classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Advice for Ski Areas

ml242
Hello Ski Area Managers,

We hope that you find the following information and facts helpful.

You might be surprised to know that it is not required to have natural snow in order to ski. We were too! But skiiing in the northeast is not without some such weather "challenges".

As such, please be advised that we think that your area should consider more ample 'snowmaking' capabilities.Snowmaking is a technology that employs compressed air and water to manufacture a fake, but slidable, snow surface. You might hear some chatter about 'low-e' guns, that use less energy to manufacture this surface.

Although Low-e guns work quite well at low temps (and SAVE you more money the more you blow, amirite), perhaps you could also purchase fan guns or better compressors when temps are marginal. Furthermore, if you have faster lifts we would be able to get to the top faster. Please look into that as well. And if the lift should be at all exposed, it would not bother us to have heaters installed, or possibly a bubble to counteract the lack of sunshine on grey or potentially snowy days.

We hope that you find this well intentioned advice helpful and look forward to seeing 100% coverage at your area by 12/25/16.

Yours truly,

Armchair GM's of the Greater Tristate.

p.s. You're welcome.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Advice for Ski Areas

pro2860
ML that was so thoughtful!
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
Ahhh, Thats right because as a season pass holder Im not dared allowed to make observations of their current status for fear ML will think Im an armchair GM. Im fully aware of the limitations that Belleayre has experienced under the former budgetary restraints of the DEC and the State.

But heres what I wrote:
"Trail count is still low, but whats open is well covered. In a year like this it really shows Belleayres weakness with snow making capacity. They normally do a very nice job getting things open but either the lack of Cold and the Lack of moisture when it is has really shown how low their capacity is.

In the development plans they show building a new main compressor site where the Tiger Den house is currently located. Hopefully that with a combined with more Low-E tower guns mounted permanently on trails will help them get through years like this."

You'll notice its mostly just observations, not being negative, in fact I think I complimented them in regards with what they do in normal years with so little. And dare I optimistically hope (notice the word: Hopefully, not "They should", "they better", "they ought to") the plans for a new compressor station are realized.

And certainly I hope that they install more Low-E guns, because you know whats better than just a new compressor station, a more efficient snow making capacity on to of it. Because right now I would take more trails covered in Low-E guns so that they could more rapidly lay down a base on closed trails and then allow mother nature, with what little help it has provided, to cover them with 3-5in of snow that we got in the last few days.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
evantful wrote
Ahhh, Thats right because as a season pass holder Im not dared allowed to make observations of their current status for fear ML will think Im an armchair GM. Im fully aware of the limitations that Belleayre has experienced under the former budgetary restraints of the DEC and the State.
Hey. This post was 100% a joke and not about you/Belleayre in any way, just about comments in general that happen on ski forums. My apologies.

And yes, Belleayre should fix their disgrace of a snowmaking situation.

(that was another joke, sorry, I had to)
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by ml242
Man, I don't know why nobody else on the forum is advocating for more snowmaking, more High Speed quads and heated seats on the lifts.

I'm shocked that it takes someone like ml to bring these ideas to the forefront, but I guess if nobody else is going to say it, I'm glad he's here to do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
mattchuck2 wrote
Man, I don't know why nobody else on the forum is advocating for more snowmaking, more High Speed quads and heated seats on the lifts.

I'm shocked that it takes someone like ml to bring these ideas to the forefront, but I guess if nobody else is going to say it, I'm glad he's here to do it.

I just did a little math and it turns out the 6 packs have quite a bit more uphill capacity than a quad. By why should we stop there? People already have 6 packs. What a visionary resort should do is create a 7 pack lift. 7 is one more than 6, hence even more capacity. Capiche!?!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
HAHAHAHAH

Step into my office.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
mattchuck2 wrote

I just did a little math and it turns out the 6 packs have quite a bit more uphill capacity than a quad. By why should we stop there? People already have 6 packs. What a visionary resort should do is create a 7 pack lift. 7 is one more than 6, hence even more capacity. Capiche!?!
6-packs can handle up to 3,600 pph with a 6 second load interval.  Any load interval smaller than that is impossible for most skiers to handle.  There are a few HSQ's with 3,000 pph, but you get a really short 4.8 second load interval which isn't really practical.  Most are 2,400 with some that can do 2,800.  
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona

Is a rotating tram with a topless bar really too much to ask for?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I'd gladly receive, a la Squirrel, in that!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!