Adirondack Arc

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Adirondack Arc

ScottyJack
JOHNSBURG -- Firefighters and public works crews in the hamlets of North River and Bakers Mills are dealing with flooding issues along several roads. Water was reportedly across the road near Rogers Road, and Warren County marine rescue teams were being called to numerous homes in the town of Johnsburg to help evacuate homes.  Issues are being reported on Barton Mines Road, Route 28 and Edwards Hill Road.

Warren County Director of Emergency Services Brian LaFlure said no injuries were reported as of 8:30 a.m., but several homes had been isolated by flood waters. Air boats were being brought to the area in case they were needed for rescues. Heavy rains overnight have pushed a number of streams to near flood stage, and northern parts of the area have received more rain than the south.  Areas downhill of the hills and mountains of Johnsburg seem to be most affected. Winds have brought down tree limbs and power lines in parts of the area as well.

A flood watch is in effect for the entire region until 6 p.m. Friday. The Post-Star has a staff member en route to the area. More details will be posted when they become available.

On a positive note the ISGS declared the drought over for the Adirondacks.  The year long drought began in mid June 2012.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Adirondack Arc

campgottagopee
Just saw that on FB----Edwards Hill Rd is where my cuz camp is, Barton Mine Rd is where my uncle camp is
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
There's a Gore joke in there somewhere.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Yeah real funny when people's homes and properties are ruined...
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Awful news.

Is that area prone to flooding or have you had record rain this summer so far? We were under flood watch last night in the metro area but as far as I can tell we stayed dry enough. Best of luck to those affected.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
Yeah real funny when people's homes and properties are ruined...

Internet ski forums:  The last refuge of the insufferably sanctimonious.

Chill out dude.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Is that area prone to flooding or have you had record rain this summer so far? We were under flood watch last night in the metro area but as far as I can tell we stayed dry enough. Best of luck to those affected.
we are gonna break the record for rainfall in June w/ this storm.  it was also very wet in May

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
http://www.denpubs.com/Roads closed

#•Back to Sodom Rd – Peaceful Valley Rd to Oven Mountain Rd

#•Big Hollow Rd – off Igerna Rd flooding

#•Cooper Hill Rd off Peaceful Valley Rd

#•Beach Rd off 13th Lake Rd

#•Beartown Rd – washout on GF Mountain Rd – Luzerne

#•Bird Pond Rd in Chester between 562 – 664 water across road and shoulders washing out Update @ 0852 - Bird Pond Rd t/Chester – closed to all traffic between Igerna Rd and Owens Rd due to flooding

#•Update @ 0939 - Culvert out on Glen Creek Rd ¼ mile in from South Johnsburg Rd. The rest of Glen Creek Rd is accessible from Rt 28.

#Other roads affected

#•Ski Bowl Rd near land fill – washed down to Rt 28

#•Barton’s Mine Rd near Rogers Rd – Culvert washed out

#•Barton’s Mines Rd near Hayes Rd – water over road – homes endanger of flooding

#•Rt 8 2 miles West of Bakers Mills – water across rd.

#•Rt 28N @ Byrnes Rd – trees and lines down – Nat Grid notified

#•Pilot Knob Rd near 1502 for trees and lines down

#•Rogers road – bridge out
news/2013/jun/28/state-emergency-declared-johnsburg-flooding-closes/
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
HOLY CRAP ^^^^^^

Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Here is a midday update, http://poststar.com/news/local/water-rising-covering-roads-cutting-off-families-in-northern-warren/article_d0598114-dfea-11e2-8edc-001a4bcf887a.html.

Many of the Gore work roads were also washed out and will need to be fixed as well.
It is a mess in many areas.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
All the best to the peeps of Johnsburg.

Hey Aussie, how's the Ausable doing? You and yours dry?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Gov Cuomo declared some upstate counties disaster areas.

New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo on Friday issued a disaster declaration for Broome, Chenango, Clinton, Delaware, Essex, Franklin, Herkimer, Madison, Montgomery, Oneida, Otsego, Tioga, Schoharie, St. Lawrence and Warren counties that have been hit by severe storms and flooding.

Link

Best wishes to those who were hit by the flooding.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From Mike Pratt this am:

"Off to see how much damage caused by flood. Lots of asphalt, culvert, and a bridge in Johnsburg. North River took it hard too, mostly asphalt wash out."

For those who don't know Johnsburg is a "township" (for lack of a better word) made up of North Creek, North River, Bakers Mills, Garnet Lake, Wevertown,  Riparius, Sodom and the hamlet of Johnsburg. Plus a bunch of wilderness, wild forest and Gore.

Johnsburg really sticks together especially in tough times like these. These peeps define the word "neighbors" for me.  They are constantly finding ways to give to each other and the community.

North River Fire Department
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by Harvey
Got 3.5" and roads and part of 9N were closed along the east branch yesterday from Etown to the Forks.  The Jersey Bridge section of the Forks was pretty bad again yesterday as expected.  I have not been out today yet.

People are saying that with the new slides the rain seems to get from the High Peaks to the East Branch faster than in the past.  Not sure it that is true or not but it seems to make sense.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Damn. Good luck. Looks like Vermont from a few years ago.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
The Arc has turned south----this house is on the way down the hill I live on----glad I'm up higher

Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
#•Pilot Knob Rd near 1502 for trees and lines down
Shit, I was supposed to be staying at my uncles place North of there. Last minute I decided to stay at my buddies house that's maybe 1/2 mile South. Would've been a bit tricky getting to work being on the wrong side of the dead end.

I guess on the plus side of things, Saturday was the best day I've ever had on the Gorge.
Here, we see Ace grabbing onto anything possible (Syd) to attempt to stay in the boat. and MC2's head barely sticking out of the water.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
tBatt wrote
Shit, I was supposed to be staying at my uncles place North of there. Last minute I decided to stay at my buddies house that's maybe 1/2 mile South. Would've been a bit tricky getting to work being on the wrong side of the dead end.

I guess on the plus side of things, Saturday was the best day I've ever had on the Gorge.
Here, we see Ace grabbing onto anything possible (Syd) to attempt to stay in the boat. and MC2's head barely sticking out of the water.
You working the river this summer - if so, what outfit?
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
T
Great Pic...how many went swimming after you shot it?
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by tBatt
LOL hopin that's goPro. I'd want my guide guidin' in heavy seas!