classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

An Epic Day (all thing considered) Gore May 4, 2013

sudsnbumps
This post was updated on .
I don't do many TRs but Saturday definitely warranted it.  Rocky and I met Duck at Gear Source then headed up to the gate at Gore (Which never opened).  I guess everybody was at WW Derby.  Total Bluebird Day!  We hiked up Tannery to the Straightbrook Chair...This is where I started taking pictures.

We hadn't gotten to our lunch rocks yet but decided a half beer was needed at this point

We decided we would hike up the Straightbrook lift line to Hawkeye and put on our ski gear there.  Rocky took off after something and ended up back near the lift going down SB Glade...Freaked both he and me and therefore he never left our side after that.  The ski down Hawkeye was more of a test and not a real run...yet

No picture but our "lunch rocks" were an island of rocks on the flats between Rumor and Lies...Next stop Top O'Lies...Duck had no Idea I took this picture

I have a picture of the starting patch of snow at the Lies sign but Nabble doesn't want to load it so on we go.  Lies definitely had the best coverage...sweet and creamy...just like Buttah

Rocky likes chasing Ducks

Next Stop...after another beer...Rumor
Undermining on Rumor was a little unnerving for a fat guy like me...Duck and Rocky weigh about the same so no problem for either of them.  I took the loooong way around the base of Rumor because the thought of dropping 15 feet or so through a blow hole was nothing I was messing with...about a third of the way up I dropped though one to my waist...humbling at the least.  As we neared the Headwall the snow was quite rotten and we found a perch just under the headwall to catch our breath and put our gear on.

The pictures don't do justice...below is Rocky sliding down the lower part of the headwall and he has crampons

Dropping in...

Great cover and nice bumps...after finishing the growler we pack up the skis and headed up Headwaters in hopes of turns on the Darkside...Figuring Hullabaloo would have the most snow, that is where we went.

There was enough snow to ski down to 6 but they cut the work road in so the lower part was basically connecting plow banks.  We put our hiking boots back on at the HP chair and took the work road out.  What a perfect day!
I have only been to Tuckerman's once and only skied the Left Gully and Right Gully...Saturday, I saved 5 hours of driving...didn't have to fight crowds...and could bring my dog.

The only thing is that the Jury is still out on which makes a better hiking/skiing partner...Dog or Duck
If Rocky hadn't taken off into Straightbrook glade...but then again the Duck handles cold weather better

Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: An Epic Day (all thing considered) Gore May 4, 2013

Darkside Shaman
NICE!!!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
Wow GREAT TR!  So cool. Thanks for putting in the effort to post.

Shout out to Suds and Duck and Rocky.  

Maybe the issue with the one pic was a size thing. Images above 4 Mb won't upload.  250k is probably the ideal size for page load time and image quality.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
sudsnbumps wrote

We hadn't gotten to our lunch rocks yet but decided a half beer was needed at this point

pint glasses , spared no expense
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Would you expect any less...That glass was a Long Trail...Jay Peak on the other side
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back