ACR Back in the news ADE 8/11 and 8/12

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
41 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ACR Back in the news ADE 8/11 and 8/12

endoftheline
Check it out, not looking to promising, but nothing new either. With this out it might be tough finding new investors.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ACR Back in the news ADE 8/11 and 8/12

Adk Jeff
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
"Who would of imagined it'd be difficult to develop in a park", said no one sane ever.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
"Lawson said without the Pond Road sales, the chances of an operational ski area this winter are slim due to operation costs faced by the mostly volunteer group ARISE.

He himself faces financial difficulties as well. With several foreclosures initiated on personal properties and outstanding contractor bills, he says he's lining up his ducks with full intention to pay back debts in "one fell swoop."

That "swoop" hinges on the progress of the ACR, a project that has stretched more than a decade beyond developers' expectations when they proposed it in 2003."

So, basically, you have a person running this show that needs a quick jackpot to get out from his pretty big personal debt load, including the IRS. That's encouraging.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
ADK Jeff, Great job, did you know that the ADE published an editorial on 8/18/16 pretty much apologizing for the 2 articles? Could you get a link to that also?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Latest from NCPR. Big Tupper story tomorrow. Check it out at www.northcountrypublicradio.org
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
endoftheline wrote
Latest from NCPR. Big Tupper story tomorrow. Check it out at www.northcountrypublicradio.org
Short review - they have no money

Some details -
They have banged out 2 small Cazenovia businesses recently to the tune of $110,000 and are now being sued by those businesses.
They still owe property taxes on Big Tupper - over $290,000.
They still do not own the land they claim to have sales contracts on.
They need to file permits for the road to get to the great camps they claim to have sold -

and they still are too far from population centers - the ultimate reason that this will never happen.      
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Adk Jeff wrote
Here's the link directly to the story:
http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/32701/20161006/hopes-for-tupper-lake-resort-tangled-in-unpaid-bills-back-taxes

My favorite quote is this one from Jim Lavalley:

"We are working with and we are affiliating with a large international company that should be announced soon," said Jim LaValley, one of the North Country’s biggest realtors, whose main office is in Tupper Lake."

How many times have we heard of investors (or buyers) that are waiting in the wings and should be announced "soon?"

And, as predicted, they're blaming it all on the environmental groups, ignoring the fact that they never had the financial backing to be able to build the homes that no one wants in the first place.
Jim Lavalley, one of the North Country's biggest realtors???????????????????? Really???  Since When??  If you check his website it seems to be mostly low priced properties from all the remote regions of the area.

Slight thread drift, but  the ACR seems to be mirroring the Trump Story of Development, Stiff the contractors and blame everything on the Media.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
A lot of Trump's "success" is due to the real estate philosophy of trying to find investors and telling them exactly what they want to hear (even if it goes against what you said two seconds ago). I keep my politics talk over in the off topic section, but here's a link to read:

https://storify.com/TCrown/trump-s-entire-campaign-is-a-failed-real-estate-in

As far as Big Tupper, I'm just waiting to win the powerball and I'm going to buy it. I don't care that it's not near population centers, it has a weird layout, and it doesn't get enough snow. I'd spend the last 50 years of my life whittling down lottery winnings to make it fun again.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
mattchuck2 wrote
I keep my politics talk over in the off topic section,
Not to worry, Harv only minds if it is anti Hillary political talk. You can bash Trump anywhere in any topic area and he doesn't care.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
PeeTex wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
Not to worry, Harv only minds if it is anti Hillary political talk. You can bash Trump anywhere in any topic area and he doesn't care.
Dude you are such a whiner!!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Darkside Shaman wrote
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
And in  the continuing saga of ACR, there's this:  

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/32701/20161006/hopes-for-tupper-lake-resort-tangled-in-unpaid-bills-back-taxes

If this was such a great deal, they wouldn't be begging for outside investors, because banks would have been all over it.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
PeeTex wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
Hahahah! PeeTex is a whinner!! Sniff Sniff!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You guys should leave the political sewer talk in the OT --- just sayin
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
10/12/16 ADE article on Big Tupper. Not looking good for opening this coming season.  Article says the facility does not have snowmaking equipment but fails to mention it was the  developers who sold it all off years ago.

Lavalley says ARISE has no money but declined to go into detail, yeah I wonder why. ARISE just co sponsored the Octupper Fest, where did all that money end up? It is well known the developer is in dire financial straights and that the electric service was shut off at the mountain last spring. The volunteer pool has shrunk dramatically because they have mostly come to realize that the jobs they had been promised are just a fantasy.

It goes on to say that if they get good snow before X-Mass week they will try to make it open and that Lavalley just received notice from the labor dept that all ski areas must now provide verification of adequate safety before opening??? I thought that was always required before.  

Sounds like Lavalley/ARISE are just trying to cover their bases in light of all the recent bad media write ups on the developers financial woes.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Not having snowmaking kills any chance they have of being successful.  Even with just limited snowmaking they could be open so much more and that would allow them to keep a customer base.

Still, even with snowmaking, it is in a very remote location and won't likely get enough customers to remain profitable.

I wonder if it could be operated as a private club or co-op and still stay afloat.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
Customer base? What customer base?