50 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Abolish Fathers Day

Jamesdeluxe
JasonWx wrote
she pays the credit card bill anyway.
No, this ^^ is the hot setup, although the corollary to that (she makes all of the major decisions) wouldn't play well in Deluxeland.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
You guys have separate checking accounts and money?

I WRITE THE CHECKS, but we are both PAYING.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote

Yes. I like it that way.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
campgottagopee wrote
Harvey wrote

Yes. I like it that way.
I could see if people came into a relationship established, with their own money/assets, keeping separate accounts would make sense.  My wife and I have been together for almost 35 years and everything we have we built together from nothing.  Do I make more money than her?  Sure.  Could I have made that money and have the life I do without her?  No way.  We earned everything we have together so separate accounts for us never seemed to make sense.

As to Hallmark holidays....yeah, we are largely being manipulated but I’m ok with it.  We don’t do it big, like others if we want something we get it anyways.  That said, it’s nice to have a day to have a little extra attention thrown your way, maybe make a point of doing something together in this busy world where that doesn’t happen as much as it should/could.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I fully support Brownskis message here.

My kid was with her Mom this weekend and yesterday I took 3 young guys from my crew on a bad ass adventure hike. Hallmark holidays don’t really mean much to me and I don’t like being manipulated by them but while swiping through Instagram last night I felt guilty for not being involved. That sucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I got married pretty late in life (44), wife was 32, first (last!) for both of us.

I originally suggested separate money because I thought it would be more advantageous for her. (It would take a lot of explaining for you guys to believe that, just take my word for it.)

She was all in, but then changed her mind at the last minute. For some reason she really cared about not having checks with both our names on it.

I write all the checks an IMO it's way less work.

She's got a pretty sweet deal if you only look at the money.  Her retirement savings and spending money exceed her paycheck.  

Picking a wife you can get along with long term (especially if you have kids) is the most important financial decision you make. Divorce is a killer.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Father's Day is another opportunity to wimpize Dad and keep him outta the woods.I still cooked dinner.  We don't buy each other stuff.  I don't need anything except another few pairs of skis anyway, LOL.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
JasonWx wrote
she pays the credit card bill anyway.
No, this ^^ is the hot setup, although the corollary to that (she makes all of the major decisions) wouldn't play well in Deluxeland.
LOL

If it wasn't for my wife I would be living in a basement apartment and cooking on hotplate..

Yep she makes significantly more money then me , in our 30yrs together it has never been a issue..All the money goes into one pot..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Brownski, the wives and kids with the middle aged chumps lined up at the golf store yesterday in 90+ degree heat would agree with you.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Thanks for all the support guys. We’ll find out who’s serious in February I guess
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Fathers Day is so offensive!

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
"She's my daughter / I'm her paw / You ain't nuthin' / But a son-in-law"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
The key is not getting a Golf club for Fathers Day
It’s getting to go golf whenever you want to
I bring home the dough and do my fair share of work around the house.  We have been married a long time and have Different roles are play in the division of what needs to get done

I don’t get people that say they don’t have time in their lives to do whatever activity that makes them happy.  Make time for it and do it.  For me that is golf and skiing.  There are plenty of other things that interest me like learning to fly fish but I’m type A and can’t do things half way or half asses so I realize it don’t have time for other distractions.  Maybe in retirement I’ll get around to fly fishing.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I take it all back.. sniff
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
man you guys are sticks in the mud, I love a day scheduled for family! I get a day off to hang and drink beer, we usually do a family bike, hike or paddle.

This year the wife and I went for a paddle then hung by the pool with the kids. I love food -  this year junior smoked a brisket. Hell I even have a cheesy fathers day T-shirt I've worn once a year for 15'ish years. Sure I can go out and buy whatever I want but when the kids "give" it to me it has sentimental significance as well.

This year I'm celebrating the 20th anniversary of my trusty GT Agressor mountain bike the kids got me for fathers day, still rolling as the neighborhood cruiser / grocery getter

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
I take it all back.. sniff
Excellent hat.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
I love having family days, I just don’t like having hallmark tell me what days I should be having them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
raisingarizona wrote
I love having family days, I just don’t like having hallmark tell me what days I should be having them.
That’s how I feel. Thanks MC. One thing I can say about my wife- she knows where to find the cool hats and t shirts
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
My Dad is dead and I have no kids so I have no skin in this game..
But why not have days to honor people?  Happens all over the world.

Oh and. GET OFF MY LAWN!!!...
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
Why? I feel they are made to just get you to shop. Wally World loves all these days just makes them richer and you poorer. Only special day I enjoy is Thanksgiving, family and food. I’ll take that any day over a tie I will never wear or that shirt that’s just ugly. So imho they are made up to get you to consume , kinda a stimulus package in a way for the government threw taxes and big corporations. Don’t get me started on Christmas baa!