Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Airbag That Saved Skier in Avalanche

tBatt
Yeah, but are people now relying on this airbag to save them, and ski more risky terrain?

The airbag shouldn't impair your judgement. It's like saying well now I can drive 120 everywhere I go, because I'm wearing a seatbelt. If you read the article, they were hosting a comp on a high risk day. I hate to talk down on the deceased, but this was an incredibly dumb move. Would they have been out there without tech equipment? Who knows.

The Avy danger of their location/aspect was rated high (4 on a scale of 5)

In the grand scheme of things, there will probably be a higher number of avy deaths from new technology like this and the avalung. Will more people survive slides because of it? Probably. But the number of people who are actually skiing on high risk days are significantly higher with this new tech gear.  

A high percentage of avalanche deaths are because of trauma. This kind of air bag won't save you from that.

Unofficial Networks recently posted an article about it, which can be seen here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
NPR covers it:

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/20/147164902/science-behind-avalanche-air-bag-saves-skier

fujative wrote

A high percentage of avalanche deaths are because of trauma. This kind of air bag won't save you from that.

The "expert" in this interview seems to claim that a downside to these airbags is making you part of the avi, therefore sending you over the same cliff the avi is heading over or slamming you into the same tree it slams into.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Benny Profane wrote
NPR covers it:

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/20/147164902/science-behind-avalanche-air-bag-saves-skier

fujative wrote

The "expert" in this interview seems to claim that a downside to these airbags is making you part of the avi, therefore sending you over the same cliff the avi is heading over or slamming you into the same tree it slams into.
Thats going to happen anyway once you are caught. Is he trying to imply you have control where you are going? Comment seems a bit odd
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I'm guessing that, by floating on top, you will travel further and faster with the top layer.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
As opposed to travelling on bottom, where you're going slower, still hitting trees and more rocks, and being asphyxiated.

Although they mentioned that it goes around your head and neck providing cushion. I never realized that. Either way, if the risk is high enough that you're afraid you're going to get caught in a slide, why bother going?

I'm not completely against them. I just think that way too many people are going to think they're invincible wearing them.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
I don't recall reading a report where actually being buried saved someone. I like my chances better on top
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
I don't see how air bags are going to impair judgment any more than existing gear and training already do. That could be a slippery slope argument against air bags. More people have died in Avalanches since the availability of better S&R gear and training has been more readily available. More of it is sold. And more deaths happen. Should S&R gear and training be restricted because they cause more deaths? That seems like the wrong way to look at new tech. The greatest impairment is one's own powder frenzied mind. Maybe that case could be made against air bags if a lot of victims were using them and still dieing. Otherwise, it seems like one more tool to have available to increase survival chances... in other words, it is no different than a beacon, shovel, and probe excepting that the victim is involved in adding some measure of help to their survival. Does that mean people will be more risky? Maybe. But people are already more risky because they have a shovel, beacon, probe, and training.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
riverc0il wrote
But people are already more risky because they have a shovel, beacon, probe, and training.
That's essentially what I was getting at. Every bit of information you learn and every piece of gear you use will essentially increase your risk, because it will put you out there. Every new piece of gear seems to be putting people out there on a higher level of danger, though.

riverc0il wrote
The greatest impairment is one's own powder frenzied mind.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
They make a big deal out of the bag saving this woman.  I'm curious if the three skiers who died had the same technology.  People of like minds, who are willing to ski the same conditions, probably equip themselves similarly.  That would mean the others died with the same technology.  Anyone know if the other skiers had the same airbag?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
gebbyfish wrote
They make a big deal out of the bag saving this woman.  I'm curious if the three skiers who died had the same technology.  People of like minds, who are willing to ski the same conditions, probably equip themselves similarly.  That would mean the others died with the same technology.  Anyone know if the other skiers had the same airbag?
Only one

This states 75% are from asphyxia
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
BCA makes them too:

http://www.backcountryaccess.com/products/avalanche-safety/float-airbags/

I guess you need a base jumping parachute too if you get swept off a cliff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
NPR covers it:

That's gonna happen anyway.