Alpine Valley, White Lake Michigan 2/18/19

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Alpine Valley, White Lake Michigan 2/18/19

Mi Skier
After a 4"-6" snow fall on Sunday night I decided to make good use of my Michigan White Gold punch card and go to Alpine Valley after work. I last skied at Alpine in 1999 when my daughter was 5 and she was going for her first time. Not much has changed since then. The hill is nothing special. Most of the runs have a slight pitch but then they flatten out about half way down before another pitch to the bottom. The have one run that has a decent pitch and it stays the same the whole length, but last night they had high school ski practice and they had 4 sets of gates on the trail and it pretty much didn't leave anything left for the public.

Alpine is the last to get mostly open of the four areas in Metro Detroit and you see very few snow guns on the hill. I was told they still use these old snow guns,which don't make the most or best quality snow

I say mostly open because they don't use the part that is not in green anymore, which is too bad because it was a nice beginner area.

Going did serve the purpose of getting some exercise for my legs. Starting Thursday my daughter and myself will be doing a mini tour of the lower peninsula also called the Mitten. We will ski four ski areas in four days.    
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Alpine Valley, White Lake Michigan 2/18/19

Sick Bird Rider
Love these reports, Mi Skier, some of those hills even make Ontario ski hills look big!

The trail map is crazy.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Those guys sure know how to maximize thier real estate. Thanks for the report. These places represent the soul of skiing in my opinion.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Michiganders have a special kind of toughness to ski these places. They laugh at our east coast complaining. Thanks for the report.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Mi Skier
Mi Skier wrote
I last skied at Alpine in 1999 when my daughter was 5 and she was going for her first time...... last night they had high school ski practice and they had 4 sets of gates on the trail....

Starting Thursday my daughter and myself will be doing a mini tour of the lower peninsula also called the Mitten. We will ski four ski areas in four days.
Mi Skier wrote
The hill is nothing special.
Sounds like it is for some people.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.