Quantcast

Where to go first week in April

classic Classic
30 messages Options
Reply |  

Where to go first week in April

billyymc
Due to a recent major life change I am considering taking a solo trip out west, but can't go until about April 3.

Most of my previous trips out west have been Utah and CO, with the usual CO trip being a Winter Park / Steamboat combo.

While I love the WP/SB trip I doubt first week in April will be the best time to head to the boat, so am leaning toward Utah but could be swayed to go somewhere else too.

Thoughts?  I know I"m likely to encounter spring conditions just about anywhere I go - I"m ok with that.

Going solo I will probably do less tree skiing than normal, but how knows...it can be pretty tempting even when alone.

Reply |  

Re: Where to go first week in April

PeeTex
Whistler is always good late into April, Alta-Bird also always delivers at that time of year.

sig
Reply |  

sig
go to tahoe. it looks like they will have snow for a long time.

Reply |  

PeeTex
My experience with Tahoe in April is that it turns into a pile of mush

Reply |  

Snowballs
Came across this one on Mt Hood the other day. I wanted to post it if for no other reason than it's open 12 months a year.
3700 ft vert.

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/

Reply |  

Snowballs
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
My experience with Tahoe in April is that it turns into a pile of mush
Too far south, maybe ?

Reply |  

raisingarizona
If you are a ski tourer then this is the year to visit the eastern Sierra this spring.

Reply |  

marznc
In reply to this post by billyymc
Been skiing at Alta/Snowbird in April every year since 2008.  Sometimes well past the first week of April.  Have extended my stay by a couple days to catch a powder storm a few times.  Usually a day or two of powder mixed in with good spring skiing that may require heading out a little after 10:00 after the sun softens things up.  Fresh powder doesn't last long, but there are also far fewer local powder hounds in April.  Those who make the drive are often leave by 11:30 to head to work.

With the base already over 100 inches, late season should have good coverage in LCC/BCC.

Deepest powder I ever skied at Alta was 25+ inches on April 15, 2015.  Storm total was 34 inches. :-)

Reply |  

Harvey
Admin
From what I've seen Alta rarely closes because the base is gone.

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Reply |  

PeeTex
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
With the base already over 100 inches, late season should have good coverage in LCC/BCC.

Deepest powder I ever skied at Alta was 25+ inches on April 15, 2015.  Storm total was 34 inches. :-)
I got caught in a 100" dumper the first week in April a few years back. Was interlodged - when they let us out the locals were still waiting for them to clear the roads. Supreme avalanched big time - covered the road and took out the lower parking garage at the Bird. Was a great morning but it all got sun baked in the afternoon. Had another 3 days of great skiing before we left.