|

Re: Yale

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

PeeTex
I think the correct answer was that their SAT scores were higher, I doubt this guy even took the test...
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
I'd like to think that was a sarcastic answer to a stupid question.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
I'd like to think that was a sarcastic answer to a stupid question.
exactly
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Possibly - but did you ever see the Peter Sellers movie "Being there"?
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
I have not.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Idiotic question to begin with .... Why did Yale win is a better question

ANSWER .. hAd a greater concentration on EXECUTING FUNDAMENTALS !!  Teams that are STRONG onFUNDAMENTALS , like  strong D , blocking out for boards , making foul shots , finding the open man and NOT taking rediculous shots are ften able by their DISCIPLINED approach to the game able to TRUMP , flash and dash teams who believe their press clippings

So Middle Tennesee, Northern Iowa with that pale Lumberjack dude who sank 19/20 fouls shots.with great supporting cast who performed at high efficiency both on O and D are examples of this phenomena .

As a former coach , games are often won in practice by drilling great fundamentals and sticking to the. Knitting when u are in battle . pLay ur game not ur opponents .Cool execution rayher than frenzied ,hurried , unfocesed flash and dash minimizes mistakes and often gets desired results to the SHOCK of many 😳
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
That dude's answer totally reminded me of Gregg Popovich ---- love his interviews

WD --- hows about Cuse!?!!!! Essentially a 2 seed now!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
As a former coach , games are often won in practice by drilling great fundamentals and sticking to the. Knitting when u are in battle . pLay ur game not ur opponents .Cool execution rayher than frenzied ,hurried , unfocesed flash and dash minimizes mistakes and often gets desired results to the SHOCK of many 😳
And you would then like the movie "Moneyball" - stick to the fundamentals and play the odds.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
That dude's answer totally reminded me of Gregg Popovich ---- love his interviews

WD --- hows about Cuse!?!!!! Essentially a 2 seed now!
I wish there was a clip showing the guy asking the question
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Camper : Cuse has to play well , that team is fundamentally very sound and will be ready , hopefully the real Cuse shows up !

Go Orange !,
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
 I doubt this guy even took the test...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm not sure why you would jump to that conclusion.  The kid gave a clearly stated, unstuttering, funny response to a snarky question after what must have been a disappointing loss.  I give the kid credit for staying composed and not responding with an emotional outburst.  He's a Media arts major and apparently has learned something in the classroom....
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Yes the kid was brighter than the so called scribe who asked this idiotic question..IMAGINE Boeheim, Bobby KNIGHT or Popovich in this situation. The reporter's paper asshole would havevbeen scorched 😃😃😃
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
This post was updated on .
That would have been a profane shitstorm but their intelligence likely wouldn't have been questioned by some since they "look" the part....
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by skimore
That is a hilarious clip. So much dumb stuff gets asked in interviews. He could have played the it straight up I guess, but clearly the guy was frustrated. I wonder what the odds were on Baylor vs Yale.

PeeTex what?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
PeeTex what?
Only saw what was in the clip and not the whole interview. It appeared to me as though the player could not formulate a straight answer or did not understand what the reporter was actually asking rather than replying with a snark. Apparently others saw it differently. Combine that with my overall frustration with colleges and their emphasis on athletics over academics. Imagine trying to get your kid into Yale, if he/she is a straight A student and pulls over 1400 combined on the SATs, not enough. If all those courses are Honors or AP courses they might make the first cut. If they were class president and have about 1000 hours of charity work on top and maybe has written a few published articles than maybe - and if they do get accepted you get the honor of coughing up $61K/year. If your kid is a great basketball player, no problem. Sorry - college sports pisses me off.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
PeeTex wrote
Harvey wrote
PeeTex what?
Only saw what was in the clip and not the whole interview. It appeared to me as though the player could not formulate a straight answer or did not understand what the reporter was actually asking rather than replying with a snark. Apparently others saw it differently. Combine that with my overall frustration with colleges and their emphasis on athletics over academics. Imagine trying to get your kid into Yale, if he/she is a straight A student and pulls over 1400 combined on the SATs, not enough. If all those courses are Honors or AP courses they might make the first cut. If they were class president and have about 1000 hours of charity work on top and maybe has written a few published articles than maybe - and if they do get accepted you get the honor of coughing up $61K/year. If your kid is a great basketball player, no problem. Sorry - college sports pisses me off.
While you are worried about a handful of athletes at Yale, 8%-13% of Yale students are legacies. There are about 5500 undergraduates (6900 post grads).  At least the athletes have a unique skill besides mommy or daddy or grandpa or grandma or siblings attending Yale.
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
The Ivies still do not allow athletic scholarships.  Although they may get an extra nod during the admissions process, the athletes in their programs truly bust their asses solely for the love of the game once they are in school.    I was a D1 athlete at a non-Ivy, so I really respect athletes who can compete both academically and athletically at such a high level.  The level of focus that it takes is impressive to me...
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
JohnIrvingwrestles wrote
The Ivies still do not allow athletic scholarships.  Although they may get an extra nod during the admissions process, the athletes in their programs truly bust their asses solely for the love of the game once they are in school.    I was a D1 athlete at a non-Ivy, so I really respect athletes who can compete both academically and athletically at such a high level.  The level of focus that it takes is impressive to me...
There are plenty of ways to offer money to athletes that are not "athletic scholarships" and many "non-scholarship" schools go this route. I agree that athletes deserve anything they can get since are owned by the school for many hours during the school year.