Advice for new boater

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
57 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Advice for new boater

lolkl
I grew up ( kinda ) on Schroon Lake. Although it has it's moments, it is a relatively calm lake. The boat ramps at either end of the lake are always in good shape. You can leave your boat safely at the docks and walk into town for whatever you need. Pitkins is nice but Flannagans also has good food. If you go to the Northern end of the lake where the river dumps in there are some nice public beaches to hang out at as well as a marina. A fun lake to explore without getting lost.
As the year winds down you will need to Winterize your boat. For the first year, you may want to bring it to a pro. Ask them to show you how to change out your lower end gear lube. It becomes contaminated with water and could freeze. It's not hard to deal with after you see it done once. They make anti freeze that you can circulate into your bilge pump or live well if you have one.
Unless you're exploring the Boundry Waters in Canada I don't think you need too much in the way of charts. A decent road map will work. But the fish finder is very useful. Not for finding fish ( that's too much for me to type about ) but for knowing how much water you're in. Know where your prop is.
When trailering your boat, back the trailer in so that the water is at the top of your tires. The trailer depth is key to easy trailering. It took me years to figure this out with my old boat. It's better to get your feet wet than to shear your prop off trying to do it the hard way and gunning it at the ramp.
Get a spare plug for the boat. I got some fishing line wrapped around mine once and it came out. The wife started to panic but then she remembered the extra plug. But, should you ever get in that situation, go as fast as you can back to port. The speed will help drain the boat out. Don't just try to float it out or go slow.
Have fun!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
 Cool thread.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
I have a question. I want to check the air pressure of the tires on my boat trailer. Does the pressure change if the boat is on the trailer? Should I check and adjust the pressure when the trailer is empty or doesn't it matter? It seems like the pressure would increase with the weight of the boat but I'm not sure. It is beyond my scientific pondering.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Makes you wonder. You car's weight is on it's tires when you check them so it shouldn't matter.

Leaving a boat's plug out can be a real " AAAAAH! " moment that's for sure.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by lolkl
lolkl wrote
I have a question. I want to check the air pressure of the tires on my boat trailer. Does the pressure change if the boat is on the trailer? Should I check and adjust the pressure when the trailer is empty or doesn't it matter? It seems like the pressure would increase with the weight of the boat but I'm not sure. It is beyond my scientific pondering.

Depends on whether or not your checking it with the summer air in, or after you've rotated the air to winter air.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
On LG today and will be all weekend.

Was docked at an undisclosed island. Quiet, still water, no wind despite a very windy and pretty rough main lake. Map skills rule ML. Hint.....Intelligence pays off very well.  

A downstate family is camping there all weekend as they've been doing forever. Though he's been there many, many times, the Grandpapa couldn't stop raving about the beauty of the lake and it's near unrivaled water quality.

I love this guy. His unbridled  passion rules.

" Look at that ! " as he pointed at the water. " Where can you find water as clear as that ? Huh ? Beautiful ! "

In his broken English and with a huge smile, he finished with  " Great water up here....so much. Genius preserving all this. Genius. Just genius !".

He's right. Thank God for the ADK park and LG !

Don't miss it!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In case y'all are unconvinced Lake George is very uniquely special. No hype, no BS, just all out special. Many, many miles would have to be traveled before you came even sorta close,,,,,,,yet so sorely missed. It IS all that and then some.

Today, the main lake was all out rough. No BS. Yea Matt it happens. We're talking rough. Caution and smarts rules and map skills yield results in outstanding days in these adverse conditions. It pays to be smart. Dumb asses lose. C'est la vie.

Those in paddle boats.... always stay close to shore on LG.

WOOOO HOOOOO LG! It 's literally titties and beer ! Sliced bread, buttered popcorn ! I friggin love it !!!

If you only knew the fun I have there !!!!

LG.....Don't miss it !!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
What he said !!!  ^^^     

I'm telling ya......don't miss it bitches !!!! WOOO HOOO !!!  
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
i'll stick with my hornbeck on adk ponds and creeks. coach, it sounds like you better make out a will.skiing on man made hardpack on a holiday sounds safer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
How's it going Skipper?  Pics?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Well the learning drive and back up the trailer which was literally giving me nightmares has gotten a lot better after I practiced in a parking lot.

But now my motor don't start.  Waiting for a mechanic to look at it.  Might be the fuel pump.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
FWIW for all,,,,,Backing up 101....

Turn the bottom of your steering wheel in the direction you want the backend of the trailer to go.

Don't try to turn the trailer too much at once, unless you're good. BE CAREFUL not to jackknife the rig, major damage. Have your spotter check until you learn how to gauge it.

Don't be afraid to pull forward some to " straighten out " the trailer, then back up again.

As you're backing up be prepared to work the steering wheel to make adjustments in the angle.

Small trailers are harder to back up than longer ones.

Your spotter needs to learn two commands, Wom back and Whoa !

Spotter should be visible to driver, in mirror, etc on the inside of the turn.

Roll down your windows on both sides so you and the spotter can hear each other easily. Very important. Also helps you hear if you hit something.

Make sure everyone knows to stay clear, esp. the kids. People will/do try to cross behind or over the trailer's tongue as you slowly back up. Major no no.

Unplug the boat trailer's lights before backing into the water or the cold water will pop the light bulbs when you hit the brakes, even waterproof lights sometimes leak. Make sure to plug back in before hitting the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
But now my motor don't start.  Waiting for a mechanic to look at it.  Might be the fuel pump.
Cha-Ching.
That sucking sound you here is coming from the fiberglass brick in the driveway.

Pretty soon NYSEF will look cheap.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
PeeTex wrote
Coach Z wrote
Cha-Ching.
That sucking sound you here is coming from the fiberglass brick in the driveway.

Pretty soon NYSEF will look cheap.
Bail
Out
Another
Thousand
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
My boat always starts.  The motor dies when I do...
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Snowballs
So tell me why you know so much about boating when you own a dock with a motor on it?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
I know everything.