skimore
This post was updated on .
Fogged in all day. Never saw the sun.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ADK 3/2

Chris
Sweet!  looks like a cozy day in the woods.   Highpeaks area?
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
No
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
NO!!

come on, where were the pics taken?
don't worry , i'm not going to show up at your spot. if i can't take a lift to it, my old ass isn't skiing it..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Just about everybody likes to see photos with a trip report, but photos alone without any text, description or explanation to put those photos in context are, in my opinion, next to worthless.  Sure, they're nice photos and I'm sure they mean something to Skimore, but posted on their own in an internet forum they don't contribute much.  Certainly it is not necessary for a trip report to divulge the specific location or provide a roadmap.  Too bad, I'd like to hear more about that trip myself.  Makes me question the motivation for posting those photos in the first place.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Looking good, my only issue is that I can't go back in time to shred pow with you guys.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Bring some extra garments.....as few of those got shredded
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In my opinion TRs are some of the most valuable content posted on NYSB. It's the stuff I come back and view over and over.

Thanks to all who start threads in the TR forum.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
Just about everybody likes to see photos with a trip report, but photos alone without any text, description or explanation to put those photos in context are, in my opinion, next to worthless.  Sure, they're nice photos and I'm sure they mean something to Skimore, but posted on their own in an internet forum they don't contribute much.  Certainly it is not necessary for a trip report to divulge the specific location or provide a roadmap.  Too bad, I'd like to hear more about that trip myself.  Makes me question the motivation for posting those photos in the first place.
I totally disagree. There is no need for captions or locations to understand that Skimore & Co. had an awesome day. They skied up, they skied down, they skied in the fog, they skied some pow, what more do you need to know?

In addition, there is a certain zen-like purity to his thread titles.

If you skied where and how Skimore does, you would likely be a little reticent to share even the vicinity. Those adventures are likely the result of a lot of research, slogging and more bushwhacking than skiing. With the number of people heading into the BC these days, places like that will get tracked out in a hurry.

There is also the safety issue. I don't know Skimore but I assume he and his pals are experienced BC skiers with a solid level of skill and knowledge. If some BC noob went to the exact spot Skimore did and had a misadventure/injury, how do you think Skimore would feel?

Personally, I would rather see the stoke and know that there are still untracked places out there for those that know where it is and have the skills to enjoy it.

One of my favorite quotes is germane to this discussion:

"Adventure is not in the guidebook and beauty is not on the map. Seek and ye shall find."
- from "On the Loose" by Renny and Terry Russell, Sierra Club Books
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Sick Bird Rider wrote
I totally disagree.
So you’re saying pictures enhance a words-only TR, but you disagree that words enhance a pics-only TR?

As for the frequently debated contentions that backcountry TRs (a) despoil the wilderness by revealing choice locations and (b) lure unsuspecting noobies to their own death or injury, that just doesn’t apply here.  I’m not suggesting that Skimore or anyone else supply a roadmap, detailed routefinding instructions, or even the identity of a specific location.  I am suggesting that a curt “No” response is a bit off-putting in a forum allegedly dedicated to sharing information in an environment that treats other members with respect.  I’m sure I wouldn’t have had this reaction if Skimore had instead responded, for example, “Northern Adirondacks” or “Blue Ridge Wilderness” or even “pm me.”  Maybe I’m just sensitive… although I haven’t heard that one before.   

Everyone’s entitled to their own opinions, style, etc. and I'll find a way to live with Skimore's zen-like man-of-no-words style.  I certainly enjoy your tales and reports, SBR, both here and at RJPR.  

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Relax. The question poster didn't have a problem and has since emailed me

I tried to find one of your trip reports to use as an outline of how to post properly, but couldn't find one
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
skimore wrote
I tried to find one of your trip reports to use as an outline of how to post properly, but couldn't find one
They are one click away. I'm sure you can find them without a roadmap.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
So you’re saying pictures enhance a words-only TR, but you disagree that words enhance a pics-only TR?
No, what I said was:

Sick Bird Rider wrote
...and last time I checked, a picture was still worth a thousand words. ....this is fine if you can write like Hemingway but most of us can't, so we use pictures to convey our enthusiasm for our chosen sport and the places we ski.
And I still maintain that a picture is worth a thousand words. My personal preference is brief, clever words with awesome pictures and amazing skiers. That is hard for most of us to achieve, so we do what we can. I like to write, I'm an average skier and I take average pictures, so my TRs tend to be wordy. IMHO, the role model for TRs is Skier 666, author of Slaythegnar.com. The guy is a great skier, skis with other great skiers, takes very good pictures, happens to live in the west and apparently has a large disposable income. Lucky him, and I'm glad he shares freely and with great humour.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Nice skimore!!!

I'm on side with SBR and skimore here.

I've written TR without pictures, but I don't have any issues with pic TRs without text. The pics speak for themselves.

No need to pin point online the GPS coordinates. It's in the ADK on March 3rd, that is enough for me.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

Zippy
I (mostly) lurk here because I like to see pictures and stories about skiing. I hope skimore is not discouraged and posts more pictures of skiing off the trails. I don't do that kind of skiing, but I like to see the reports. The fog in the pictures is mystical. I don't think it shows a positive spirit to say someone's effort is worthless.