Advice for next pair of skis

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
55 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Advice for next pair of skis

JTG4eva!
Last year when I was looking for a wider ski that I could throw some AT bindings on (I went with the  Nordica El Capo, which I used at Tucks in May, and loved) I considered the Cham 107s.  Didn't demo, so all I know is what I found from extensive research of reviews.  Kind of a unique ski, with its combination of shaped tips/tails, camber profile, and flex (soft tips, stiff tails).  One consistent observation was that they chattered a bit/lacked stability in firmer conditions.  In variable/crud/powder they performed well once you got used to their somewhat unique flex and balance, which isn't surprising given they are a freeride type of ski.  I wonder if the 87 was an attempt to bring the Cham series to a wider audience, and an 87 would probably ski differently than a 107, but many of the characteristics of the line will probably hold true.  So, based on my research....Coach's observations seem valid.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Thanks JTG (and Coach).  I'll update this thread with where I end up with hopefully some lessons learned for the next person in a similar situation as me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
I went through the same thing a few years ago when I got an entire new set up (boots and skis). Your best bet is to try and hit a demo day as Coach suggested. Demo days are free (usually) and you can try out as many skis as you can get your hands on. They usually finish up by 2pm or so though so make sure you get there early.

I demo'd the cham 97 a few seasons ago at a gore demo day and I couldn't get off of it soon enough. I didn't like the dynamics of the big shovel at all. I kept feeling like I was getting pushed into the backseat. I also felt that way on some rtm 84s I skied 3-4 years ago. Not as much as the chams, but still had that feeling. I think the rictors are probably something closer to what you would be looking for. For an alpine east coast skier I would shoot for a ski with a width around 78ish-84ish with tip rocker, camber and some metal. There are lots of all mountain options out there. The rtm 80 or rtm 84 would def be on my list to try.

Make sure you take some notes on each ski after you ride it so you remember what you liked/didn't like.  

IMO good fitting boots are as important as new sticks. Good luck!
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
i enjoy the demo days at gore but i find that the selection is very limited in both size and models. western demo days are a different story with a large selection. any ideas why eastrn demo days are so limited? usually, it's a small bunch of front side carvers. IMHO, the better skiers are always looking to increase their quivers and demoing them gives them an excuse to buy. front side carver guy is generally not as adventurous, skis less days, and is happy carving the same skis for years. please ignore the generalizations if it bothers you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
frk wrote
i enjoy the demo days at gore but i find that the selection is very limited in both size and models. western demo days are a different story with a large selection. any ideas why eastrn demo days are so limited? usually, it's a small bunch of front side carvers. IMHO, the better skiers are always looking to increase their quivers and demoing them gives them an excuse to buy. front side carver guy is generally not as adventurous, skis less days, and is happy carving the same skis for years. please ignore the generalizations if it bothers you.
I thought the goldstocks one two years ago was really good. 9-10 manufacturers with at least 5-6 models each. I haven't been to the earlier one (sports page maybe)? I thought there was a decent mix of skis. There certainly is a slant towards "all mountain" skis but that isn't surprising on the east coast especially since early in the season you are most likely gonna be riding on groomers and hard pack. The only thing that sucked 2 years ago is that the old ADK express broke down and it was during x-mas/new years holiday.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Hey guys - just circling back on this.

I ended up getting year old (2014-15) Dynastar Powertrack 84, 169 cm.  I am very happy with them.  In addition to the price (around 260 on evo, then they honored a subsequent discount down to 216), they are pretty awesome.  Very stable, they turn well, they engage well.  I've skied these in icy conditions, crud, frozen granular, manmade powder, and spring conditions.  

Based on my experience with the ski, if someone else were in a similar position as I was, I think you can pick the type of ski based on the skiing you do (mixed in with a little bit of the skiing you want to do and are somewhat likely to do), and then it seems like there will be a range of good options.  (Yeah, I know you all probably knew that already).  

You can also save some money buying a year or two old model as long as you pay attention to what changed from the prior year you are looking at.  

Overall, I am extremely happy with the ski. Thanks again to everyone for their input.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I get it you saved some cash

IMO there are two things you really need to buy at a local specialty retailer bikes and skis.  If you need service and fitting that shop is there for you.  If you have a warranty issue you wil be shit out of luck with evo.  

Shop local
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Guys - I am back in the ski market.  I am an aggressive skier, strong technically but still improving.  I like bumps, including steep bumps, and like trees, but trees have been less than 5% of where I ski.  Will likely continue to ski 20-25 days a season for next few seasons.  

I have enjoyed the Powertrak 84's (169), but I sometimes feel like I am skiing 3/4 of a ski because of the very early rise, and am starting to feel the absence of metal (I think they have laminate) when skiing aggressively.  Admittedly, I have really enjoyed bumps on the Powertrak, but they are very highly tilted to shorter radius turns.  

Looking hard at the RTM 84 UVO (probably 172) and the Blizzard Quattro 8.4 (probably 174).  

I am approaching expert-level skiing and want something that can be skied more aggressively.  I want to maintain the ability to ski the bumps and jumping into the trees.  I ski bumps pretty much every day they are out there; I enjoy the trees but these past two weeks were the first time they were in play for me (home mountain is Belle; Gore and Whiteface will be occasional week-long trips or early or late season jaunts).

Z - I continue to shop locally for food through my CSA , and my local shop is much better now.  If I got the RTMs, very likely I would buy there because they have a good tune up deal for store-bought skis.

Please discuss. Feel free to make fun of each other.  But not me (no, of course you can make fun of me).
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Coach is selling a pair of used RTMs if they are still available. I didn't care for the RTM 84 I demoed 5 or so years ago but I might like it now. Its probably the most popular east coast all mountain ski out there. I felt like I kept getting knocked into the backseat. I also didn't care for the dynastar cham skis for the same reason. Ironically I won a pair of cham 87's last year. I mounted them up for my wife and she loves them.

I love my jskis masterblasters. They are a little wider at 96 under foot but they rip in everything except full on icy hardpack. You won't find them on sale but if you don't like them after 3 days you can send them back. You can buy your bindings at your local shop and they will likely mount for free. I like the fks/pivot 14.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by DomB
K2 Marksman!!!!!  Such a fun ski, and a perfect quiver of one.  As I told my son Sunday at Platty, I have purchased a fair amount of new skis in my lifetime, and through proper research each one has been better than the last.  Each new ski was fun, and added something to my repertoire.  However, until the Marksman I never had a ski that I just said WOW! , this ski is SO MUCH FUN!  Nor have I ever had a ski that has changed my experience on the hill so profoundly.

Fair warning.....Hi, my name is Chris, and I like fat skis.  This is not your father’s ski.  Well, unless Pep Fujas is you pop!  At 106 under foot this is not necessarily a high speed carver, although it’s plenty happy carving up groomers at the speeds I ski (i.e.  I’m no GS racer).  The asymmetrical sidecut is something relatively new (to the mainstream at least) but it’s NO gimmick.  While there is no metal, the Carbon Boost Braid found in K2’s freeride and factory team skis adds the pop and rebound you may be looking for.  Add in the all terrain rocker and this is a big mountain ski that will go anywhere and do anything, with enough camber under foot to keep you plenty happy carving the groomers.  Sean Pettit has been taking home big mountain trophies on these things since they’ve been out, and the Pep Fujas lineage means they can also keep a guy equally happy in the park or jibbing off natural features all around the mountain.  Another notable feature of these skis is the swing weight K2 achieves through their construction.  You can make these skis do just about anything you want, at any time.  Floats in powder, carves the groomers, light and nimble in the bumps and trees, and pretty forgiving if you make a mistake and need to recover.  What more could you ask for!

Ok, enough from me on this one, other than to say that anyone considering a new high end ski is doing themselves a disservice if they don’t give this one a hard look and a test drive.  My only regret is my pair is outfitted with my tech bindings, meaning I can’t really use them on typical in bounds east coast days.  Not the skis fault, the Dynafits just get finicky on hard pack and ice.  I’m seriously thinking of getting a second pair to put a pair of traditional alpine bindings on.....

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
The guy likes bumps and is looking at 84mm waisted skis with less rocker and metal, and you jump in and recommend a 106mm waised ski with big rocker and no metal?

Come on, man. Listen to what the guy wants.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I respectfully disagree.  The fact that he’s asking for advice obviously means he doesn’t really know what he wants.  Duh!

If you read what was being said, instead of what you want to read, you might be more open to expressing opinions/options to him, which he is ASKING FOR!  If all you ever recommend to someone is something they are already on, or something they think (but don’t know) they (might?) want....well, how the hell are they ever going to learn anything, of find something different they might very well enjoy?  I’m simply suggesting he take a look.  Guess what......every “106mm waisted ski with big rocker and no metal” might not be what it seems to a closed minded person such as yourself!

Yes, he’s “looking at” 84mm waisted skis......because that is what he is used to.  He didn’t say he was closed to other options.  As for the “big rocker”, the Marksman doesn’t have the tail rocker that the Powertrak 84 does, so it keeps more ski to snow.  Oh, and just maybe a little wider ski would also eliminate some of the “I’m only on 3/4 of a ski” feeling.  Here’s a tidbit that your level of reading comprehension might have caused you to miss....he seems to be looking for something with a LONGER turn radius, which the Marksman would provide.  Longer turn radius, on a more stable platform, constructed with a swing weight that keeps it nimble not just in the park, but also in the bumps and trees.  Darned if that doesn’t sound like something he’s looking for!  Another clue for you....in today’s day and age of advanced materials metal isn’t the only way to achieve a degree of stiffness and energy.  I can name a number of expert level skis over the years that have come in both metal and non-metal versions....with many expert testers preferring the non-metal.  Oh, and I’ll bet you I love bumps and trees more than he does (90% of my time when available) and I love the Marksman in the bumps and trees.

Fact of the matter is the Marksman doesn’t ski like your typical 106mm waisted ski with big rocker and no metal.  It’s a fairly unique and quite versatile ski.  Have you skied it?

No....ok then, why don’t you quit bitching about my suggestion and provide one of your own.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
As for the “big rocker”, the Marksman doesn’t have the tail rocker that the Powertrak 84 does, so it keeps more ski to snow.  
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

What do I recommend? How about the Blizzard Brahma? How about the Head Kore 93?

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔😬🤔🤔🤔🤔

Umm....that’s straight from K2.

SKI shows every ski with any rocker/camber/rocker construction the same, but of course they aren’t all built the same.

Ok, tell us the benefits of those skis, and how they address what he is looking for.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Okay, I just looked at a couple of shop websites, and I guess they were wrong on the tail rocker.

Still amazing that you'd recommend a ski that prefers long turns to a guy that likes bumps.

The two choices I made have good edge hold on groomers, good recommendations from friends, shorter turning radiuses for bumps, and some kind of stiffening agent in the ski (metal in the Brahma, or Graphene in the Head, which I enjoy on my Head Monsters).

Anyway, if someone tells you what they want, you should probably believe them, and not tell them that they *actually* want a 106mm waisted long turner that excels in powder.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Still amazing that you'd recommend a ski that prefers long turns to a guy that likes bumps.
Still amazing that you don’t seem to be paying any attention to what he said, that he wants a ski with a LONGER turning radius, one that is still nimble and agile in the bumps!  I told him about a ski he could check out that I’ve personally skied on and know checks both those boxes.  You are good at looking up words on other skis, maybe you should do the same regarding the Marksman!  It’s much more than just a longer radius ski that excels in powder.  Fuck, do you even know who Fujas and Pettit are?

The skis you suggested, based on words on paper and from your friends, are fine, although not much more than a wider, stiffer version of what he’s got now.  They are the very kind of ski I bought years ago, sans the rocker.  I guess you didn’t really notice....it hasn’t been very long and Dom is in the market again, obviously not currently satisfied with what his current skis can do for him.  Given that, recommending something other than a slightly evolved version of same didn’t seem so crazy to me!

Listen, I’m not “telling Dom what he wants”.  I’m simply a guy, who was him a bunch of years ago, giving some data points and observations on a ski I’ve ended up on that I really enjoy.  One I think might actually fit him if he tried it and finds he’s comfortable on a little wider ski.  Not everyone is, I know.  However, my input was well though out and valid, and putting the info out there didn’t cause harm to anyone....other than you, apparently.  So, why don’t you lower your leg there big dog!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
Fuck, do you even know who Fujas and Pettit are?
Wow, you don't know me at all.

Keep making dumb recommendations and extremely long posts to justify your dumb recommendations. You're doing great. More jump turns, and you can ski on anything!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Why is it you can follow me and pick a fight anywhere I go?  I’m really starting to worry about you, man!

Hey, I know you are no skiing dummy.....but when you go around saying Pep Fujas is out there designing purely powder skis...well, it seems your sense goes out the window just so you can give me shit!

Hey, you apparently like SKI mag, I think it might have been thems that just had a technique article on the.......jump turn!  (Insert middle finger emoji)
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Why haven't you mentioned that your favorite ski is asymmetric, meaning you have to tune it twice as much (cause you can't just switch skis when one set of edges gets dull). Don't you think that Dom might want to know that?

And I'm not picking on you. I'm just responding to posts I consider to be poor posts. If you feel attacked, maybe it's because you're making a lot of poor posts lately.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Ummm....I did, and I think if he decides to check them out he might be able to figure that out.  Talk about poor posts.....

Really, to anyone but you I come across like someone trying to share information I think could be useful (even if it isn’t), whereas you just come off like an asshole.