i shot a 330 indoors...holy crap...a freak'n cannon
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: fun things

campgottagopee
LMAO--- I bet!

I came back to camp once only to find one of our guys quietly napping in a chair. With the assistance of his son we woke him up with a 3 inch magnum shotgun blast out the camp door. Got the whole thing on video. Funny as hell!!! His ass actually came up off the chair.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I still haven't gotten used to how loud gunfire is, but I usually only attend my brother's GWA living history and tactical events once every year or so.  Between the Vietnam and WWI events I've attended I've use an AK-47, AR-15, M16, and an M1903 Springfield.  Oh, and the Chauchat light machine gun, which lived up to its' reputation as the worst machine gun ever made.  The AK and the Sho Sho are the loudest, but nothing compared to a 330 I'm sure.

Those events are a hell of a lot of fun, with dozens to hundreds (depending on the event) of guys in a PA field (trenches, no-man's land, shell holes and all) with period uniforms, weapons, tactics and mess "fighting" (only blanks, obviously) for the weekend.  Haven't done a post combat bunker crawl yet, but maybe this year.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
That's wild; must be outside NY right? I don't think you can own a machine gun here. I admit I never understood the appeal of those battlefield reenactor events but shooting a ww1 machine gun sounds pretty cool. The closest I ever came to that was an M1 carbine. I looked into going to one of those machine gun ranges in Orlando last year but they wanted like $200 for what seemed like a marginal product so I went to Gatorland instead. No regrets there by the way. Gatorland was definitely a fun thing.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Cool stuff

I haven't shot many rifles, I do own a few of them but nothing exotic if you will. More of a shotgun guy myself --- I snatch up all the Belgium made A5 Browning's I can find.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Brownski
Yes, the Great War Association (GWA) has a location in Newville, PA, southwest of Harrisburg.  Gun ownership laws are much friendlier out there than they are in NY.  My brother was always a history geek, and for years did the Civil War living history reenactment thing.  I did a few of those with him.  Cool....but kinda boring unless you were really into the history of it.  Those events were more of a show for the public.

Of course, he knew a lot of like minded history and military types who love the history of war and weapons.  He transitioned to GWA events, and now has multiple period kits, including weapons, for WWI, WW2 and Vietnam.  The events they have there aren't for the public, it's to immerse yourself in the history and the battle.  Yeah, they are only blanks.....but when making tactical movements and engaging in combat you really get a feeling for what it may have been like to be in the trenches in WWI, or on patrol in the jungles (woods) of Nam.  Lots of Vets at the events as well.  Being in a foxhole with a guy who just got back from Afghanistan a year ago....the shit guys like that have been through, the things they share....it gets very real.  One of the Nam events....a Vet from Vietnam (not participating in the event) saw a sign on the main road outside the complex for 'Nam '69' and wandered in.  It was kind of surreal.  So, in addition to gaining a much better appreciation of what people went through in war, it's a hell of a lot of fun doing drills, engaging in combat, and shooting real guns, heck....even pulling KP duty to cook and serve in the field mess.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
.....and we drink a fair amount once battle officially ends, for those who want to pass out from something other than exhaustion!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I was a history major in college myself. I certainly understand the appeal of that part of it. Didn't ever think about the potential benefit for veterans. That's pretty cool too
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Like Brownski said I bet the vets really like that stuff. I'd guess it's hard for them to get that kind of camaraderie anywhere other than an event like that.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This maybe a repeat but tacos. F$#k I love em.

Reading the political threads and the emotionally tied posts and at the same time realizing that Idgif. :)
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
High speed wind buffed powder snow. My god it feels good to lay it over and bend the sh#t out of a ski in that stuff!

Seriously though, I'll take the wind buffed cream over the super deep blower any day.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Shit man here in CNY I think we'd take ANY kind of snow this year
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Work day at camp tomorrow morning then bonfire party with the A18 Gang in the afternoon --- WOOT

Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Spedies n brewskis ???
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Is this a Becker Wrecker-level party or just a casual get together? I feel like you throw a giant party on a quarterly basis. I'm not criticizing, just super jealous.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Thus his rep as Camppartyreptile <smiley image="anim_jump.gif"/>
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
Good gawd no!! The Becker Wrecker is only a once a year party --- you can only handle one of those per year -- those 4 to 5 day parties are crazy

This was our Annual SHAG Party --- South Hill A18 Gang ---- just a bunch of locals enjoying the weather, beer, and all kinds of dead animals on the BeerBQ

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
A guy at work referred to himself yesterday as a Man Bear Pig because he is a man who is strong like a bear and can take a punch like a pig.  Apparently pigs can take punches well because they are fat...

So I've been leaving this voicemail on his phone - grrrrr oink oink..     
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
bwahahahahahaaaaa
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee