Article: High-tech gadgets are ruining skiing

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Article: High-tech gadgets are ruining skiing

Marcski
Bring back the simplicity of a tech-free ski trip, says Helen Coffey Once upon a time you would head off on a ski holiday and cheerfully wave goodbye to technology for the next seven days. Mobile? You wouldn't get any signal in the mountains. Laptop? Your tiny, purpose-built apartment certainly d...

The Telegraph:  Full Article Link

Thoughts?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Article: High-tech gadgets are ruining skiing

Benny Profane
Well, OK, how about lifts, then.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Total fluff piece. You could replace the word skiing with, hiking, camping, canoeing, etc. and write basically the same article.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Marcski
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
^ lol

*tents fingers*

Excellent.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Five bucks says she composed that on her laptop in a condo during a ski vacation.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
I ski 20-30 days a year all midweek.  If I didn't have my work phone with me I probably wouldn't be skiing that much.  It sucks, but carry it and sometimes answer email in saddle lodge or on the gondola.  If that is what I have to do to be out of the office with a clear mind then so be it.  

Also, get an ipod shuffle and a mute switch for your headphones and be done with it.  All of the helmet kits have that.  Game changer in my book.  

I also carry a phone and run GPS tracking.  No reason why, just like to see it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I didn't read the article.

The functionality for me of txting is the key.  I've got Verizon which means minimal coverage/bars in the mtns, but I can text from the Gore gondi once I get a few hundred feet up above the base.  It helps me find friends.

Sometimes Facebook is fun, but I'd be fine without it. Same thing for the blog or forum.

Like Footer, if I can follow along on things from work it makes life (and skiing) easier.

IMO the big technology isn't lifts these days it's guns. Big strides in recent years.

Or maybe it's the financing. Everyone is going Low E.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
Back in MYE day, we didn't HAVE ski lifts.  We hiked up the mountain and skied down.  On planks from trees that we CUT with our own two hands.  And you got blisters and sores on your hands so bad that they bled in the cold.  And you LIKED it!  
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
BenedictGomez wrote
Back in MYE day, we didn't HAVE ski lifts.  We hiked up the mountain and skied down.  On planks from trees that we CUT with our own two hands.  And you got blisters and sores on your hands so bad that they bled in the cold.  And you LIKED it!
Pretty much sums it up. These days, I ski with a whistle when I am alone at Jay. If I crash catastrophically, I figure I can blow three times until someone, maybe, hears my call. I do have a cell phone (not smart) but it doesn't work in the Exited States, and only works somewhat in the Hinterlands. I am a big believer in both unconnectedness and personal responsibility while recreating in the outdoors.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
I like using a ski app to track ski days. That way I don't have to add them to a signature or start a thread to keep track.
I also enjoy listening to Pandora while skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
+1 and having blue tooth takes it up another level.  Answer the phone, hear when a text comes in, listen to music all with a push against the ear piece.  
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
The article is really incomplete, because nowhere does the author explain precisely whom it is who holds the gun to her head and forces her to use a smartphone while at the mountain.   I'll bet it's that SAME nay-doer who also makes her constantly check Facebook.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
+1 and having blue tooth takes it up another level.  Answer the phone, hear when a text comes in, listen to music all with a push against the ear piece.
I agree. I got the bluetooth as well. Did you end up getting the Chips?

It's nice not having to take your gloves off!
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by BenedictGomez
BenedictGomez wrote
The article is really incomplete, because nowhere does the author explain precisely whom it is who holds the gun to her head and forces her to use a smartphone while at the mountain.   I'll bet it's that SAME nay-doer who also makes her constantly check Facebook.
Hahaha...Money!