Antifa?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
103 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Antifa?

raisingarizona
Like clean coal antifa is an oxymoron. You can't be anti fascist and tell people that they can't have certain beliefs.

Freedom has its price, people need to quit being so sensitive over a couple of hundred 30 something year olds that still live with their parents.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
raisingarizona wrote
Freedom has its price, people need to quit being so sensitive over a couple of hundred 30 something year olds that still live with their parents.
Agree with this, which is why I think Antifa is absolutely no concern whatsoever and why I think this thread is stupid.

But nepa thinks that they are "extremism", a "threat", and a "significant problem" that might cause the LA Riots times 10.

I really just don't understand the double standard. According to nepa, Nazis are a persistent problem that we're just going to have to live with, but he thinks that Anti-nazis are a problem that "will get worse if we don't get out in front of it quickly" and he wishes that they would "keep their good damn mouths shut".

Yes, argue both groups are insignificant if you want. Perfectly fine stance to take. But nepa did the exact opposite when he created this thread, and he still appears to think that Anti-fascists are some kind of important problem that must be dealt with, while actual white supremecists are just some harmless guys that are entitled to free speech. That's my issue with it, and That's why I posted that series of tweets:

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
What are you suggesting we do to stop the unbridled advance of white supremacy?  
I think the Republican Party has to take the lead, denounce the racist in the Oval office, restore the Voting Rights act, stop racial gerrymandering, get rid of racist voter ID laws, eliminate stop and frisk, enforce the 4th amendment for all citizens, support Black Lives Matter, reform the prison systems and educational systems, and stop implying that black people are getting all sorts of "free stuff" (Obamaphones, welfare, etc.) at the expense of white people, which has exacerbated the race problem in the last few years, making for an environment in which a reality show dickhead could start his political career by demanding to see a black President's birth certificate, and then continue to receive outward support from the KKK.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Agree with this, which is why I think Antifa is absolutely no concern whatsoever and why I think this thread is stupid.

But nepa thinks that they are "extremism", a "threat", and a "significant problem" that might cause the LA Riots times 10.

I really just don't understand the double standard.
I'm not following your double standard argument.  Re-read my statements within the entire context that they were written... it's become obvious, at this point that you're only skimming my posts.  I'm not insulted.  I'd be lying if I didn't admit to doing the same thing.  I clearly stated that I see both groups as a threat, but for some reason you seem focused on the fact that I favor one over the other.  This is a reality you have created in your head by selectively processing the information I have written.  

The past few responses feel a bit attackish... you're cherry picking statements of mine, using them out of context to present a picture that bolsters your position.  You've indicated that you think the thread is stupid... why do you continue replying to me?  I won't be offended or insulted in any way if you simply ignore me.

Let me show this picture again... I think it says more than your tweets...

Do you really think these guys are concerned with the overall good?  In my opinion, the pose indicates otherwise.  The pose to me indicates fighting fascism is low on the list of priorities.  They're living out their social media fueled attention whore fantasies.... Maybe in lieu of protesting and attention seeking, these 2 guys would do more good in battling the hate problem by engaging in random acts of kindness.

Let me restate my opinion:  Both sides (the extremes) are a threat to near term societal stability.  By stability, I am referring to the overall threat of societal unrest that could potentially have short-term negative effects on the overall population.  

How old were you in 1992?  Do you remember how quickly things got completely out of control?  IMO: 25 years later, people are much angrier now... much more connected... the potential for the "copy-cat chain reaction effect" (think remotely triggered mob mentality) is much greater.... if something like LA in 92 happens again... it's going to be much worse.

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
nepa wrote
What are you suggesting we do to stop the unbridled advance of white supremacy?  
I think the Republican Party has to take the lead, denounce the racist in the Oval office, restore the Voting Rights act, stop racial gerrymandering, get rid of racist voter ID laws, eliminate stop and frisk, enforce the 4th amendment for all citizens, support Black Lives Matter, reform the prison systems and educational systems, and stop implying that black people are getting all sorts of "free stuff" (Obamaphones, welfare, etc.) at the expense of white people, which has exacerbated the race problem in the last few years, making for an environment in which a reality show dickhead could start his political career by demanding to see a black President's birth certificate, and then continue to receive outward support from the KKK.
I agree with all of the above, but this is not what I thought you meant.  

I was under the impression that there were dudes with swastikas secretly tattooed on their scrotums infiltrating lower level political power-structures in an effort to force us all live the hate life-style.  

Your statement above identifies necessary reforms... IMO: These items don't indicate the infiltration or advancement of a "white supremacist" movement in our government or society.  

I make the distinction between bigotry and prejudice versus people who believe in an Aryan fantasy.  We have lots of bigots in power positions... that's why our laws look the way they do.  Again, I agree we need reform in these areas.
 Relating these ongoing legislative/societal issues as part of an advancing White Supremacist movement is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Antifa is just another hate group looking for a fight ---- whatev
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In a fight of anti fascist with white supremacists/nazis, im picking the anti fascists.  Who side would you be on CampSittingOnFencePost?  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm a lover not a fighter, bro

Chicks dig me baby
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Good piece Scotty.  Clearly this identifies positive results associated with the act of protesting.  I won't argue that if you bring a big enough force you can silence even the loudest group of douche bags.  I also like the idea that the author called out another journalist for being a drama queen.  The tone is a bit biased, but it's well written, and makes a valid point.

This leads me to a question:  Let's say the protest movement eventually silences all hate groups... Let's say the kids at Antifa break records for likes and followers on Facebook and Twitter.  Protesting across the board has been so effective that it completely pushes the hate-lifestyle into the closet.  Now, they're completely underground.  Doesn't this give them an advantage?  All of they're activities become covert... how will we know when they are mobilizing?  

I still don't think silencing hate speech via protest (or the actions of the heroic dudes at Antifa) is the best option.  I would rather keep an eye on the haters (from a distance of course... even if direct engagement protesting were proven to be completely effective at silencing hate groups, it still would not seem like the right strategy to me)  

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
I'm not following your double standard argument..
You've started two threads recently, one denouncing the Charlottesville counterprotestors (not the Nazis that were protesting) and one denouncing Antifa.

Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there, but it seems like you're putting your finger on the scale IMO. It would have been better if you adopted camp's approach to this, which seems perfectly fine to me:

campgottagopee wrote
Antifa is just another hate group looking for a fight ---- whatev
If you want to ignore the Nazis, nepa, why can't you ignore the anti-Nazis? Why start these threads?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote

Chicks dig me baby

Chicks dig scars bro!  How many you got?  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote

Chicks dig me baby

Too many ----- i totally abused myself as a child ----- you will love this one ----- total ammo for you ---- lol

I took a spill once while visiting my grandparents up North. They didn't want take me to the hospital for stitches because it was so far away so their neighbor (a vet) stitched me up. Once we got home my parents took me to our family Doc and he was actually impressed with his work.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Thats a cool story!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
In a fight of anti fascist with white supremacists/nazis, im picking the anti fascists.  Who side would you be on CampSittingOnFencePost?
If you are really an anti fascist you have to look the other way and let them be.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Haha! That's awesome! The Trailer Park boys did the same thing on a few seasons.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
LOL

My Grandfather would bust my balls saying he was afraid I'd whinny like a horse whenever I'd run after that.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
ScottyJack wrote
If you are really an anti fascist you have to look the other way and let them be.
Well said RA.  I totally agree.

MC.  What do you think?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
nepa wrote
raisingarizona wrote
ScottyJack wrote
Well said RA.  I totally agree.

MC.  What do you think?
I think you should take that approach with Antifa, instead of starting threads condemning them.

But if there's a day that comes where I'm forced to choose in a fight between Antifa and White Supremecists/Nazis... I'll already be battling on the Antifa side while you, camp, and RA are still in the middle deciding and equivocating, desperately clinging to your centrist credentials while saying "Both Sides are using disturbing tactics and this war should have been anticipated and planned better"
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
campgottagopee wrote
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote

Chicks dig me baby

Too many ----- i totally abused myself as a child ----- you will love this one ----- total ammo for you ---- lol

I took a spill once while visiting my grandparents up North. They didn't want take me to the hospital for stitches because it was so far away so their neighbor (a vet) stitched me up. Once we got home my parents took me to our family Doc and he was actually impressed with his work.
Where else do you take a big donkey for repairs???