classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
772 messages Options
1 ... 343536373839
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

BenedictGomez
While we're at it, anyone wanna' take a shot as to why all the woods were closed yesterday?
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
As a recent purchaser of beacon/shovel/probe - I agree with making it permanent and removing the gold/silver/bronze status stuff.  They could then open it more, knowing it's a consistent rule, and will likely only get advanced skier traffic, as those owning said gear are more than likely able to ski the terrain as a general rule (kinda how they regulate things now, but inconsistently).  If you ski WF regularly, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to own this equipment, knowing it was your only way to get in there.

Then, after they put this permanent rule into effect, they should put up some kind of gate like they have at most western resorts, explaining the dangers of entering etc etc.

I think like others have mentioned, they would be able to open more if they were skied more, and be more safe as a result.

Win-win all around.  Would probably make for more favorable publicity of the slides, instead of ppl bitching online about the rules, which I'm sure they like to use anyways as social media content since that's the new competitive front for most mountains posting most snow, most trails, most this, that etc. these days.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by BenedictGomez
BenedictGomez wrote
While we're at it, anyone wanna' take a shot as to why all the woods were closed yesterday?
This has bothered me more than once this season.  I was there mid-week, after snowfalls, when things were going good, and there seemed to be no legit reason for them to be closed.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
A lot of this I would bet is based on staffing issues. It's not easy to get a completely competent, fully staffed ski patrol. This is especislly true when it comes to evaluating snow safety, mitigation work and complicated, difficult evacs.

I've never skied WF but I do know a little about snow-pack/safety evaluation and I would guess that 99% of the time the Slides aren't closed for avalanche risk (when there is enough coverage to ski). And as ADKMike pointed out, skier compaction is key for stability.

That being said, as a customer I would be annoyed too. I feel that way here a lot but I try to understand what our Patrol is really dealing with. Keeping people safe and dealing with potentially life threatening injuries is their main concern and if their ability to deal with that stuff is hampered by people getting in over their heads on natural expert terrain I can see how easy it would be to justify keeping things closed.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
raisingarizona wrote

That being said, as a customer I would be annoyed too.
Box checked.

I am a huge lover of Lake Placid, and genuinely enjoy my time at Whiteface, and typically defend the mountain against stereotypes that are very often unfair, but honestly, I've basically had it.  

The woods should have been open yesterday, The Slides should have been open sans regulations, Hoyt's could have been open had they the remotest desire to bother running Lookout Chair (they claimed there was too-much "poking through" for it to be safe, which I know was total bull**** because I skied it).   I'm really at my wits-end and getting fed-up with Whiteface entirely, and I know I'm not alone.  

It's only 1 hour more of a drive for me to hit Smuggler's Notch and a bit more to Jay Peak, where at least I know that after a 45" inch snowfall and the best weather of the entire ski season, I'll actually be able to ski 100% open terrain, as well as (*GASP*) some glades. My last few weeks of eastern skiing will 100% be spent in Vermont, I can assure you that.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
What's strange about silver status is that although you need the beacon, probe and shovel, you don't need a partner (or two).  That stuff is not much good without someone to use it.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
D.B. Cooper wrote
What's strange about silver status is that although you need the beacon, probe and shovel, you don't need a partner (or two).  That stuff is not much good without someone to use it.
That's because it's not about the snow safety part, it's about limiting the users out there and accidents. Again, as a customer that would probably piss me off a little too.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
They did make you actually wear the beacon this weekend, but they didn't make you whip out your probe, or shovel.  Buy the cheapest beacon for less than $200, carry a pack, and be done with it.  Amortize the cost of the beacon over many happy years of skiing the Slides and your frustration free WF ski life will cost you very little per year.....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
Or go to Vermont....

https://youtu.be/bpMv76SIUhg

ff to 1:53 if you must, or.....

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Staffing is frequently an issue.  I've been there on days when the Slides should have been open but weren't because patrol was assigned elsewhere because there was a big race.  As for this past weekend, WF is down 5 full time patrol staff from their mid-winter numbers, or so I was told.  Put staff at the Slides then maybe they can't open the glades, or vice versa.  It may not be right, but we also aren't paying $124 for a day ticket.  I'm as angry as the next guy when I get skunked by a midweek or lack of staff closure so I do my best to anticipate and avoid such situations.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
They did make you actually wear the beacon this weekend, but they didn't make you whip out your probe, or shovel.  
It was nice of them to not make you carry all that pretend equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Hehe.....he said "whip out your probe"
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Whip out your probe
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
My Stella vacation came to a close yesterday with some outstanding packed P trail skiing and one more trip up the outlaw trail with some powder skirt bandits
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Who were the skirt bandits, and did they want to examine your probe, or shovel?
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
If I go to Whiteface this Saturday or Sunday, what are the chances of the slides being open? I"ll have a partner plus Beacon/probe/shovel.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Based on the forecast of snow I'd say pretty low

I can't remember them ever being open when it was snowing.  Not something you want to ski in low vis
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
This post was updated on .
On Tuesday, my son and I skied Whiteface for the first time ever.  What a great time we had as conditions were really good with mild temps (30-35), no wind, a light snow fall and soft snow all over.  We will definitely be back in future years.

Here's my Good, Bad, and the Ugly:

The Good, No Make that Great: The ski conditions and what a great time we had.  We stuck to the blues with a few blacks in there and every run was fun.  The only small disappointing part was when we went to the Top Station and were socked in by clouds and fog and missed out on any great views from up there.  The Bear Crossing made us chuckle too but how does one actually get there?

The Bad - there was no bad

The Ugly - At the Mid-Station Lodge, there was the most disgusting collection of dead flies on the window sills...a hundred, probably more   In hindsight, I should have taken a picture and sent it to Gov Cuomo with a note telling him he needs to spend taxpayers $$$$ on cleaning this up before his other boondoggle ideas

ps. I'd post some pictures but for some reason, most of my pictures posted on nyskiblog come out with the wrong orientation despite my best intentions.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Ha good point on the flys
We just get used to them but if a health dept inspector were to somehow show up on skis that can't be legit for a food service op.  It's decidedly not world class and joins the litany of things Orda should should money on before a mountain coaster or zip line.

The photo orientation thing is Google's way of giving the finger to Apple
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I found a solution to the sideways picture problem. Go to edit, rotate it a full 360 degrees, crop a little off the edges and then post it
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
1 ... 343536373839