Advice on pole selection

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Advice on pole selection

skiwnw
So after much research finally picked up a new pair of new Nordic\XCD skis.  Went with the Fischer S Bound 88 and so far loving them.  Looking for a decent adjustable pole for touring\downhill tele turns and seeing a few options out there, wondering what you guys have experience with and what would you recommend?  Looking for something light enough for extended BC touring but burly enough to possible use with an AT or tele setup, in bounds if necessary.  Any suggestions?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Advice on pole selection

Sick Bird Rider
Black Diamond Traverse.

The Traverse is probably the most widely used adjustable ski pole out there. Simple, reliable, relatively inexpensive. Even if you are shorter, it is a good idea to get the longer size. I am 5'8" and often use the poles at 145 cm, and at 150 I can skate on the rare occasions conditions allow that technique.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I agree on the BD Traverse. It's BOMBER and the joints are even stronger than the rest of it.  Plus the length can be easily adjusted with mittens on, can't do that with those crappy screw thread adjustables.

The rap on them is they are heavy.  I personally don't care about pole weight.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
I have both the traverse and the carbon version

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski-poles/razor-carbon-BD111562_cfg.html#start=2

I have a slew of bent lower shafts on the all aluminum model
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by skiwnw
I've been using Expedition 3's for the past few seasons.  3 sections add versatility.  I use these when on skis and touring with my splitboard... 3 sections collapse nicely for strapping to the pack on the descent.  
Reply | Threaded
|

skiwnw
This post was updated on .
Excellent info guys it is much appreciated!  Sticking with aluminum for now as the last couple pairs of composite sticks I had snapped about a foot from the basket, both Leki and Rosi.  Speaking of Leki anyone have experience with their adjustable offerings?  Had my eye on the Tour Vario and Haute Route models and wondering how they would compare to the BD's.

Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by skimore
BD Traverse all the way.
skimore wrote
I have both the traverse and the carbon version

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski-poles/razor-carbon-BD111562_cfg.html#start=2

I have a slew of bent lower shafts on the all aluminum model
BD sells replacement lower shafts for a few bucks a piece. I bought a bunch in bulk. I've only bent them in the woods at ski areas. I like the swing weight on the alu better. If you are paranoid about a shaft breaking which in the BC, the carbon may be worth the upgrade but carbon snaps when alu usually bends.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In using the  carbon shafts for last 3yrs without issues I believe the force required to break the carbon is greater than what's required to put the aluminum past the point of no return