ADVICE WANTED: Ski instruction at Gore

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ADVICE WANTED: Ski instruction at Gore

Petronio
One of my primary goals this season is to have my three girls (and myself) really progress our skills.

The youngest (age 10) is easiest -- I am going to put her in the 6 week program for kids 12U.

The older two (ages 13 and 15) are a little harder.  They are low intermediate.  The older one can ski blues pretty easily.  Her turns are almost always parallel except perhaps on steeper terrain.  The younger sometimes hesitates -- relies mostly on short-radius turns, maybe slipping into a wedge christie to start the turn.  I've been trying to get her to focus on keeping the skis parallel and using her edges to initiate the turn.  Neither uses poles -- I never found a convenient time to introduce them.

I don't think the Gore teen xtreme program is really for them, so I think I am going to have them take some private lessons while the youngest is in the morning program.  That will also give me an opportunity to take a couple of lessons.

Any recommendations/advice?  Specifically I would appreciate any recommended instructors for the girls.  I think they respond better to female instructors, but not an absolute.

Thanks,
Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ADVICE WANTED: Ski instruction at Gore

Glade Runner
Banned User
I haven't found a convenient time to reintroduce myself to poles as well.  Been without them probably 5 years or so.  I feel like it upped my skiing and I get a lot of comments from people on the mountain about it.  But, it is real convenient to get my phone out and snap some pics without those pesky poles in my way.  But, sorry I have no advice on instructors.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Petronio
I'm probably not even close to the best person to answer this. Maybe the worst as I've never really had a lesson.

Mattchuck is the best qualified to answer this question.

We've used Erin Barton for our 8 year old.  While I have nothing to compare Erin too, we've seen that after many lessons three and four years ago, in the last two years, an hour with Erin at the beginning of the season really ups Neve's game, on her edges and skiing parallel.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
If you're looking for a younger female instructor in her 20s/early 30s to ski with at Gore (which, you're right, is probably the best match for 13-15 year old girls), go with Erin B, Erin D, Kayla C, or Chantel M. All of them are PSIA certified (halfway done with level II) and really good instructors. I'd probably get your daughters poles before the lesson, and casually mention that they're using them for the first time and need to know what to do. Poles will probably improve the skiing immensely because a reaching pole touch will allow them to get a little more forward and drive the skis more (instead of trying to steer from the heels, which leads to wedge christie-ing and other bad habits).

If you want a lesson for yourself while this is going on, and not picky about the instructor, I'd just sign up for a group lesson and go to one of the higher numbers (7,8,9). Then ask the guy that comes up to you (Biff or Mark, probably) for a PSIA certified pro (higher number the better). You'll most likely be by yourself or in a group with one or 2 other folks, so you'll get solid one-on-one instruction time. Let the instructor know what you want to work on (he should ask, but just in case he doesn't, be specific).

Also, if you're looking for a good deal, the Master of the Mountain programs are the best value for instruction at the mountain. 2 days of instruction, video analysis, free beer and wine, breakfast and lunch both days for $185 for passholders. For non passholders, it's $240, which may be an even better deal.

Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
mattchuck2 wrote
If you're looking for a younger female instructor in her 20s/early 30s to ski with at Gore (which, you're right, is probably the best match for 13-15 year old girls), go with Erin B, Erin D, Kayla C, or Chantel M. All of them are PSIA certified (halfway done with level II) and really good instructors. I'd probably get your daughters poles before the lesson, and casually mention that they're using them for the first time and need to know what to do. Poles will probably improve the skiing immensely because a reaching pole touch will allow them to get a little more forward and drive the skis more (instead of trying to steer from the heels, which leads to wedge christie-ing and other bad habits).

If you want a lesson for yourself while this is going on, and not picky about the instructor, I'd just sign up for a group lesson and go to one of the higher numbers (7,8,9). Then ask the guy that comes up to you (Biff or Mark, probably) for a PSIA certified pro (higher number the better). You'll most likely be by yourself or in a group with one or 2 other folks, so you'll get solid one-on-one instruction time. Let the instructor know what you want to work on (he should ask, but just in case he doesn't, be specific).

Also, if you're looking for a good deal, the Master of the Mountain programs are the best value for instruction at the mountain. 2 days of instruction, video analysis, free beer and wine, breakfast and lunch both days for $185 for passholders. For non passholders, it's $240, which may be an even better deal.
Thanks for the tips Matt!  (esp. the lead on free beer)

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I second the comment on master the mountain for adults. Excellent value for intermediates and above. It's almost 100% adults, so kids may not feel at home. MTM is more questionable for lower intermediates as the group peer pressure can be uncomfortable in some situations.

The holiday camps for kids/teens may also be worth looking at. My kids did them at Belleayre for a few years and they learned a lot, but they were a bit younger than yours when they attended.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Your girls need poles. Buy them and tell them to hold them while skiing.  They will figure out what to do.  And like matt said, inform the instructor that they are new to poles before their lesson.