Are we just calling all snow powder now?

21 messages Options
Brownski Brownski
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Are we just calling all snow powder now?

I saw at least two mountains I follow declare a powder day this morning. In the east it's kind of understandable to stretch the definition of powder a little but isn't it a little much to call today a "powder day"? Considering that all the reports are that it's coming down wet and heavy, can't we just be happy it's snowing and restoring the base we lost in the thaw? - hopefully?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
YUKON CORNELIUS YUKON CORNELIUS
Reply |

Re: Are we just calling all snow powder now?

This stuff is more akin to wet cement after first contact. It packs well. Great for creating base and extending the season.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
snoloco snoloco
Reply |

This storm is exactly what we need now.  It will help restore the base at mountains that need it (Catskills).  I'm really sick of curmudgeons like Jason and Benny declaring any non-western style storm a bust.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
bumps bumps
Reply |

snoloco wrote
This storm is exactly what we need now.  It will help restore the base at mountains that need it (Catskills).
This is correct, but Brownski's point is likewise accurate. Plattekill's e-mail blast said 20 inches of new snow instead of powder. Good on them!
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

bumps wrote
snoloco wrote
This storm is exactly what we need now.  It will help restore the base at mountains that need it (Catskills).
This is correct, but Brownski's point is likewise accurate. Plattekill's e-mail blast said 20 inches of new snow instead of powder. Good on them!
Right
I agree that this is what we need. The density will make for a great base
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
  I'm really sick of curmudgeons like.....
The pot calling the kettle black?
Benny Profane Benny Profane
Reply |

Ayyyyyy. When did I ever call on "non western storm" a bust?

Young man, I just skied a few days of Utah powder last week. Now, that's snow. You should put down your nerdy laptop that you use as your Google machine and go ski it.

Betcha you have a Bellayre sticker on your laptop.
funny like a clown
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by Brownski
This kind of bugs me too, not sure why really it's just words.

New snow does not equal powder. Just call it new snow.

Friday was definitely a powder day at Plattekill. I'll bet most who were there would agree.  I'd day the first five or six inches were borderline, but the next two feet were pow. Eastern pow?  Maybe.

When the snow is really good, even if your skis aren't that fat (97mm for me), the skiing becomes almost effortless. I skied all day, and tele'd almost everything.

I'd venture to say that even Jason would have had fun.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
sig sig
Reply |

In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
I saw at least two mountains I follow declare a powder day this morning. In the east it's kind of understandable to stretch the definition of powder a little but isn't it a little much to call today a "powder day"? Considering that all the reports are that it's coming down wet and heavy, can't we just be happy
i call soft spring corn snow powder.its soft, your skies go under it and its the north east.  with so few genuine powder days i will take anything soft and enjoy it.  saturday was wind blown slabs. and it was a blast.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

sig wrote
 genuine powder

So maybe we call all snow powder, but reserve "genuine powder" for well... powder.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp