Anyone Ski Sugarbush last weekend?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Anyone Ski Sugarbush last weekend?

Danzilla
Refreshing to get an honest and lengthy explanation from a mountain owner/manager, but boy it seems like the bush was a major cluster last weekend on both mountains. Sounds like major suckage. Also sounds like there have been multiple other major lift issues this season. I especially like the "mouse suicide" one. Poor mouse. This makes the ADK express being down look like child's play.

Email text from Sugarbush is below. Anyone there last weekend?

"Dear Sugarbush Skiers and Riders,

As we approach the midpoint of our winter season, I want to provide you with an update on what has transpired so far and what we expect for the remainder of the season.

While we have had many great moments, last weekend was not one of them. I was away for several days at a long-planned family event, but I spoke to many members of my team several times during the weekend and viewed the scene from the app on my phone. Sunday night was probably the first time I did not look forward to returning to the Valley. Emails were coming in even before I even landed in Burlington.

The Porsche event scheduled for last weekend was planned with every good intention.  Last year it was held on the golf course. But the thaw we experienced made it challenging, so we decided to move it to Upper Crackerjack this year, where we have snowmaking and where the area could be totally isolated from non-participants. That worked well. However, it was a huge mistake on our part to close a third of the upper floor of the Mt. Ellen base lodge and to close down half of Straight Shot. Last Saturday, for a variety of reasons, turned out to be about the busiest day we have ever seen at Mt. Ellen, so this compounded the problem. Because I approved this event, it is I who is to blame, and I deeply apologize to everyone for the poor experience. You deserved better, and this will not happen again.

Over at Lincoln Peak, one of our major arteries to the mountain, the Bravo lift, was not open to the public until 1:42 PM on Saturday. With warmer temperatures, new snow and good conditions, people wanted to ski and the day was very busy. We timed the line at Valley House before Bravo opened and it was up to 45 minutes. Some people thought that it was even longer and that we did a lousy job of crowd control. While this might happen at some other resorts, this is not what our guests have come to expect at Sugarbush. And not what we want to provide. So again I have to apologize to everyone who was here last Saturday.

Although the event at Mt. Ellen was within our power to control, the lift issue was not. Let me explain.

On Wednesday, a battery charger at Bravo failed. That was an unusual event and has only happened twice in the past twenty years. A new one was ordered to be overnighted from Utah and scheduled to arrive Thursday at 3 PM. That day, our lift mechanics attempted to use two smaller battery chargers to get the lift going. It worked for awhile, but then we started to experience a problem in the software program that spaces the chairs. (There is an anti-collision program that prevents chairs from riding into each other.) The new battery was installed but the issue with the spacing continued. Representatives from Dopplemayr, the lift manufacturer, were here both Thursday and Friday and they worked with us to try to solve the problem. A former Dopplemayr electrician, whom we use as a consultant, then suggested that we begin switching out all the electrical components as well as the modem to source the problem. Our team worked until after midnight. By that time, some real progress had been made and we were down to missing just one reference number on the computer screen. Since the wind was blowing over 40 mph at that time, the team thought that this could be part of the problem. So after an exhausting two days, they went home for a few hours and returned again at 5 AM to continue the work. When the mountain opened, we indicated that Bravo was on a maintenance delay and opened Valley House at 8 AM as the early lift. All other lifts scheduled to run that day were opened on time at 9 AM. Finally, by late morning, our team succeeded in getting the program to calculate the last reference number on Bravo. They re-spaced the chairs and ran the lift for awhile to make certain all was OK. The lift opened at 1:42 PM and has been operating ever since.

It was most unfortunate timing for this problem to occur, but I do not believe there was anything that could have prevented it or anything anyone could have done to fix it faster.  However, our team has learned from this and will likely be able to diagnose a similar problem faster in the future. The Bravo lift runs not only in winter but also every day throughout the summer--from the last weekend in June through Labor Day and weekends through Columbus Day--and has proven to be a reliable “workhorse” for us.

Having done a post mortem on that day, it is clear that we should have done a much better job of communicating exactly what was happening and we will do this better in the future. Too many people told me that they were getting inadequate information about what was happening and that they felt our website and apps were not up to date. I should mention that we have discovered that there is a lag from the time we input a lift status into the app until it actually appears, and we are working with the vendor to improve this.

Many of you have also asked about other lifts issues we have had on North Lynx, Valley House, Heaven’s Gate and North Ridge. Over the past five years, our lifts in aggregate have experienced downtimes due to mechanical or electrical issues less than 1% of the time. All lifts, new and old, at all resorts will have mechanical and electrical issues and will experience downtime. That said, if you are here on the day when this happens, your perception will likely be that our lifts always have problems. Although it is true that we have had a few more problems than usual early in this season, they were caused by unrelated problems--from a sheave assembly on Valley House that needed replacement, to an auxiliary starter and ring gear failure on Northridge, to a failed bearing on the drive motor at Heaven’s Gate, and finally last Sunday to a mouse that got into the control panel on Heaven’s Gate and in the process of committing suicide blew out the fuses. In the case of Northridge and Heaven’s Gate, we had to order new motors, which meant that the lift was down for a couple of days. In the other cases, the problem could be fixed in a couple of hours or less.

When lifts are down for mechanical or electrical problems or due to windhold it is very frustrating to everyone, myself included. You, our guests, as well as our entire team here at Sugarbush want nothing other than for everyone to have a great experience.

While we have had several lift closures this year, we are confident that our lifts are in good shape and that we have very able lift mechanics to address issues when they arise.  Unfortunately, as I said, every lift at every resort whether new or old will have problems from time to time. The mountain weather is very tough on these machines. New lifts are not the panacea.

Someone emailed me and asked why there have been no new lifts installed at Sugarbush in the past twenty years. Well, there have been.  In the past twenty years, there have been five new lifts installed: Bravo, Gatehouse, Slide Brook, GMX, and Castlerock, as well as two conveyor lifts (Welcome Mat and First Timer).  Lifts are not automatically retired in 20 years and run well for decades if properly maintained. And that is what I am committed to doing. We will make all necessary repairs and upgrades and replace a lift if needed. Lifts are the first priority when we review capital expenditures.

Given the bad experience of last weekend, a couple of comments were passed along to me. “Win is no longer committed to Sugarbush and intends to sell it.”  And “He has put all his money into real estate development rather than the mountain.” Both are totally false. First and foremost, I and my family are totally committed to the Mad River Valley and Sugarbush and are here for the long haul. Secondly, since purchasing Sugarbush we have funded capital improvements of over $50 million in addition to funding early-year operating losses. $17.5  million of this came from EB-5 investors and the rest came from my family, Adam Greshin, and a few other friends.

These funds have been used to build three new base lodges at Lincoln Peak, replace the main snowmaking pipes for both LP and ME, purchase one or two new groomers each year to keep the fleet current, purchase new low-energy snowmaking equipment, repave the roads and expand parking at LP, install new carpet and paint Valley House Lodge and our Mt. Ellen lodge, install new GMX and Castlerock chairs and the two conveyor lifts, and much more. On the lifts, we have funded numerous improvements in addition to routine summer maintenance. I will not cut corners here. Lift maintenance and other on-mountain expenditures will always be top priority. For instance, last summer we replaced the communication line on Bravo, replaced the bearings in the top and bottom terminals and built a new electrical circuit board for North Lynx, in addition to making snowmaking infrastructure repairs and buying over 80 new snowmaking towers.

Real Estate development is funded separately and all net profits go to repay EB-5 investors for their contributions.

So much for the bad news. And I would just like to reiterate my commitment to making Sugarbush the place that runs well and has excellent guest service. Nothing is more important to me and my team than placing the interests of our guests first.

Now I would like to turn our attention to the positive. As you remember, we opened on Saturday, November 23rd with top-to-bottom skiing at Lincoln Peak for the second year in a row. With good snowmaking temperatures and the investment we have made in low-energy snowmaking equipment, we have been able to put out more water than ever before this early in the season. We plan each year to put out a defined number of gallons on each snowmaking trail to make them groomable and sustainable for the season. Then we rely on Mother Nature to provide the icing on the cake. Of course, if we experience loss of snow due to a thaw, we are prepared to make more but we hope that we are able to complete snowmaking by the end of January and let Mother Nature do the rest. While this does not always happen, February and March are historically the snowiest months and we have already seen this trend in the first few days of February this year. We also make extra snow on our spring routes--Stein’s, Upper Snowball, Spring Fling, Coffee Run--with the goal of skiing on those at least through mid-April and perhaps even into May. In a subsequent Win’s Word, I will go into much greater detail about snowmaking here at Sugarbush and share some interesting facts.

Let me now address one question that is often asked. “Why do you let the snow piles remain for several days after snowmaking?” The reason is to let the moisture drain out of them. This allows the snow to be groomed better. Grooming too early packs-in the moisture and makes for hard surfaces.

While we had very good early temperatures and some nice natural snow and opened Mt. Ellen the weekend before Christmas with 80 open trails, January turned out to be a very funky month with three thaws, significant rain and then quick freezes. Our snowmaking trails held up remarkably well. We were not forced to begin all over again but rather we were able to resurface the trails and let the groomers do the rest. Many of you have made a point to tell me how impressed you were with the snowmaking and grooming during the challenging days of January. Our team appreciates your comments. They take pride in their work. They work hard and are motivated when appreciated. I, too, think they have done an excellent job this season.

With the exception of last weekend, I believe that we have delivered a very good product in a challenging year, and we are all committed to making the second half of the season a great one for you. I realize that last weekend cost us a great deal of credibility that we now have to earn back and we will.

I will close with a snow report. We had 11 inches of light new snow at the summits over the course of Sunday and Monday nights and a foot or more is in the forecast for Thursday afternoon through Friday morning. And there is a potential for more on Tuesday. Remember the holiday storms of 2007. Seven years has passed so we might be due again.

As always, Lili, Rumble and I look forward to seeing you on the mountain.

Win
"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Anyone Ski Sugarbush last weekend?

Face4Me
This is awesome!

Hopefully all mountains will learn from this, and will be much more forth-coming with information when problems occur, WHILE they occur. Nothing is more frustrating than to be "kept in the dark". I think most people are pretty understanding, and recognize that sometimes problems occur. While we may not like it, at least knowing and understanding what's going on can help with our own decision-making processes.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Hmmmmm…..thanks for the heads up. I was planning on maybe doing a day there this weekend. Haven't been there in years.

"The mountain weather is very tough on these machines. New lifts are not the panacea."

Really? Lame excuse for not buying new lifts. Cash flow issues?

I would love to see them merge with the people at Killington. I had that dual ticket in the nineties. It was sweet. Great mountain. The drive back and forth on 100 was very nice, if it wasn't snowing. And, Powdr seems to have the formula down. The lifts work at Killington, and some of them are pretty old, too.

Or maybe they should convince the state of Vermont to take the place over, and use tax dollars for infrastructure needs. Works in NY.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
There has been quite a shitstorm about this on SkiMRV. Seems the hardcore faithful are not happy.

That letter... only got halfway through it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I stopped reading at the sentence that mentioned 45 minute lift lines and then I remembered clearly why I do not ski in Vermont.  45 minute lift lines are the norm..
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
and most times you wait 45 minutes for like 1000 vertical.  a body get out of shape on that rotation....

WF RULES!   
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Wow, must have been a major mess to warrant what read like a transcript from his appointment with the ski-resort therapist. Good on him for owning up to it, but I missed the part where he provides a replacement lift ticket for the inconvenience.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bunson11
I was there Thursday and Friday to ride the storm system that came thru.
SB south was a thorough shit show once the lift went down thurs am we left and went to Mt Ellen.
Everyone at mtn Ellen felt the Porche driving event was the height of arrogance.  I mean everybody was jonesing for fresh snow so badly and to have a third of the Mtn shut down so a few people could test drive 600hp cars on ice and snow...guess what they fishtail!  Why not do what the rest of us do hold the event in a supermarket parking lot at 1am!
I still had a great time but i had to duck a lot of ropes to get the freshies.
I really hope they get their act together for the rest of the season...the locals will mutiny if things don't straighten out.
And the weekday lift lines were not bad at all...5 min tops once things got rolling.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Bunson11 wrote
the locals will mutiny if things don't straighten out.

But, how? Where would they go?

What was this Porsche event? Did they hold it on some slopes?? Man, it's bad enough dealing with the racers closing things down at Gore, but, hey, you can understand that one, but, Porsches?? Like, let the plebes drive Cherokees?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
They were spraying water on the powder to firm up the runout at the bottom. Picture icing up the bottom half of whiteface and then closing half of the terrain for the drivers.

The runout at north is much smaller than the face, but that's the basic gist.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
ml242 wrote
They were spraying water on the powder to firm up the runout at the bottom. Picture icing up the bottom half of whiteface and then closing half of the terrain for the drivers.

The runout at north is much smaller than the face, but that's the basic gist.
I remember when they did this thing last year. I was up there that weekend and wondered how you could get in? Do you have to own a porsche? Do you have to get an invitation? Do you have to show a bank statement? I thought it was very "aspenish" but at least it was away from the main mountain. Doing it at the base like that is incredibly arrogant. I don't care how crowded it was (or they thought it would be) it is pretty much saying "we are rich bitches and you can shove it up your ass cause you aren't as rich as us". I can see why people were pissed. Especially if you have a mt ellen only pass. Add the lift issues to that and ouch. I read some of the mrv posts and sounds like there are some salty peeps over there. People are pissed about the $200 quad packs, the fact that the sun rises in the east, real estate development, etc. etc. I skied the bush on a weekend last year and the lines weren't bad at all. Maybe 5 minutes tops. The bravo lift has been closed all or part of both fridays I was there which made it a pain traversing back and forth to/from the heavens gate area. Still haven't been there when castlerock is open. Hoping to get back there in late march if the stars align.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Yeah, you've had some tough breaks with timing. They usually push to be 100% open before anyone (sometimes opening stuff a little early in my mind).

The griping on SkiMRV honestly doesn't go far enough. He has had a long pass for not being Les Otten while blaming ASC for everything that ever went wrong despite owning the hill for twice as long at this point. I don't want to get into it but the Porsche event summarizes it nicely.

North is the "cheap" hill, and he really expects those second class citizens to put up with a lot. Meanwhile, I like the place to escape from time to time, but without the NorthRidge you just can't ski over there. So no NorthRidge (mechanical hold), no Slidebrook (rumors abound), and you can't ski down to the bottom.

Glad I wasn't there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
ml242 wrote
 He has had a long pass for not being Les Otten while blaming ASC for everything that ever went wrong despite owning the hill for twice as long at this point. I don't want to get into it but the Porsche event summarizes it nicely.

Wow, hey, Otten screwed things up a lot, but, he never had a friggin' Porsche event on the slopes on a weekend day. How arrogant.

This is all very disheartening to hear. I consider Sugarbush on a powder day one of the finest Eastern ski hills, and it doesn't hurt that MRG is right around the corner. As I said, haven't been there for some time, but, sounds like that management is way messed up, compared to Powdr down the road. Too bad.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Bunson11
In reply to this post by Danzilla

When I asked around I was told it was an invite only event for top customers or potential customers...the participants I think had to pay to drive...they set up the vehicles with summer tires and then snow tires to show the difference in handling.  Now if they blocked the gap road and ran from The Glenn to the summit that would be a cool course to test drive a Porche on.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
God hates Sugarbush this winter.

http://www.wcax.com/story/24741949/condos-on-fire-near-sugarbush-ski-resort
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Aaaannnnnndddd, speaking of Les Otten:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20140211/NEWS02/140219854

Here's the holy crap quote:

" "I've worked on some very challenging business projects and more often than not, I've been able to create success. I don't claim to have all the answers, but there isn't a business that I've touched that wasn't better off.""

I can hear a bunch of Killington lifetime pass holders going to the garage for the pitchforks and torches, shouting to each other on their cell phones, "Let's get the asshole! Now!"
funny like a clown