Read again. I lived there.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Advice on Colorado Ski Resorts

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
let's see, the kids favorite resorts in the east are mountain creek, huntah, kmart and Stratton....

I would think park city is the perfect fit with a day at deer valley(no dig or disrespect). if you enjoy those ski  experiences you and your folks will love park city - reasonable lodging, decent enough town (mom will dig it), easy access (totally doable in 3-4 days), tons of intermediate terrain, consistent snow conditions, etc etc

you don't have to be shreddin the gnarliest of the gnar for bragging rights brah to have a great time on a family ski trip!
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
One thing to look into is a epic ski card.  http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes.aspx?cmpid=PPC302702102

You have to buy them early, but with the price of a 5 day ticket, you can have unlimited skiing, and might be able to talk your dad into a second trip.

Winter park is a great mountain, but I dont think it has the town experience that you are looking for.

Aspen and Vail are probably nice choices and if you are looking for value, go late in the season. The snow will still be there in early April, but the crowds will be gone.

Have a great trip and have fun planning.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Never been, but people have some good points about Park City/Deer Valley if looking for a Stratton-esque experience.  Stratton was one of the first resorts we frequented when I first got started some 30 years ago, very nice.

Breck might give more of an authentic western town vibe, along with some more difficult terrain in close proximity if that sways opinions.  People have mentioned Loveland, which is another good ski option close to Breck.  I was going to say that if you do decide on Breck, skip the Eisenhower Tunnel and take Route 6 over Loveland Pass and cross the Continental Divide.  Great scenery, and how many people can say the did that?  Just be mindful of the weather, as you will be crossing at close to 12,000 feet.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Skidds wrote
Breck might give more of an authentic western town vibe,

hahahahhhahaaaa
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Benny Profane wrote
Read again. I lived there.

Hey Tony!  Tony the tourist!!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
If you are only going for 3 days, it's tough to beat Utah.  The town of Park City is really nice, and you have the option of 3 different resorts to choose from. I don't love Park City resort, but Deer Valley and the Canyons are a lot of fun.  They are also lower altitude than many Colorado resorts, which is a plus for those of us who live at sea level.  The SLC airport is really easy to get in and out of, and the car rental is right across the street from arrivals.  In contrast, Denver airport is a real pain.  Last time we were there, it took us 1 1/2 hours to get from the plane, pick up baggage and get to the rental car, which is located way off-site.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Skidds wrote
Breck might give more of an authentic western town vibe,

hahahahhhahaaaa
Like I said, haven't been many places out west, so just speculating on what I've heard.  And I did say might.  Is something like Deer Valley more "authentic western" than Breck?  I really don't know.  I'm sure there are better places to get a "western vibe" than either.  Why do I get a picture in my mind of some guy getting pulled on skis behind a horse in Telluride?
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In Breck you can buy a bunch of T Shirts that have a Western vibe...  then get some gelato...
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I always wondered if that Cowboy bar in Jackson is also the gay bar, too. You know, some sort of cruel joke on the tourists. And the world in general.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Lets face it. Every ski town is a tourist town to a certain extent. If you are looking for an authentic "western town" with a ski mountain I don't think it gets more authentic than cowboys riding horses pulling kids over jumps (aka skijoring).

Its even more badass in person.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I'll throw Big Sky out as a possibility.  Easy flight to Bozeman, then an easy 1 hour drive to the mountain.  Lots of lodging options.  The place is freaking huge, so of course there will be plenty of groomed terrain for those who want it, yet nearly unlimited advanced terrain too.  Chances for quality snow are high given its northern latitude. There is an excellent xc touring center adjacent to the mountain.  Not much of a "town," but probably enough to keep you busy when you're not skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Adk Jeff wrote
I'll throw Big Sky out as a possibility.  Easy flight to Bozeman, then an easy 1 hour drive to the mountain.  Lots of lodging options.  The place is freaking huge, so of course there will be plenty of groomed terrain for those who want it, yet nearly unlimited advanced terrain too.  Chances for quality snow are high given its northern latitude. There is an excellent xc touring center adjacent to the mountain.  Not much of a "town," but probably enough to keep you busy when you're not skiing.
Big sky is pretty cool although flights are limited and can be expensive - Bozeman is a small airport with not much competition, I always had to connect through Minneapolis or SLC. My experience is that it is a better trip later in the season as snow seems to come late to BS.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
dmc_hunter wrote
Coach Z wrote

Huntah dude come on this is a kid you are talking to.  Delete that post.
I speak the truth...  Delete it yourself...
Just to remind this kid you are advising is like 14.  Promoting drug use is got to a felony to a minor in most states.  As a parent of a tween I think you really need to be an adult and delete that post or I will ask Harv to take it down.  As a parent I think he will understand.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
let's see, the kids favorite resorts in the east are mountain creek, huntah, kmart and Stratton....

I would think park city is the perfect fit with a day at deer valley(no dig or disrespect). if you enjoy those ski  experiences you and your folks will love park city - reasonable lodging, decent enough town (mom will dig it), easy access (totally doable in 3-4 days), tons of intermediate terrain, consistent snow conditions, etc etc

you don't have to be shreddin the gnarliest of the gnar for bragging rights brah to have a great time on a family ski trip!

No no no

Park City sucks.  Why do I say that is that at least half of it is made made snow.  It's more icy than Killington on a Monday.  

The kid said Colorado and laid out pretty specific criteria that fit Vail / BC, Snowmass or Steamboat. I love Utah except PC but it just foes not fit what he is looking for.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
Coach Z wrote

Huntah dude come on this is a kid you are talking to.  Delete that post.
I speak the truth...  Delete it yourself...
Just to remind this kid you are advising is like 14.  Promoting drug use is got to a felony to a minor in most states.  As a parent of a tween I think you really need to be an adult and delete that post or I will ask Harv to take it down.  As a parent I think he will understand.
Yawn.....  

Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Adk Jeff wrote
Big sky is pretty cool although flights are limited and can be expensive - Bozeman is a small airport with not much competition, I always had to connect through Minneapolis or SLC. My experience is that it is a better trip later in the season as snow seems to come late to BS.
Big Sky is GREAT!!!!  Some really awesome terrain... At all levels...
Bridger Bowl is not to be missed either...  Place is sick!
I recommend for sure..
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
I nominate Huntah dude dirtbag of the month
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Coach Z wrote
I nominate Huntah dude dirtbag of the month
Feel free...   Been called worse by better people...

I'll hold back what I think of you out of courtesy...  
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
And btw Coach Z ....

If you didn't call me out in public like that and used my user name and were cool about it - I probably would've deleted it...

But you decided to call me out in public...  And then threaten me with the law... Like a total type A hard ass...
I don't respond to that well..  So...

yawn...