classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
98 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ATTN: MR. MIKE PRATT

Harvey
Administrator
Matt - one other thing that really rings true about your post - and I said this to Mike on Saturday...

From a skier visit/revenue perspective: Casual skiers make the difference between an average season and a great one. But the dedicated hardcore (us) are the difference between a bad season and a disaster.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Without Rumor and Darkside, these people will go somewhere else (WHITEFACE Killington, Jay Peak, Tuckerman Ravine, WHITEFACE, etc.).  
fixed it for you bro.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Wow! We made it a whole 22 posts before a Whiteface Guy came in and talked about Whiteface. Must be some kind of record...

"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
...Of course, you could argue that these people have season passes, so they're not losing too much money, but I have a season pass and I buy lunch every day, have a few drinks at the bar, and generally try to contribute to the collegial attitude at the mountain. Will the lack of Rumor and Steilhang make me ski somewhere else?  Probably not.  But I know a lot of people who drive further than me who won't merrily make the drive to the mountain this spring because Lies and Hawkeye are open.

I just feel like Rumor and Darkside represent a lot to "the base" (to use a political analogy): the ones you see every weekend (or weekday if you guys do that), the real evangelists, the ones who fight for Gore and sing its praises everywhere they go (or sometimes don't tell anyone because they want it all for themselves).

They don't have to open Rumor. It just seems like it would be a nice giveback to the people who have been there for the whole year - respecting the decisions, praising the snowmaking, and generally keeping the mountain afloat through the tough times.
It would be nice to see the mountain do more for "the base". Cheap coffee is cool (not that I'm going to carry that mug), but the general feeling is that the mountain doesn't really listen to said "base" and could often care less once they've gotten their pass $ in early.

Awesome post BTW, Matt.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
talked to Mike today ,no snowmaking til saturday not enough consistent cold temps.said he would love to have darkside open " almost there".rumor too if it could happen natural .so thats how it is .
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
DARKSIDED wrote
Wow! We made it a whole 22 posts before a Whiteface Guy came in and talked about Whiteface. Must be some kind of record...
It needed to be said.  WF is at least 10 times better than Klownington even if you're too stubborn to admit it.  And the idea that people are deciding between Tuckerman and Gore is so freakin' silly.  The interwebz are funneh!

Gore is OK - better than most Vermont areas.  But that flat spot on Cloud has permanently crossed it off my list.  I have a season pass at Gore - I'll still never ski it.  Why would I ever drive 2 hours past WF to get to Gore?  Because of Rumor?  Hahahahahahah!  If all I want is short and steep I'll jump off my garage.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Noah John wrote
  But that flat spot on Cloud has permanently crossed it off my list.  
What is a talent like you doing on Cloud?
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
This post was updated on .
x10003q wrote
Noah John wrote
  But that flat spot on Cloud has permanently crossed it off my list.  
What is a talent like you doing on Cloud?
I dunno.  I haven't been there in over ten years and never really knew the mountain.  It always seemed like at least once every trip I'd end up on that.  Probably took a wrong turn.  Anyway, it always seemed silly to me.  Like I said, IMO Gore is better than nearly every mountain in Vermont.   The exceptions are  MRG, SB, Stowe and Jay.  Maybe Smuggs.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
The flat part on Cloud builds character, but some people don't need any more character building than they've already had!
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
It needed to be said.  WF is at least 10 times better than Klownington even if you're too stubborn to admit it.  And the idea that people are deciding between Tuckerman and Gore is so freakin' silly.  The interwebz are funneh!

Gore is OK - better than most Vermont areas.  But that flat spot on Cloud has permanently crossed it off my list.  I have a season pass at Gore - I'll still never ski it.  Why would I ever drive 2 hours past WF to get to Gore?  Because of Rumor?  Hahahahahahah!  If all I want is short and steep I'll jump off my garage.
That's Larry!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
gebbyfish wrote
The flat part on Cloud builds character......
Is that why some keep returning to Cloud ! A quest for character while they are lost ?

Noah John wrote
 It always seemed like at least once every trip I'd end up on that.  Probably took a wrong turn.
Don't know what the big deal is......

unless you are too slow to make it all the way and repeatedly find yourself stuck there.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
there are other options other than cloud to get off the top now . alot has changed in 10 yrs
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
talked to Mike today ,no snowmaking til saturday not enough consistent cold temps.said he would love to have darkside open " almost there".rumor too if it could happen natural .so thats how it is .
Too bad, but I'm not surprised.  On Sat I was told (not Mike) that a push would be made to open Rumor for Pres week and DS was in play too.  Sounds like the chance of that happening is evaporating.  Bummer.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
there are other options other than cloud to get off the top now . alot has changed in 10 yrs
Are you trying to encourage this assclown to go to Gore?
Less is More.
More Gore?

Then again, I would like to see him ski. He sounds like an expert. In that case, I can tell him "I can't believe you're Noah Jong, I'm so much better than you!" and get copious amounts of GNAR points.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
fujative wrote
Then again, I would like to see him ski. He sounds like an expert. In that case, I can tell him "I can't believe you're Noah Jong, I'm so much better than you!" and get copious amounts of GNAR points.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm not going to get into a Whiteface vs. Gore thread, but that $hit was funny . . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Easy children!  I never said anything bad about Gore.  If you lived 30 minutes from WF, how often would you drive past it for another hour and a half to get to Gore?  
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
you're right noah, i live 30 min from gore rarely drive to wf
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Noah John wrote
<  Like I said, IMO Gore is better than nearly every mountain in Vermont.   The exceptions are  MRG, SB, Stowe and Jay.  Maybe Smuggs.
Nearly every and you rattle off 1/3 of VT. Looks like the same list that trump WF

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by tBatt
fujative wrote
minus 50 points for lack of creativity....  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
DARKSIDED wrote
whoa, whoa whoa...  I was just pointing out that Whiteface was an excellent option for Gore pass holders.  I mean why list all them VT mountains when you can ski for free at the beast up the road.....

Man you guys are sensitive...
I ride with Crazy Horse!