Advice on Colorado Ski Resorts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
64 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Advice on Colorado Ski Resorts

snoloco
My dad said that he would take me to Colorado to go skiing within the next few years.  With the airline tickets we would need to book early.  Of course we would fly into Denver.  We would be flying out of Newark, NJ.  I also just want to learn more about the skiing out there since I have only experienced the east.

We are looking for a slightly upscale resort experience that doesn't totally break the bank.  What is the best time of the year to go with less crowds and cheaper rates.  We would be skiing most likely for 3 days which would be Friday-Sunday or Saturday-Monday.  There would be no travel done on ski days.

We are looking for a mountain that does a lot of grooming since we usually stay on the groomers most of the day when we ski in the east.  We would also like some ungroomed areas since we have never experienced western powder.

I want my mom to come since the conditions she likes are an accurate description of what I have heard is out west.  She also does XC and is looking for a resort that has a cross country trail network as extensive as Garnet Hill, Mount Van Hoevenberg, or Cascade Cross Country Ski.

From what I outlined above, Breckenridge really caught my attention due to Peak 7 and Peak 6 that are almost exclusively groomed intermediate runs which my mom would love.  Peak 9 looks great too and there is some stuff on Peak 8 as well.  They also have 32 km of XC trails.  Is this a good choice or are there better places to go with a similar or better experience.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Advice on Colorado Ski Resorts

CMR
Breck is great for intermediate skiers.  It's a wonderful choice if you are planning on going to Colorado and want plenty of mid level terrain.  From what I've seen, the new peak seems to offer intermediate skiing on piste and off trail as well. The village is fairly large with excellent restaurants at all price levels.  I seem to remember that the drive was only about 1.5 hours from Denver.  But be aware that the village is at high altitude.  I think the base is at 9700 feet.  Breck is the only mountain that all of my family experienced altitude sickness symptoms.  

If you haven't been to Utah, you may want to look into it as an alternative to skiing in Colorado.  You can find plenty of fairly priced lodging at the base of the canyons.  It's only a 25 minute drive to the resorts from there.  Salt Lake is an airline hub and flights may be more reasonably priced than to Colorado.  If you really want great groomers I'd highly recommend skiing at Deer Valley.  They also have some good off piste terrain and trees in the Empire area.  Do a search on homeaway or VRBO to look for condos to rent.  I always find it's more cost effective than staying in a hotel.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Well, my western skiing experience is limited......to the Breckenridge area......but I can say it would be a great choice given your parameters.  I was there with my brother the first week of April a bunch of years ago.  Great spring conditions, no crowds.  We stayed slope side in a Marriott, and though the town is big everything was easy to get to.  

As for the skiing, in addition to having Breckenridge, there are a number of other resorts less than an hours drive from Breck.  We skied A Basin, which was incredible.  Breck has lots of mellow terrain, as well as some bowls suitable for intermediate skiing.  Both Breck and A Basin have tons of steep bowl skiing, trees and chutes if you want to test yourself.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I would go to Utah instead. Stay in Sandy at an extended stay America or Residence Inn type where you have a full kitchen. You can get your food at the local grocer and pack your lunch each day. Don't bother with a car upgrade to 4WD, just take the bus up to any of the 4 resorts, also check out the bus pass as it will be much cheaper. Discount tickets are found at Dan's grocery or the ski shops in town, Liftopia has even better deals if you want to commit early. If you want to stay on Mountain check out the lodging options at Alta, they include meals with the room, snowbird is a shuttle away or you can get a combined ticket. If you really want Colorado, my favorite is Copper. Good groomers on the front, great bowls in the back. But the airport seems like it is in another state.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
I have spent multiple weeks at all the areas I mention below

Based on what you outlined vail and beaver creek would be perfect.  Good groomers and plenty of bowls.  Blue sky basin is a great intro to off trail western skiing.  Back bowls are legendary.  Beaver a Creek is 10 mins away and you can stay at either and ski both.  Fly to Eagle and save yourself a couple hour drive and traffic.  No need to rent a car then.  Fits your up scale comment.

Breckinridge is also nice but is super high elevation sleeping at almost 10000 feet and skiing at 13k.  It's difficult to get from peak to peak.  Has major wind issues in bad weather and does not get as much snow at vail and is closer to Denver so it's crowded on the weekend

Check out the past posted TR on both areas. The altitude for your parents at Breck is not an issue to be overlooked.  It sucks to sleep there.

The only up scale Utah area with lots of grooming is park city and deer valley.  IMO they are not as any way as good as vail / bc and are way over priced

One other thought if your creek pass is good at interwest still whistler might be a good deal.

Also IMO 3 days is not nearly enough.  The big cost is the flights ski at least 5 days.

One last thought if it snows take a lesson so you can learn to ski powder
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
I would go to Utah instead. Stay in Sandy at an extended stay America or Residence Inn type where you have a full kitchen. You can get your food at the local grocer and pack your lunch each day. Don't bother with a car upgrade to 4WD, just take the bus up to any of the 4 resorts, also check out the bus pass as it will be much cheaper. Discount tickets are found at Dan's grocery or the ski shops in town, Liftopia has even better deals if you want to commit early. If you want to stay on Mountain check out the lodging options at Alta, they include meals with the room, snowbird is a shuttle away or you can get a combined ticket.
 +1
utah all the way..cheaper, more convenient and snow conditions are usually better..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
This post was updated on .
Breck. Or Keystone, but, you will have no town at Keystone to roam in at night.

As mentioned, be prepared for sleeping and playing at altitude, if you have never experienced that. It's tough. Since it's only three days, take it easy, you will never come close to acclimating. Whistler is the only "western" resort that isn't very high (you sleep at 2000 feet, similar to Vermont, and max altitude is about 7000 feet), but, I wouldn't recommend that trip, because it takes forever to get there and forever to get back. Maybe if you were looking at two weeks, not three days.

But, flying out of Newark, I would consider Utah. Direct flights out of Newark on Delta to SLC. The 6am flight gets you there quick enough to ski the same day, and, on the back side, you can ski the morning and fly back. Just try to use deodorant and not stink the plane up on the way back. A lot of people do this for short, 3-5 day trips. Your resort in Utah is either Park City or the Canyons. Check out http://www.skiutah.com for booking, because every now and then they offer a free lift ticket for arrival day if you book lodging through them.  Alta/Snowbird is for experts and a car. I mean, I do the Draper/Sandy hotel thing, driving up the canyons to ski, (Just did it a month ago) but, for a first timer out west, I can't think of a more charmless place to stay and sleep than down in strip mall hell. Mom will not be impressed. Part of skiing out west is enjoying the scenery. It is cheap though, both lodging and food. Save it for when you know what's up, and you grow up to officially be called a dirtbag.

edit: Just to add, I just skied Aspen for the first time, and came away very impressed. Four great mountains with all sorts of stuff for all abilities, beautiful scenery, no crowds (far enough from the front range), and a cool town. Downsides for you is higher costs and difficulty getting there and back, compared to Denver and SLC. But, then again, if you have a private jet…….
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Colorado...
great snow... great weather... great beer... great legal weed...
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z

Huntah dude come on this is a kid you are talking to.  Delete that post.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny has a point aspen snowmass is really nice and has everything you said you are looking for. You can fly right to aspen and not rent a car which makes up for the extra cost of Aspen.  Most hotels have free airport pick up there.

I can't put into words how much I hate Park City.  It is the most boring skiing in the West.  I agree with the comments to not stay in SLC for your first trip.  We had a nice trip staying downtown but we have done all the other places and it was a unique experience for us.  Check my TR from last month.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
"Benny Profane wrote
Alta/Snowbird is for experts and a car. I mean, I do the Draper/Sandy hotel thing, driving up the canyons to ski, (Just did it a month ago) but, for a first timer out west, I can't think of a more charmless place to stay and sleep than down in strip mall hell. Mom will not be impressed. Part of skiing out west is enjoying the scenery. It is cheap though, both lodging and food. Save it for when you know what's up, and you grow up to officially be called a dirtbag.
Dirtbag - I resemble that remark.

So consider trip 2, Dad my gafaw at the $3k+ price tag of a 3 or 4 day ski trip to the Rockies, which is what your talking about with on slope lodging, lift tickets, car rental, and meals for 3. So let him add it all up, and then figure out how to go a little dirtbagish and milk him for two trips.

Don't let people tell you Alta & Snowbird are for experts only, that's total BS. The sugarloaf area and even supreme at Alta have really nice intermediate runs, snowbirds mineral basin has a lot of gentle terrain and also the Gad  valley. when I take "she who must be obeyed" and is a terminal intermediate, she skies those areas all day long.

The Colorado resorts are great for week long trips because the overhead of actually getting to the ski area is high. I have had so few trips there with new snow, where as with even a short trip to Utah I have gotten many a powder day.

Other tips, fly in Thursday, out Tuesday - airline fares are usually less. Unless you are milking every last minute on the slope, don't try for the 1/2 days on arrival or departure, mom will hate the rush that puts on everything, save that for dirtbag status.

If it has to be Colorado, winter park is also a good option. Buy you lift tickets on the way in before you enter into the mountains, I forget the name of the grocery store but someone here will remember, will save you some cash.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
PeeTex wrote
"Benny Profane wrote
Alta/Snowbird is for experts and a car. I mean, I do the Draper/Sandy hotel thing, driving up the canyons to ski, (Just did it a month ago) but, for a first timer out west, I can't think of a more charmless place to stay and sleep than down in strip mall hell. Mom will not be impressed. Part of skiing out west is enjoying the scenery. It is cheap though, both lodging and food. Save it for when you know what's up, and you grow up to officially be called a dirtbag.
Dirtbag - I resemble that remark.

So consider trip 2, Dad my gafaw at the $3k+ price tag of a 3 or 4 day ski trip to the Rockies, which is what your talking about with on slope lodging, lift tickets, car rental, and meals for 3. So let him add it all up, and then figure out how to go a little dirtbagish and milk him for two trips.

Don't let people tell you Alta & Snowbird are for experts only, that's total BS. The sugarloaf area and even supreme at Alta have really nice intermediate runs, snowbirds mineral basin has a lot of gentle terrain and also the Gad  valley. when I take "she who must be obeyed" and is a terminal intermediate, she skies those areas all day long.

The Colorado resorts are great for week long trips because the overhead of actually getting to the ski area is high. I have had so few trips there with new snow, where as with even a short trip to Utah I have gotten many a powder day.

Other tips, fly in Thursday, out Tuesday - airline fares are usually less. Unless you are milking every last minute on the slope, don't try for the 1/2 days on arrival or departure, mom will hate the rush that puts on everything, save that for dirtbag status.

If it has to be Colorado, winter park is also a good option. Buy you lift tickets on the way in before you enter into the mountains, I forget the name of the grocery store but someone here will remember, will save you some cash.
King Soopers and Safeway. They don't offer discounts to all the resorts though (ie vail, aspen, etc). Liftopia might offer better deals.

Its been almost 10 years since I stayed at Breck and so much has changed but I loved the town. We used to do a big trip there every year with a bunch of friends. If you are looking for the off hill ambiance its one of the cooler ski towns around. We used to always drive down to Silverthorne one night to the mint steakhouse. You get to pick your own steak at the meat counter and cook it on a common grill. Kind of a cool concept. I never noticed the altitude, but I also lived in Laramie at 7400 feet for two years so my body may have had an easier time acclimating. If you go to summit county from Denver and your parents partake in drinking make sure to stop at applejack liquors on the way. Great selection of wine, beer and booze at really reasonable prices. I think there is a king soopers nearby too where you can stock up on food and get discounted tickets. http://www.applejack.com 

Steamboat is also a great option with direct flight access. You can get really cheap lodging there if you stay in the town. Its probably the least touristy/most genuine ski town I've been to (other than north creek:). Try to hit it during the winter carnival. Lots of fun watching cowboys drag skiers down main street behind horses, chariot races, the lighted man, etc. You have the hot springs there too. The mountain has a nice mix of terrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Z

Coach Z wrote

I can't put into words how much I hate Park City.  It is the most boring skiing in the West.  
 Bingo!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote

Huntah dude come on this is a kid you are talking to.  Delete that post.
I speak the truth...  Delete it yourself...
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Coach Z wrote

I can't put into words how much I hate Park City.  It is the most boring skiing in the West.  
 Bingo!!
Agree...
No redeeming value...

I personally think Utah is overrated for anyone that's not totally "type A"

I prefer Colorado or Wyoming...
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
From what I outlined above, Breckenridge really caught my attention due to Peak 7 and Peak 6 that are almost exclusively groomed intermediate runs which my mom would love.  Peak 9 looks great too and there is some stuff on Peak 8 as well.  They also have 32 km of XC trails.  Is this a good choice or are there better places to go with a similar or better experience.
Breck is cool... Lot's of options..
2 of my friends groom there now..  the pictures of Peak 9 and 8 are sick!!
We used to have to hike to that..  And at altitude it wasn't easy for some...

Also... ABasin...  Pretty awesome place... My favorite in Summit County
 Another high altitude hike up to Polar Chutes..    
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Let's stay on track here. The OP is a Mountain Creek skier, after all. Baby steps, right now.

btw, Aspen Highlands has a sick hike on top.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Don't forget Loveland...

if you fly in early enough you can hit Loveland on your way out to Summit County..
Place is chill... Great terrain...  RIGHT on the continental divide...

Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Yup, when I lived out there in '03, two of the best powder days I had were the first two Mondays of April at Loveland, just skiing chair 9. Denver could seem to care less about skiing when it gets that warm down in the front range,and we had the place all to ourselves after a Sunday storm shut that lift down. Tourists never go there.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Benny Profane wrote
Tourists never go there.

But you were there.....  
I ride with Crazy Horse!