Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

'11-'12 The Lowest Snowfall Season Ever

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Scarey, eh ?

1911-1912 winter season was the lowest snowfall ever recorded. Albany totaled 13.8 inches for that season, according to tonight's newscast.

Soooo, 100 years later.....this 2011-2012 season snowfall......

Too freaky says I.

It's wiggin me out.

Maybe the Mayans are right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: '11-'12 The Lowest Snowfall Season Ever

Cornhead
I've got a trip booked for Sugarbush in a couple weeks, I'm nervous, they do have some snow now. You'd think you'd be pretty safe planning a trip to VT for the end of January, think again, 52 degrees when I stopped skiing this afternoon. A motorcycle went by me on the way home, it's just not right. Maybe it is a sign, Dec 21st, right? Better mark that on my calender.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Well if Sugarbush has nothing... I would suggest hoping on that Goupon deal that Jimvdak posted and getting up to Smuggs. Definitely deep up there. Hell, I would suggest it even if Sugarbush has snow.

Smuggs, two days ago. Courtesy: Worth Skis

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
According to MadPat the Eastern townships have been steadily up small amounts of snow since Christmas and are also in pretty good shape.

I still think the parallels to 06-07 are strong. I'm leaving my calendar clear on Valentine's Day.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Harvey44 wrote
According to MadPat the Eastern townships have been steadily up small amounts of snow since Christmas and are also in pretty good shape.

I still think the parallels to 06-07 are strong. I'm leaving my calendar clear on Valentine's Day.
Don't forget Martin Luther King Day ... we had a storm that weekend too!!!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
I was really hoping for an 06-07 type cycle to start happening. After weeks of hoping for the other fist to drop, I am resigned that this will probably be one of the worst ski seasons of my life. We are still significantly behind 06-07. And while the big storms of that season had not yet come at this time, we also weren't heading into a weekend of record highs. True that NoVT got some good small storms that have added up. But trail numbers are still wicked low and don't show me that the small storms are building a great base except where the wind is blowing. Jay isn't even 1/3 open yet and 40 degrees today isn't going to help.

At least we are heading in the right direction. We know it will snow. We know it will get better. But it is going to take nothing short of the three foot Valentine's Day storm to save this season and it's going to take a massive amount more to make this a better than average or great season. We are so far behind the eight ball at this point,
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Good point River....was the '06-07 season " cold " but lacking snow? Big difference as at least cold enables snowmaking and preserves what snow is down.

BUT being too warm is an even worse cancer. Not only does it not snow, but snowmaking doesn't work and what snow is on the ground melts.

With such a minimum amount of snow down, it's not hard to imagine it melting away as warm as it's been.

This coming week + ,  predicted to warm and rainy, will be crucial.

Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
We were really spoiled last year...I'm just happy that I can get my skis on and pointed downhill..::thinking positive::
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
I'm starting to hate Al Gore and his global warming.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Good point River....was the '06-07 season " cold " but lacking snow? Big difference as at least cold enables snowmaking and preserves what snow is down.
Back on December 7, I had put up a post with a spreadsheet of historical data comparing temps from 06-07 to December 2011 in Lake Placid. I've updated that spreadsheet as of yesterday.

When you look at the data, you can see that the pattern changed on January 9, 2007. When you compare the data, we're actually doing a little better this year than we were in 06-07. Also, some of the stuff I've been reading suggests that after this warm-up on Thursday, we may be in for a period of extended cold. Let's hope so!!!

2006_To_2011_LP_Weather_Comparison.xls
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!