Another Epic Day At Gore 3/10/2011

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Another Epic Day At Gore 3/10/2011

Duck T. R.
 The day started out with 6" fresh pow at opening. I was going to ski until it started to rain, but it didn't rain on the summit all day. After 3 gondi rides they opened the summit. I was back and forth between Straight Brook and High Peaks all day. The snow wouldn't let up it jest kept getting deeper. Don't believe the snow report,  if there wasn't a foot and a half there wasn't an inch on the summit. To top things off I think everyone stayed home thinking it was going to rain. It was like skiing at the Yellowstone club. The afternoon was empty. At one point the High Peaks lift attendant said," I was the only one skiing that lift" and  Straight Brook was almost as empty. I didn't ride the lifts with anyone all day.  Nothing really got skied out, You could get fresh lines in the glades all day. In the afternoon I even stayed out of the unmarked glades, afraid no one would find me if something happened. Needless to say I couldn't leave, I skied first Gondi until they shut the lifts down and didn't even take a break for lunch. The best day of the year. As Suds would say, " Another Day In Paradise"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Another Epic Day At Gore 3/10/2011

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks for a great report Duck. Sound like this was the best week of the year so far.

The report I got this morning indicated that the changeover on the mountain happened around 6pm. I just kept thinking all day... each minute of snow is one less minute of NCP.

FYI the snow report is a little odd the way it works. (I'm quite a student of the report and I'll still don't totally understand it.) Today's 4 inches on the report is since 8am yesterday. The way I see it, they are saying 10" total at the base - 6 inches before 8am yesterday, and 4 inches after that. It may still be low balled, but 10 inches is official total for the event. I've got Gore's total at 139 inches for the season.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ta&idaho
In reply to this post by Duck T. R.
Sounds great--thanks for the report.  We're headed to Gore on Saturday (first time for me), so I'm hopeful things hold up alright.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I wasn't slacking...I had a job interview  I told you it was going to be epic
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Duck T. R.
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harv, I'm glad someone keeps the snow totals. I like to know that kind of stuff, unlike someone we know.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Raining in N. Creek at 11:00 a.m. Friday
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis