Adult tele bindings on junior skis

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Adult tele bindings on junior skis

Marcski
Will that be an issue? I have some Vices and have my eye on some all mountain skis in the mid-130s in length.  Will I have an issue trying to mount them due to the depth or thickness of the ski being I assume less than an adult ski?  If I have to use shorter screws will they still be strong enough to hold the binding to the ski? The skis I have my eye on are a wood core ski.  Does anyone have any first hand beta or experience?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Adult tele bindings on junior skis

Harvey
Administrator
Marcski... are these 130s for you?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
No, no, no! They are for my baby....my 9.5 yo girl.  I'm all NTN these days, Harv.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
So no help from all of you tele guys out here in NYSkiblog land??

Of course, the answer depends on who you ask.

I called up Line and they said, "Oh no, we don't recommend or advise mounting an adult binding on a junior ski."

Then I called 22 designs and they said, "Just measure and if need be, file down the screws to make sure that they don't go too deep into the ski."  

I saw a couple of womens skis in the upper 130's low 140's.  I may go that route now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
My 11-year old son skis tele on a pair of kids' Elans, they're mounted up with Rottefella Chilis.  No problem with the screw depth.  I think the skis are maybe 150cm, I'll check when I get home.  I think the advice 22 designs gave is sound.  Obviously it's the ski thickness and screw length that are the issues, the fact that it's a junior ski and an "adult" tele binding is irrelevant.  I don't think there is such a thing as a "junior" tele binding.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by Marcski
I think the question here is can you find a binding that adjusts to fit a 9 year olds boot size. I agree about screw size, use whatever they would use to mount an alpine binding to that ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
The skis are Elan Predators, 138cm.  It's not a thick ski.  The Chilis are mounted with a riser plate.  Couldn't get a good photo, but if it would help let me know and I'll try again.  I'm gonna guess the ski is approx 1/2 inch thick, and the risers another 1/2 inch tops.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Thanks. I'm looking at a 133 or a 138 also. Most likely something very similar to what your son is on. I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Marcski
Yeah, I'd just listen to 22 Designs. They seem to know what they're talking about.

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
My youngest son started Tele-ing when he was 6, after a visit to MRG.  He stuck with it until he was 13, when he locked his heels again... Anyways, I mounted lots of bindings on lots of skis over the years..   Pretty simple. Pay attention to the screw length and the thickness of the binding, plate /riser, and the ski.  File or grind off the  screws as necessary.  Easy peasy.

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny
To the OP,

Boot sole thickness matters.

A few years ago, kids' Tele boots had thinner soles than adult boots. A sloppy interface will be buzz kill for your daughter. I would check that out before mounting. I used Voile Mountaineers on my daughter's skis when she skied the teledactyl/telesaurus.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Benny wrote
To the OP,

Boot sole thickness matters.

A few years ago, kids' Tele boots had thinner soles than adult boots. A sloppy interface will be buzz kill for your daughter. I would check that out before mounting. I used Voile Mountaineers on my daughter's skis when she skied the teledactyl/telesaurus.
TY.  I should have mentioned that she is now in a woman's T2 in a 23, the smallest adult size. So, the boot toe/ binding interface should not be an issue. Hopefully ordering something today. Work and other life stuff got in the way yesterday.