to go somewhere else too.

Thoughts?  I know I"m likely to encounter spring conditions just about anywhere I go - I"m ok with that.

Going solo I will probably do less tree skiing than normal, but how knows...it can be pretty tempting even when alone.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where to go first week in April

PeeTex
Whistler is always good late into April, Alta-Bird also always delivers at that time of year.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
go to tahoe. it looks like they will have snow for a long time.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
My experience with Tahoe in April is that it turns into a pile of mush
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Came across this one on Mt Hood the other day. I wanted to post it if for no other reason than it's open 12 months a year.
3700 ft vert.

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
My experience with Tahoe in April is that it turns into a pile of mush
Too far south, maybe ?
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
If you are a ski tourer then this is the year to visit the eastern Sierra this spring.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by billyymc
Been skiing at Alta/Snowbird in April every year since 2008.  Sometimes well past the first week of April.  Have extended my stay by a couple days to catch a powder storm a few times.  Usually a day or two of powder mixed in with good spring skiing that may require heading out a little after 10:00 after the sun softens things up.  Fresh powder doesn't last long, but there are also far fewer local powder hounds in April.  Those who make the drive are often leave by 11:30 to head to work.

With the base already over 100 inches, late season should have good coverage in LCC/BCC.

Deepest powder I ever skied at Alta was 25+ inches on April 15, 2015.  Storm total was 34 inches. :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From what I've seen Alta rarely closes because the base is gone.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
With the base already over 100 inches, late season should have good coverage in LCC/BCC.

Deepest powder I ever skied at Alta was 25+ inches on April 15, 2015.  Storm total was 34 inches. :-)
I got caught in a 100" dumper the first week in April a few years back. Was interlodged - when they let us out the locals were still waiting for them to clear the roads. Supreme avalanched big time - covered the road and took out the lower parking garage at the Bird. Was a great morning but it all got sun baked in the afternoon. Had another 3 days of great skiing before we left.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Top choices would be in no particular order
Alta / Bird
Mammoth
Mt Bachelor
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
From what I've seen Alta rarely closes because the base is gone.
Yep, the Alta closing date is set well in advance and has nothing to do with snow coverage during late season.  But in a low snow year getting down off the High T the last few weeks of the season can get a bit tricky in spots.  Have only had that problem once in the last ten years though.

In recent years, Alta opens for a few final weekends after 7-day operations ends.  Supreme closes a week early.  For the weekends, best to check which lifts are running.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Due to a recent major life change
Revelstoke.  Depending on the nature of the change, heli-skiing (major, major change) or cat skiing (major change).  Balls out.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Go trout fishing
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Was just talking to a friend in Stewarts on Friday. He booked a week in Whistler with tickets for three, 1800 bucks Canadian.  
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
I've been to Whistler many times during the first 2 weeks in April, hard to go wrong. You can get spring or winter conditions or both sometimes in the same day. Powder is always  a possibility. With the Canadian dollar right now it's a bargain. Check out Skican, a tour outfit that puts a nice package together, flights, hotels and tickets at a good price.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
There is really good fishing just south of Mammoth along the eastern Sierra back country. 4K descents are the standard, Mt. Tom has a 7k line when the snow levels are low like they are right now. World class rock climbing all over that area as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by endoftheline
I'm thinking about a Late March Early April budget trip, flying into SLC, staying in Sandy, skiing Alta, driving up to Ogden, skiing PowMow, then going up to Jackson Hole, staying there somewhere, skiing, then driving back to SLC to fly out. Jackson Hole usually closes after the first week of April, but it's not for lack of snow (Forest Service permit, I think).
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by endoftheline
The Pinner, 4K of walled out deep couloir.

The Red Slate is an eastern Sierra classic.

Countless lines like these are right off the 395.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
I'm thinking about a Late March Early April budget trip, flying into SLC, staying in Sandy, skiing Alta, driving up to Ogden, skiing PowMow, then going up to Jackson Hole, staying there somewhere, skiing, then driving back to SLC to fly out. Jackson Hole usually closes after the first week of April, but it's not for lack of snow (Forest Service permit, I think).

Just remember that Jackson faces S.E.. It bakes out from Mid Feb on..
"Peace and Love"