classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: APA Hears about New Ways to Manage Ski Trails

MC2 5678F589
evergreen wrote
A great example is Gore: please tell me why it does not have an upphill policy?  Safety doesn't cut it, it is not dangerous to shuffle uphill at 2 miles an hour.  If the Mountain can construct kickers for teenagers to do flips on, the safety of ATing shouldnt even come up!  I for one am looking forward to the efforts of AFSA to obtain permission to cut more ski trails, but Id like to ask Mike Pratt to consider designating an AT route to the saddle instead of chainsawing another glade full of hits for the kids.  (Which actually looks like a really cool trail from what we saw last week.)
^Rabbit Pond Trail to Schaefer Trail will get you to Wood Out... That's pretty close to the saddle.

Agree that VT is kinda kicking New York's ass in this. What would be really nice is if the approaches to most of the ADK backcountry stuff weren't so long. But it also helps keep out the riff raff. I'm torn.

Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Thanks for that tip, where do I pick up the Rabbit Pond trail?  I'll definitely try this.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by evergreen
^ Yeah. Off 28 or from the Ski Bowl parking lot.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
What does quiet mean?
I think that is Sierra Clubber speak for nothing other than hikers.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by Harvey
http://upperhudsontrails.org/ we are new in North Creek. Think East Burke Vt. Methow Valley Wa.  Jackson NH. we can do it here. It's in the works public private partnerships are the key.
Ride Up Ski down On our local back=country courtesy the North Creek Business Alliance.  [donations accepted}
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
There are lots of nice places to ski in the BC which don't require a long trek in, even in the High Peaks area. Nice open hardwoods with a moderate slope that are not thick with undergrowth. Even a few slides with decent pitch and nice exposure. The trick is to explore in the summer and write down those places that look promising. If you have a good eye for pitch and terrain you will be rewarded. I like the upper Hudson trails web site, can't wait until I see meat.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Recent member update from the Adk Powder Skier Association.  Today is the final day to get your comments in to the APA and DEC.  You can submit a comment through the Adk Powder Skier Assoc website by clicking here.

Dear Members,
Through your support of the hard work of the Adirondack Powder Skier Association for the past 3 1/2 years we now have a Back Country Ski Trail Document which is out for Public Comment.
Following one year of meetings and field Trips involving a working group comprised of representatives from the APSA, DEC, APA, Attorney General's Office, ADK Mountain Club, ADK Council, ADK Wild, Protect The ADK, BETA/ADK Ski Touring Council, Senator Betty Little, Assemblyman Dan Stec, and Governor Andrew Cuomo's Office the APA Board of Commissioners were presented a document entitled Adirondack Forest Preserve Ski Touring Trail Development Guidance.
This Guidance Document includes Nordic Ski Trails, Back Country Ski Trails, and Skin Tracks. Although Open Woods Ski Routes are not included in this Document the APSA feels this is an important first step as we continue to meet with the working group to develop Guidance Standards for Open Woods Ski Routes.
The public comment period ends January 29, 2016. This is our time to make our collective voices heard!
Hurry, the comment period ends soon!

Together We Can Do This,
Thank You for supporting The APSA!
Ron Konowitz
President, Adirondack Powder Skier Association Inc.