Advice for next pair of skis

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
55 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Advice for next pair of skis

DomB
Hey everyone, I am back looking for more advice.  

The long and short of it is I need some guidance on new skis, but my current skis are so far behind and my ski equipment knowledge base so shallow that I don't know what would be a good fit for me that I could also continue to grow into.  (I realize that anything I get will probably be light years beyond what I am using now; and I am taking care of getting a hopefully very good boot fitting by early season).  

In terms of skiing and use, I would characterize myself as a level 7 skier, comfortable on black terrain and beginning to do bumps and looking to get into the trees.  So, I'd like a ski that I could grow into.  I'm about 172-174 cm (5'8-5/9) and 200 lbs.  A Gore PSIA Level III instructor that I did a clinic with last year suggested something 80-88mm underfoot and in the 168-172cm range, and a low-end expert ski that I could grow into.  I'd like a ski that I could use on the frontside and in bumps and in the trees, though in the beginning I am sure the ratio would be 80-20 on that split.

I went to my local ski shop and talked to the buyer, and he pointed me to the Dynastar Powertrack 84.  I have read the reviews, and it seems like this could be a good ski for me to go to.  What do you guys think?  Any skis that are competitors to these skis that would fit the bill?  Any thoughts on where you can demo Dynastar's (my local shop hasn't put out a demo list yet and they may not make it on to it).  I am on Long Island (don't hold it against me).  Any info on Dynastar northeast demo days?  (And thanks in advance).

My game plan is to keep my very old skis (K2 Fours 160 cm that are 60-something under foot) for this season and do demo rentals, or rent skis for the season, then either buy used or new skis after the season.  Before the season starts, I am going to a highly recommended boot fitter near Hunter.  My home mountain for the next few years will be somewhere in the Poconos (Shawnee this year) due to kids' ages and a free place to stay overnight, but we'll be taking side trips, including a trip to Whiteface and Gore this year.  

PS - the clinic, and the instructor were great - very happy to recommend either.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Advice for next pair of skis

ml242
you could probably go into any shop right now and find a pair of last seasons that would be a big upgrade and inline with what you want. There are so many awesome skis out there, no one has time to try them all. I'd suggest something with some tip-rocker though. Maybe a cham 87 or dps cassiar 85 if you wanted to spend a little more coin, but that general shape. If you're taking lessons and really working to improve and getting a lot of days in, there's no reason you couldn't be on a longer ski next year anyway. YMMV.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by DomB
When I needed to upgrade a couple of years ago to match my progression to high intermediate, I picked up a pair of Head Rev 85 Pros -- 177 or 183 I think.  I'm 5'8" and they are just taller than me.  Good at speed, easy to turn, gripping edges.  I generally stick to groomed runs but they are good in crud.  Definitely upped my game.  Plus I liked the retro Soviet design elements.

ThAt being said, you could pick up a pair of used skiis circa 2012 or 2013 and then demo some high end stuff later in the season.  Any of the larger hills will have good demo inventory.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by ml242
Thanks, ML.  I see you're in the city.  I lived in Brooklyn for eight years until recently.

One follow up question - what's the difference between the Cham 87 and the Powertrack 84?  They look pretty similar.  Is the Cham made of better material, or have other advantages?  Thanks in advance.  Sounds like the Cham costs more?
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
looks like the powertrack has a rocker tail, so it won't lock in to the turn quite as much and ski looser. The cham is more traditional, with a huge shovel and tip rocker for turn initiation. I bet they ski pretty similarly in the end, neither have metal.

How about $200 shipped on last years?

http://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/dynastar-cham-87.aspx
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Thanks ML- very useful.  The price sounds really good.  What is the effect of metal in the ski (or absence)?

At least two more questions-1-what bindings would you recommend for these?  If I buy them separate, how do I get them mounted. (I could bring the skis and binding to the boot fitter).  I am assuming the cost of mounting would be under 50.  

Thanks again - I really appreciate your patience and sharing knowledge.  

Sounds like the Cham would be better.  Is 87 too wide for crusty days?  Guessing not with changes in tech but while I am asking, might as well not hold back!
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
http://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-packages/k2-amp-rictor-82xti-skis-mxc-12-bindings.aspx#image=78945/366447/clone.jpg

Here's another option, and it comes with bindings.  If you give evo the length of your boot sole they will mount them too.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
ML, Petronio, and Kman - thanks for the input. I am planning to go with the Chams that ML pointed me to with a Salomon STH2 13 binding in the 90 mm size (2015 on sale for 142).  

I'll let you know how it goes . . . .  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I used to be a Pro Rep for Dynastar and they are great for lighter skiers but not bigger guys.  They use lots of light weight materials in thier skis and I found they don't last long for a 200 lbs skier.

Agree with the width based on your description.

Try a Volkl RTM 84 UVO.  You want a ski with a metal and wood construction.  Buy this seasons version not last.  This years gas camber under foot while years does not.

http://www.skinet.com/ski/gear/volkl-rtm-84-2016

There is going to be a Demo day at Whiteface on Dec 5 that Volkl will be at.   I highly recommend trying before you buy especially since you are not familiar with the newer gear.  A 90 width for someone skiing on older skis is not likely to be your fav.  I will help there helping Volkl out and could take a run or two with you.

Once you get your new gear take a lesson to get the most out of it.

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Coach - thanks for the advice.  I am not sure what is the right call, but after reading your post, I cancelled my order.  And thanks for the offer of a few runs!

I know whatever I get will be a big step up, but I don't think I have the budget for the volki s this year (including in light of other ski expenditures).  I think I am going to try to demo, looking for something that has been out more than a season but the WF demo will probably be too much of a haul for me.  It looks like Hunter has a demo weekend on 12-12/13.  

Any suggestions on something sturdier than the Cham 87 that has been out?  Back to the Powertrack 84?  Other makes/brands?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Remember,  Z is a Vokl shill, last year he was shleping Elans.
Really, there are great skis from almost every manufacturer that ski well. Demos may help narrow it down but before you take the skis out, make sure they are tuned well, if they are not sharp, particularly in the tails, they may ski poorly causing you to pass up a ski you would really like.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Demos are like $50 a pop, those skis are $200 shipped.

Those RTM's have 0 camber, which I like personally but don't hold as well on ice unless your skiing is really good.

At your weight, some metal might be nice but I don't think it's a requirement, especially if there is camber. Also keep in mind that Coach is big and skis all the time, what he regards as 'long lasting' might not be true for you at 25 days a year. Most of my skis go 150+ days.

I am not here to sell skis, I have no connection to EVO, and have never heard that Dynastar's are noodles or don't last. I am not even necessarily a Dynastar fan, I just think that's the shape you want and a ski that would help you progress. It's pretty funny you cancelled based on one opinion, kind of as funny as buying based on one person's.

John Egan skis on them though, he's pretty good, and managed to move a lot of Cham's at the bush because of it.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
ml242 wrote
It's pretty funny you cancelled based on one opinion, kind of as funny as buying based on one person's.
Seriously, especially considering the person in question and, as PeeTex mentioned, his drastic shift from Elan shill to Volkl shill.

That being said, from my 1 run on them, I'd say the RTMs still hold on ice pretty well, and I have had some noodly experiences with the Dynastar/Rossignol family in the past.

I'd still say that Cham 87 Evo deal looks pretty good, and it's hard to go wrong with any high end ski from one of the bigger manufacturers these days. It's mostly like choosing between different car brands. People have opinions on the subtle differences, and some fit your style better, but they'll all get you where you need to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Remember,  Z is a Vokl shill, last year he was shleping Elans.
Really, there are great skis from almost every manufacturer that ski well. Demos may help narrow it down but before you take the skis out, make sure they are tuned well, if they are not sharp, particularly in the tails, they may ski poorly causing you to pass up a ski you would really like.
-Thanks for the tip
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
ml242 wrote
It's pretty funny you cancelled based on one opinion, kind of as funny as buying based on one person's.
Seriously, especially considering the person in question and, as PeeTex mentioned, his drastic shift from Elan shill to Volkl shill.

That being said, from my 1 run on them, I'd say the RTMs still hold on ice pretty well, and I have had some noodly experiences with the Dynastar/Rossignol family in the past.

I'd still say that Cham 87 Evo deal looks pretty good, and it's hard to go wrong with any high end ski from one of the bigger manufacturers these days. It's mostly like choosing between different car brands. People have opinions on the subtle differences, and some fit your style better, but they'll all get you where you need to go.
-Thanks ML and MC.  I do appreciate the info, and that you guys and others took the time to reply.  I moved toward buying because it seemed like anything I'd want to rent would cost the same (or more) than buying a good deal and because of the age of my current pair.  For better or worse, my sources of information at this point are from talking to people, posts here, and reading online.  Evo has a good return policy, so I am buying the skis.  I am going to plan to do Hunter's demo day (which won't have a direct cost and is in the same town as the boot fitter), and if I find I don't like the current version or something I think is better on a value basis, I can return what I am getting for $7 in shipping.  So, buying the Cham 87s with the return policy is effectively a $7 option at least until I do the demo day.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
The Demo day at WF on Dec 5 is free.  You just need to leave a drivers lisc as deposit.  I believe several other brands will also be available that day to try as well.  The gear will be from the factory reps van so it all will be well tuned that day.

This years Volkl RTM series does have camber.  Last years did not and personally I am not a fan of skis without camber underfoot for skiing in the East.

I disclosed my Volkl connection by saying I would be working the demo day.  There are other pro reps also on this forum.  I am very into ski gear and have worked at a ski retailer where I was a hard goods buyer besides being an instructor.  That said based on what Dom told us my take is that the RTM would be a better ski for him than a 87mm under foot Cham.  Dynastar's Mo has always been to make light weight skis.  That will lead to less edge hold particularly for a bigger guy as I think Matt pointed out.  Going from a older ski to that wide is going to be quite a difference.  The RTM84 is the groomed ski of the year for Ski Magazine and it suits his ability and weight.  I'd suggest a demo day so Dom could try many different skis from many different makers and make an informed decision.

I just did some research on the Cham 87.  It is what they call part of the freeride family for Dynastar.  It's meant to skied more off groomers than on it.  Dom's descripotion of what he wants is 80/20 of groomers.  These are questions that a local shop would ask and would not likely steer him into this ski.  

All the major ski makers all make excellent gear.  Some are better suited to different preferences and skier make ups.

My other comment would while an on line retailer seems like it will save you a few bucks its pays to establish a relationship with your local brick and mortar ski shop.  You need these mounted and serviced.  You may need some boot fitting.  Local staff will have skied on the gear at a demo day and will be trained by the mfr they sell.  If you have a warranty issue a year or so down the road you will need a place to a place to take them.  Local retailers are a key to the ski industry and deserve all of our support.  Shop local!
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Thanks Coach.  Like I said - I appreciate all of the advice.  You're an industry pro and know your stuff, and I found what you said very helpful.  On the disclosure issue, I don't feel that you didn't disclose - I saw multiple posts on the forum stating you were a pro rep, and I saw the one saying you moved to V.  

Yeah, I saw that the Cham is in the free ride series, and the Powertrack which the local ski store pointed me to is all mountain, so it certainly is designed more for on piste than the Cham, and more of what I would be doing.  

I do shop local whenever it makes sense and often when it doesn't on an economic basis (beyond skiing as well).  We're getting my son's seasonal rental at the local place.  I don't have confidence in my local Long Island ski shop for a boot fit, so I am going to a master bootfitter near Hunter.  The Chams, which I won't touch before the demo day, are cheaper than any decent seasonal rentals I could find, even with buying the bindings and cost to mount.  I'd like to go to the WF demo day, but given that I am going to the bootfitting near Hunter, and that is a few hours closer for me than WF, I am planning to schedule the fitting around the demo days (Dec 12-13).  Hunter's demo day will have the Cham and the Powertrack.   Stay tuned . . . .
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I didn't take well to others that said I shill for one or another brand.  They don't pay me or even give me free stuff.

Great try out the skis and some others as well.  Buy the ones you like best even if they cost more than the "deal" you got on line.  Life is too short to ski on skis you don't love.  If you live in LI but ski in the Catskills your local shop should be there then.

Once you get them go take a lesson with a PSIA Level 3 cert to learn how to use them best
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Coach Z wrote
I didn't take well to others that said I shill for one or another brand.
And I put an imoticon on it and everything. Don't take me serious big guy.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Missed the wink

While I have a horse in the race I want him to help pick out a great ski he will enjoy.  

I do go to a full day of training each fall from the factory and worked at a pro day at a Cunninghams.  I'm more than a bit more knowledgable on this subject than someone who might have read some reviews on the Internet .