Atten HPD: NRGY by Nordica

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Atten HPD: NRGY by Nordica

campgottagopee
Have you skied these yet??? They have me curious.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Atten HPD: NRGY by Nordica

Big D
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I have not skied them yet Camp. I was hoping to in early Feb., but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I hope it will be sooner then later.

As was mentioned in the Philplug thread they take the place of the H&B series. The H&B was a series of great skis IMO, but time and technolgy move on. I don't know the deminsions of these skis yet, but they're all new molds.

NRGY is also a new boot series. They will have a 100 lasted line and a 102 lasted line. Both will be 4 buckle overlap.

After the SIA in Denver I'm sure they'll put out alot more info.

The only disappointing news I heard was that the Firearrow series of boots will no longer be sold in the USA. I truely love the F1s.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Big D
I can't wait to read Philplugs complete reviews, they are always interesting and well thought out.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
He certainly liked them.....hmmmm
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
I have not skied them yet Camp. I was hoping to in early Feb., but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I hope it will be sooner then later.

Please let us know your thoughts after you've skied them. I'm most interested in the 90's (i think), I feel they would be a good addition to my 84 Pro's and Patrons. I love my FA 84's for 80% of the skiing I do. They're fine in POW but have obvi taken a back seat to my Patrons, as would these NRGY's too. I can't imagine any other ski being better than these Partons in POW. Where I fall short with the FA 84's is when it's super firm and fast. I can ski them, but when it's truly firm, as in hardly edgeable, they just want to go, and go wicked fast --- too fast for my liking.

Highpeaksdrifter wrote

As was mentioned in the Philplug thread they take the place of the H&B series. The H&B was a series of great skis IMO, but time and technolgy move on. I don't know the deminsions of these skis yet, but they're all new molds.

I've never owned the H&B, but I think the H&B series was off the Hot Rod and Top Fuel lines and I've owned a few pairs of those and truly liked them. Heck, I still have my Top Fuels and don't think I'll ever get rid of them.

Highpeaksdrifter wrote

The only disappointing news I heard was that the Firearrow series of boots will no longer be sold in the USA. I truely love the F1s.

I'm a Fischer boot guy now
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
campgottagopee wrote
Please let us know your thoughts after you've skied them.
Here ya go Camp:

I skied the NRGy 100 and 90s on Monday, 3/23/14 at a Nordica demo.

Place: Mt. Snow - for those of you who have never been there the front side is painfully lame, but their North Side has a couple of good bump runs and  some decent tree skiing.

Conditions: very firm groomed, very firm ungroomed and very firm bumps – that’s it…it was very firm.

I know some of you guys insist on the full disclosure thing so I’ll tell you I’m the Pro Rep for Nordica at Whiteface. So yeah I wanted to like these skis, but I’m going to keep it real.

The NRGy series come out of all new molds. The Hell & Back series came from the same molds as the old Hot Rod series. Nothing wrong with the old molds, but it was time to freshen things up. The energy skis have a sheet of medal in it; however, it has geometric shapes cut out of it to make it lighter. Nordica says you have medal where you need it not where you don’t. They call the construction I-core Torsion Bridge TI. The wood core is poplar. Now the Firearrow 84 EDT has medal also (2 sheets), but the NRGy skis are a completely different animal. The FA 84 EDT is a hard charging front side monster made to ski fast and lay down rails with which I love on firm frontside days. I’m saying this because I know several of you reading this already own the FA 84 EDT and I don’t want you to think that the NRGy skis equate because they have metal.

NRGy 100 - 136-100-120 -these will take the place of the Hell & Back, Hell & Back (I know you shouldn’t name a model after a series). The H&B had a blunt tip early rise Camrock profile whereas the 100 also has Camrock, but more of an extended profile rise with a tapered tip shape. Nordica says it’s to help make turn initiation easier and I think it does. The H&B has a flat blunt tail whereas the 100 has a tapered rockered tip that Nordica says lets you out of the turn quicker and easier and I know it does that. The conditions being firm clearly was not a good envioment to get the best out of these skis. While I was skiing them I kept thinking how I would be lovin life if I was back at WF skiing Cloudspin or in the Slides. On the hard pack they held an edge pretty good, had some shake at speed and had rattle on the rock hard ungroomed, and skied easy through the hard bumps. In a nutshell I believe these skis are an easy turner, playful, easy to get on edge and will have great float and be a lot of fun when you have snow to ski on. When you’re skiing hardpack they are OK, but there are better choices. These will be my soft snow go to ski next year and I’ll be excited to get them.

Who would like them: TJF would rock these skis in his beloved new and improved Sugar Valley Glades.

Notice that you can see through the topsheet in the tip and tail. The metal lamanet is solid and wider underfoot. Here's the layup:

NRGy 90 – 126-90-110 the shape, construction and camrock profile are the same as the 100 just 10mm skinner tip to tale, so no need to go into that and further. These skis will take the place of the Steadfast in Nordica’s lineup. The first thing I noticed about the 90’s was that even with the sheet of medal they are still less stiff then the Steadfast which has no medal. I don’t think that makes them better or worse than the Steadfast, it’s just personal preference. They ski like the 100’s except since they’re narrower they’re even quicker edge to edge, less shake at speed, nice in the bumps and will have less float on snow. In the East they will probably have more application for everyday use.  I enjoyed skiing them, but like with the 100’s I wished I had a better variety of conditions to test them in.

Who would like them: Anyone who wants an easy turning lite ski to ski the whole mountain. They will be fun on soft groomers, be great in bumps, quick around trees and OK good in deeper snow. FaceForMe would love these skis, but he just got the Steadfast this season and he tends to use up skis before he gets new ones.

I wanted to try the NRGy 80’s so I could give first hand intel to potential customers, but they were always out when I went back to the tent. Personally I’m not interested in a ski with that type of profile and construction that is that narrow. I skied other skis, but I’m out of gas for now.

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Thanks for the report.

I know I'll be getting a pair of these just can't quite decide on which ones. Right now I'm leaning a little towards the 90's, yesteerday it was the 100's

I have the best firm condition ski in the universe in the 84 Pro, if your man enought to stay on top of these skis they will blast thru anything at any speed. My Patrons are pure joy when there is POW, no need to even think of a POW ski. I need a tweener....now I'm leaning towards the 100...lol

Backcountry.com has em.