Accommodations in Lake Placid

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Accommodations in Lake Placid

Goreskimom
Does anyone know if I will be able to get accommodations in Lake Placid for two nights of MLK weekend and if so where do you recommend staying?  Looking for something that can sleep five people and is on the reasonable side. I would love it if it had a small kitchenette too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Accommodations in Lake Placid

Powderqueen
My friends have a house they rent. It isn't fancy, but it sleeps 10+. It is right across from the ski jumps about a mile from the village. It has a decent kitchen. It is very affordable. Contact me if you want more info.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Thanks, I was hoping to switch gears and stay at an inn or hotel but I will keep this in mind.
Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
Last year, I stayed at the Lakeview Inn. It is a part of the High Peaks Resort, but it is an older section and more economical. My room overlooked Mirror Lake with a small balcony. The room was huge, quiet, clean, and comfortable.  I had a special rate that probably isn't available on MLK weekend, but I only paid $70-80 per night. It's right on Saranac, walking distance to everything. Shuttle to Whiteface.  This place is more like an old Holiday Inn than a rustic grand hotel. No pine walls or log furniture. Just a comfy bed, a coffee maker, dorm fridge and microwave. If that suits your style, try it.

My second choice is the Crown Plaza at the other end of town.

If you have money, you can't beat the Mirror lake Inn for rustic charm. It's three times the price of Lakeview.  I don't like to spend that much just to sleep. When I come back to the room after skiing, I want a shower and a vodka, some dinner and I crash. I leave the partying to the young.
If you are having fun, you are doing it right.
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
The Crowne Plaza has some nice suites in the Adirondack wing that can sleep 5 if you add a rollaway. Our family of four has stayed there a few times.  There's a restaurant, pool and hot tub, and its walking distance to main street. It's also a stop on the Whiteface bus route.  The Marriott also has some nice suites - its outside of town, but less expensive.

Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by Goreskimom
Start searching on-line  or calling now. You'll find that a lot of the rooms are already taken. MLK is a very popular weekend in Lake Placid.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
I liked the Best Western right in town..it's no 5-star hotel, but it was clean and the staff was friendly. And the location was great; it's directly across the street from the Olympic Center where the shuttle leaves for the mountain!
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In the past, I've stayed at Wildwood on the Lake.

One place I would be careful of is Schulte's.    A couple times I've made reservations there, clearly informing them that we'd be arriving around midnite [sic].  Although they agreed to leave a key under the appropriate doormat, there was no key.  Fortunately things worked out in those instances.

The rooms at Schulte's are nice, the people are nice, but maybe best to arrive there during the day rather than wicked late.

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Check out the pines inn.  Its one of the oldest inns in town.   The owners have gone through most of the place over the past 7 years.  Big hot tub in the basement.  Great sitting room with a large fire place.  TV next to the fire place with kids games on it. They have two bedroom rooms and the owners are really cool.  

Art Devlins place is another place I would look into.  They are constantly doing work and it has a really cool olympic memorial.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Pines Inn is a good call.  Very reasonable and a fun place.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Whiteface Lodge is not cheap, but if you split it 5 ways (you could easily fit 5 people in a room they are huge and have kitchens) and that would be a memorable trip.