73 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Woman drowned during Hudson River rafting trip

mikegbflo
Disappointed to say the least.
Surprised? Hardly.
$$ talks, and as pat c proves yet again BS walks.
Seems to me the definition of a good guy is a matter of opinion 'round here...  
Civil Suit?
The long days of Shockley are gone,
 So is football Kennedy style
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
mikegbflo wrote

Seems to me the definition of a good guy is a matter of opinion 'round here...  

isn't it always???
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I wish someone would define "nice guy" here. I'm confused. Is he a good drinking buddy? Does he say hi, howareya, from across the street all the time?
Maybe that's the problem. If I went up there to do a day trip, walked into the place, shook his hand, I might say to myself, "Hey, what a nice guy", climb into a raft with a drunken guide he hired, and die later on that afternoon. Maybe the world needs more uptight jerks to run river raft companies. My chief guide down the Grand Canyon wasn't Mr. Warm and Cuddly, but, he ran a tight crew, and I'm alive to tell you about it.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Look who's in more trouble! Although the Post Star didn't quite get everything right. They said it was a raft trip on the upper Hudson, whereas it was really a tubing trip down the middle. Sending tubers down the Hudson without a guide on class I and II rapids is legal. This trip started at the regular take out, which is still considered class III water until you pass the Whitewater Challengers shop. If it had started a mile downstream, it would not have been an issue.

http://poststar.com/news/local/new-york-attorney-general-says-rafter-violated-order/article_bc5c73a0-fef9-11e2-a79e-0019bb2963f4.html

Link may not work. Tried changing it from mobile to non-mobile. Lets see if I took out the right stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Link works, thanks for it tBatt.

With regard to the story.

I just can't believe it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Good Lord.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Even on a short rope, he'll wrap it around his neck . . . and probably still wriggle out.

What else has to happen before this guy toes the line? Hasn't enough happened already?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
It is a travesty of justice that Cunningham's operation wasn't shut down completely last fall, not to mention the light sentence that the guide received.

Adirondack Life has a very well written, detailed account of exactly what happened on the day Tammy Blake drowned last fall: Death on the River

Anyone who's been following this tragedy should give it a read.  .30 BAC, Jesus Christ.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Wow...If Cunningham really sent an unlicensed guide out with a boat, the business should be shuttered.    

There is no excuse, even if the alleged guide "lied" to the cunningham or one of his employees.  Cunningham knew well that he was under a court order, you check, double check and then tripple check before you permit anyone out.    

I like to give benefit of doubt and do have some trust issues with authorities.....that said, it may have been that the guide had his/her old license with him/her, did not have the license "displayed" or the license got wet and was unreadable at the time.     The officer may have just wanted to be an itch in Cunninghams side.  Can't say he does not deserve it.    

I have been ticketed for driving without a license.....I have one, it was not on me at the time I went to get a quart of oil for my mower.   I was stopped for alleged seatbelt violation, when he couldn't write that ticket, he found another reason.  
I have been ticketed for fishing without a license.......it was in my tackle box, next to me, but not  "prominently displayed on my person" as required.      

Letter of the law was broken by me both times. The police verified my license via his laptop.  I handed the ranger my license within seconds of his asking.    Just prick police/rangers who wanted to prove their manhood.    All it cost was court time which raises taxes.  No one cares about my time away from work......After all, I'm just a scofflaw who pays the taxes.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
That's a first class, full-on rant right there!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
This post was updated on .
Noah John wrote
That's a first class, full-on rant right there!  

Too early in the day to be PUI.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Looks like the end of the line for Hudson River Rafting Co.:

http://poststar.com/news/local/dec-commissioner-decides-rafting-pioneer-should-not-have-license/article_aa7de70f-2b78-55ab-aaa3-996749c8b21a.html

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble