Alta Upgrade Plans

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Alta Upgrade Plans

PeeTex
Found this today: http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc123/forestservic.download.akamai.com/11558/www/nepa/103726_FSPLT3_3033529.pdf

New lifts planned for Supreme and Wildcat, better parking at Albion and a Tram to the top of Baldy.
Next think you know they will be letting boarders in.

"Boarder lives matter - but not much"
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Alta Upgrade Plans

campgottagopee
PeeTex wrote

"Boarder lives matter - but not much"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
#stillrathergotosnowbird
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
sounds like good plans except for the combo of the Crete and Supreme lift - if I recall that is really super flat before the Supreme lift and you will have to do that run out every lap?  I guess it might make some of the lines on skiers right longer but I'm not sure of the grade there.  I also recall that Supreme is a fixed triple with a conveyor and this says its a double.  It really needs to be a HSQ though.  Long lines here on powder days.

Sno did you read the master plan its great for those into lifts like you are
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by PeeTex
For a summary of the key changes for lifts:

https://liftblog.com/2016/04/30/alta-wants-a-tram-and-a-chondola/

The idea of the Baldy tram caused the most negative reaction in the public comments made before the deadline in late April 2016.  In the spring, the target date for a "proposal" from the Forest Service was Jan 2017.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The tram is likely the standard shock and awe piece to be used later for bargaining leverage. Everyone does that when making proposals for developments on NF lands.

I kind of think it would be cool though, especially if it helps them get Baldy open more.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
sounds like good plans except for the combo of the Crete and Supreme lift - if I recall that is really super flat before the Supreme lift and you will have to do that run out every lap?  I guess it might make some of the lines on skiers right longer but I'm not sure of the grade there.  I also recall that Supreme is a fixed triple with a conveyor and this says its a double.  It really needs to be a HSQ though.  Long lines here on powder days.

Sno did you read the master plan its great for those into lifts like you are
There are fun trees along the Cecret lift if coming down on that side.  It seems that mid-station unloading would need to exist for beginners.  Decreasing the amount of beginner friendly terrain does not seem like a good idea.  I suppose it's possible to have mid-station loading as well.  From the other end, being able to load near Alf's and go straight to the top of Supreme would be nice.  Just as riding to the top of Collins beats the original two-lift approach, especially for adventurous intermediates.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
It sounds pretty much like the Summit Tram at Snowbasin
Not always open but accesses some great skiing for strong skiers
I like how they are pitching it as an alternative to using the cannon for avalanche control
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
The tram is likely the standard shock and awe piece to be used later for bargaining leverage. Everyone does that when making proposals for developments on NF lands.

I kind of think it would be cool though, especially if it helps them get Baldy open more.
Agree.  Some of the objections are not related to access to Baldy during the ski season but the visual impact during the summer hiking season.  Unlike Snowbird, there does not seem to be any inclination at Alta Lifts to run any lifts during the summer season.