AirBNB vs VRBO

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AirBNB vs VRBO

billyymc
So I haven't used AirBNB before, and it's been a couple years since I used VRBO, but I'm trying to book a few days in January in Vermont for me and my kids.

Based on what I'm initially seeing, the Fees that VRBO charges are outrageous. Found a nice place for $210 per night but the total for three nights came to almost $950. Exhorbitant cleaning fees, "service" fees, fees upon fees, etc. Fees seem to add about another 50% on the base cost when looking at VRBO. I believe some of those fees can be set by the owner, and some are mandated by VRBO.

AirBnb on the other hand, has a similar fee structure, but the fee amounts appear to be significantly less.

I understand the need for fees. Same thing happens at hotels and resorts. But VRBO is ridiculous IMO. Seems like AirBnB must be eating VRBO's lunch, and dinner.

Am I missing something? I can't see me ever opting for VRBO again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AirBNB vs VRBO

JasonWx
Used AirBNB  on my trip through Italy..Great prices with zero issues..but of course your mileage may vary..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by billyymc
I have a friend who uses AirBnB all the time for ski trips.  She communicates with owners a fair amount starting months in advance and hasn't had any issues.  She only needs small units for 1-2 people.

I still use VRBO for 3-4 bedroom places that I share with my ski buddies.  Stick with units that are actually rented by the owner, not a management company.  I compared the total cost with all fees.  Some owners will waive or reduce cleaning fees for a reservation made early on.  I also communicate with multiple questions before making a decisions.  Often know the answers, such as whether or not riding a bus is an option.  If an owner is slow to respond, usually gets taken off my list of potential lodging.

There is somewhat less risk with VRBO that an owner changes their mind and doesn't want to rent the unit and cancels out the reservation.  Have noticed that as an issue on some AirBnB comments.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
Haven't had a problem with AirBNB. The owners I've used have been great. As always; check out reviews and communicate with the owner about any questions before booking. I usually make something up if I don't have any questions just to see how they respond.
FYI. Many owners list on more than one sight. If you find something on VRBO google it to see if it is also listed on AirBNB or another site and compare prices/fees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
In reply to this post by billyymc
I can't begin to tell you how much I HATE Airbnb.  We have a rental property and they are absolutely terrible to deal with.  The prices posted when you search are not accurate b/c they have some strange "metric" setting the price for you.  They charge both the renter and the rent a fee.  I've found most properties I've reviewed or stayed at (mostly negative experience when staying at a place) charge additional fees such as a high cleaning fee.  Mostly to make up for the fees charged on the back end.  We are taking our property down from the site because it is such a hassle.

We used to advertise with VRBO, but they have changed.  I'm fairly sure they were purchased by AIRbnb b/c they have switch to the same model.  VRBO WAS an advertising site, but switched to a booking site.  AIRbnb is a booking site.  They both skim from the bookings happening through there website.  What's the difference?  They claim it's free to advertise on AIRbnb's site.  That means any jack-@$$ can put up their run down property.  My friends from the city have rented more than one musty old cabin that's rented out four times a year in the Catskills through AIRbnb's website.  AN advertising site means the homeowner is paying to be on the site (think any ski area's property listings) and cares about the property.

One more thing to realize is in resort areas (like when we were in Tahoe) many of the property management companies put their properties on the site as if it is an "owner."  All good and well because it's free, but then they add fees and services to cover costs of what is skimmed at their end.  We had to do the same.  You're better off just going directly through the rental company or finding an advertising site.

Horrible, Horrible, Horrible service.  I'm convinced many people "love it" because they don't want to seem out of touch.  Like Uber "it's cheaper than a cab says everyone that has never taken a cab."  Cabs have no surge pricing--rate is the same all the time every time.