Wood Pellets

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wood Pellets

campgottagopee
Anyone heat with a pellet stove? If so I'm curious as to what pellets you burn. I've used a pellet stove as my primary heat source for 3 yrs now and love it. If I had more time I'd burn firewood but right now I don't have the time.

Anyway, my favorite pellet to burn is Barefoot. They are a super premium pellet and they seem to burn best in my stove. I get great heat and low ash. That said, I didn't get enough of them this fall thinking it wouldn't be an issue getting more mid season, lesson learned. So now I'm forced into trying diff brands. I've burned Instant Heat, they're kind meh imo. They burn OK but very little heat. I've tried Timber Heat , no heat and crazy amounts of ash. I've also tried Dry Creek, so far these are my second favorite. Decent heat, ash is tolerable, but I get bad clinkers in my burn pit. Today I'm going to get 1/2 ton of Somerset pellets to give them a try. 3 of my buddy's burn them and swear by them, plus the reviews are favorable. If they burn good at 229/ton I may make the move over to them.

Anyone else?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wood Pellets

Ethan Snow
campgottagopee wrote
 If I had more time I'd burn firewood but right now I don't have the time.

Come on Campy! A hard working guy like you who lives in the country should have time to burn fire wood. If you have to buy fire wood, I guess I could see how the price point would be something to consider. We have yet to purchase fire wood, and yes, It is a lot of cutting and splitting.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with wood pellets.

I hope someday you have the time once again enjoy the magic of wood heat.

That reminds me, I need to get off my stupid computer, and bring some more fire wood to the house. It's so much work!
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Good to know, Camp. I always thought less of pellets because you still have to buy them. Always seemed more logical to just use oil. I've never bought firewood. I like that a pellet stove is off the grid and self feeding though. I wonder what the cost per heating day is vs wood, oil, gas nowadays?
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
You're correct in that I could heat with wood if I wanted to. I could even get the wood from camp. It would just cut into my ME time during the summer which is something I don't want to do. In 4 hrs I can have all my pellets inside, stacked, and ready to burn. You heat with firewood so you know how long it takes to get that much firewood together and it ain't 4 hrs.  

Don't worry tho --- I help 2 of my buddy's, plus camp get their wood in so I get plenty of cutting, splitting and stacking in.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
I burn 4 ton of pellets / yr which cost me 900 +/-

Going by the previous owners fuel bills that's about a third of what it cost them to heat the place. This is my 3rd winter and I've yet to put a drop of fuel oil in the tank.

BTW, in case anyone want to know, Somerset Pellets are an par with Barefoot