Attn. MC2, Coach and other instructors. What do you think of this approach?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attn. MC2, Coach and other instructors. What do you think of this approach?

Danzilla
Very interesting.  I've had a couple instructors at Gore talk about the "Touch" (Pole), Tip (skis), Turn method.  I think that is the right order? Basically using the pole touch to initiate release of the skis.  If you see someone practicing side slide releases you know what I am talking about.  I am not sure I have the hang of the timing but it makes some sense.  I know that if my hands aren't constantly where I can see them I am 1)probably in the back seat 2)rotating my upper body to get my skis swinging.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Actually the release of the edges from the prior turn occurs with feet, ankles and knees before the pole touch.  Aleks Smith Whiteface's Director ( just made ETS Examiner training squad) went over with this with me this past weekend.  Her key was release the edges from the old turn with the hips toward the ski tips then the pole touch.

If you try to use the direct edge to edge approach by using the pole touch you end up having to raise UP to release the old turns edges.  If you don't release the edges get in the way of the flow to the new turn.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
I actually use both depending on conditions. I find that on milder terrain just moving hips forward over tips followed by a pole plant works well to make those edge to edge railed turns, but when it's steep and fast, a pole plant first to give you the confidence to rise over your skis and release to the next turn is comforting, particularly when most of your turns are breaking non-carved like on the headwall of Rumor on a slick day. The more tools you have in your tool box the better.

However I can see where this thread might go -
How many ski instructors does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
25: 1 to screw it in and 24 to debate and over analyze the turns...
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
DackerDan wrote
However I can see where this thread might go -
How many ski instructors does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
25: 1 to screw it in and 24 to debate and over analyze the turns...
Ha ha. I'm NOT a ski instructor so I will keep it going, plus I feel some responsibility to stick up for Mike, since I started it all.

If you check out his thread, it is important to realize that the MANY pictures of intermediate skiers posted there are for the students' benefit. He's using the thread to let people see what they are doing and, very likely, to pick pics for souvenirs of their trip to Japan.

Someone else picked up on the pole plant question and Mike noted that his style may be unconventional:

Mike Pow wrote
rod9301 wrote
Mike pow, you' re joking, right?
No pole plants?
Nice blog rod9301.

No joke about not teaching pole planting. I practice it and preach it so to speak.

I believe that pole planting impedes most skiers' ability to stay balanced through the turn, and subsequent turns.

Eliminating the pole plant turns a powerful effort into effortless power.

My style of skiing and teaching is not for everyone, but then neither is my recommendation of skiing on a shortish, narrow platform in all terrain and snow conditions either.

I currently ski on a 173cm centre mounted twin tip ski with a 112-79-105 profile with Dynafit bindings in Dynafit TLT 5 Perfromance boots. I'm 188 cm tall and weigh 95 kg.

Ian (in the pics and vids above) skis on a 166cm Rossignol B78 Respect ski with a 116-78-105 profile with Dynafit bindings in Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain boots. He's shorter and lighter than me.

rod9301 wrote
And whats up with everyone in the back seat?
Nearly all the pics in this thread are of my students, recreational skiers on vacation.

They're all learning to ski powder standing tall, centred and light on their skis.

Sometimes they nail it, sometimes they don't. The pics are there to show them their development.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
what about my stick the boobs out technique?  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
ScottyJack wrote
It's actually better to have a "shove your crotch forward" technique...

Only half kidding.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Matt is sounds like you have once taken a psia clinic with Mermer
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Attn. MC2, Coach and other instructors. What do you think?

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
ScottyJack wrote
It's actually better to have a "shove your crotch forward" technique...

Only half kidding.
Right on---point your pecker down the hill