Alta Conditions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
62 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Alta Conditions

tBatt
Still very little terrain open. 6" of new for Turkey Day, most of it fell before last chair yesterday, though. Lots of stumps, trees, rocks, and shrubbery poking through.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Alta Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks for the update and thanks for starting this thread T. Should be fun to watch.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Agreed - T is one lucky duck. (I hope no body takes offense to the duck reference)
Alta is one of the special places on earth - great in bounds and amazing BC. (That's Back country not Bull Crap).
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
5" of blower on a pretty firm base. Pre storm we had a very wet inch which crusted over below 9000'. The winds buffed some favored areas for a smooth, soft base below the new. Guns still going around the clock with only about 20% of our terrain open.

Monday & Tuesday are looking promising, but I'm working pm on Monday and AM on Tuesday. Life is hard.

This view will never get old.

Superior Sunrise

Superior Sunset
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
WOW! Beautiful photo man.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Thanks RA, are you guys lined up to get his from this storm, too?

Forest Service has posted an avalanche watch. 1-1.5" of water forecasted to fall on the current rotted snowpack, sweet.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I'll let Condor take care of this one, but here's a stat for you. 15" of snow out of .51" of water.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
F'n pixee dust
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
I'll let Condor take care of this one, but here's a stat for you. 15" of snow out of .51" of water.
Freakin' drooling.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
few words, no pictures. deepest snow of my life. only took 5 runs (had to work) but was super fortunate to get out "early".
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
This post was updated on .
Zach, another former Gore skier and first year GMD emp snagged this clip this today.

10 day QPF looks good. Not just in numbers, but it's higher res now and you can use your keyboard keys to control it  
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
tBatt wrote
Zach, another former Gore skier and first year GMD emp snagged this clip this today.
Just looks deep , he's only 4'2" 😄
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
These posts make me angry. Just got this email:

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
mattchuck2 wrote
These posts make me angry. Just got this email:
And now you know why I changed my avatar.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
Peetex, I think that we should all take temporary use of your avatar until further notice.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PeeTex
P -  I guess Duck has the experience to speak to this, I merely read all his posts. Still my 2 cents:

Last year Duck got cheap digs near Pow Mow, bought a season pass, and stayed a month. I don't think it was super expensive. And yeah, last year was pretty crappy out west, very crappy. Still Duck had a handful of all time days when he was there, and he saw some spectacular scenery.  In even an average season, Pow Mow would be borderline off the charts fun for a regular Adk skier.  The mountain has a reputation for being somewhat mellow, with lower than average competition. You might like it. Maybe try some tele.

Dude if you can't enjoy your life know, we're all doomed!  

Go for it!  We are counting on you. Get a sweet pow avatar and post some killer TRs from Utah.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
P -  I guess Duck has the experience to speak to this, I merely read all his posts. Still my 2 cents:

Last year Duck got cheap digs near Pow Mow, bought a season pass, and stayed a month. I don't think it was super expensive. And yeah, last year was pretty crappy out west, very crappy. Still Duck had a handful of all time days when he was there, and he saw some spectacular scenery.  In even an average season, Pow Mow would be borderline off the charts fun for a regular Adk skier.  The mountain has a reputation for being somewhat mellow, with lower than average competition. You might like it. Maybe try some tele.

Dude if you can't enjoy your life know, we're all doomed!  

Go for it!  We are counting on you. Get a sweet pow avatar and post some killer TRs from Utah.
I have been thinking about it, I don't need to get some cheap digs, actually a bunk bed at GMD or the snowpine is perfect, no car, no worry about meals. That's how I would do it. As I said, we have holiday commitments with the Kids & Grandkids and they come first. If it doesn't get better I will consider a trip in January.

At least I didn't use this one - I was thinking about it.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
Save this pic for January.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
frk wrote
Save this pic for January.
Agreed
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
12" new last night with CRAZY winds. Not the blower snow we got on Tuesday, but deep for sure.

BC Conditions are sketchy.

UAC forecaster's insta showed a few pics from slides up near the PC Ridgeline. All remotely triggered, all to the ground.

Wasatch Snow Forecast is putting out a pretty promising report.

Condor snagged a few shots of another Gore transplant today. Maybe he'll chime in with them later. Hopefully y'all get a pattern change coming your way soon.